Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
marauder is the best and i'm probably only saying that because i never traded with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Mooseontheloose posted:

No team yet but I am taking:

1907 Washington Senators (1)
1986 Pittsbugh Pirates (1)
1973 St. Louis Cardinals (2)
1985 Baltimore Orioles (3)
1966 Baltimore Orioles (4)

WAIT WHO WILL BE THE CROWS LAWYER NOW

The Goog posted:

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH, SUPER LEAGUE!!!

DON'T YOU DARE BE SOUR!

CLAP FOR YOUR FUTURE CHAMPS, AND FEEL!

THE POWER!!!

HOLD ON A SECOND I JUST REHIRED YOU TO BE THE CROWS HYPE MAN

well at least i still ha

kensei posted:

2013 Washington Nationals 2
2008 Tampa Bay Rays 2
2006 San Francisco Giants 2
2010 Colorado Rockies 2
2011 Baltimore Orioles 1
1997 Philadelphia Phillies 1
2008 Oakland Athletics 1

well poo poo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I signed up for one of these before then dispersed after two weeks, so I guess I have 11 points. I'll give it another go

2001 Arizona Dimaondbacks (4)
2001 Oakland Atheltics (4)
1985 St. Louis Cardinals (3)

Death by 1-0 pitching

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 5, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

DOOP posted:

I signed up for one of these before then dispersed after two weeks, so I guess I have 11 points. I'll give it another go

2001 Arizona Dimaondbacks (4)
2001 Oakland Atheltics (4)
1985 St. Louis Cardinals (3)

Death by 1-0 pitching

We two are going to have to have a talk come the offseason, because you now have a Curt Schilling that I would like to acquire. Well, not really "like" to acquire, more "required" to acquire, since I already have seven of the buggers and at this point, my credibility is at stake if I don't get all the Curt Schillings. It'll be a while till the offseason, though.

EDIT: Also, if you quit after two weeks, you never actually were in the Super-League, so I'd say you get to use 12 points. Your team never showed up in the Super-League Reference, so it might as well not have existed.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

TheMcD posted:

We two are going to have to have a talk come the offseason, because you now have a Curt Schilling that I would like to acquire. Well, not really "like" to acquire, more "required" to acquire, since I already have seven of the buggers and at this point, my credibility is at stake if I don't get all the Curt Schillings. It'll be a while till the offseason, though.

You'll have to talk to kensei too.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

johnfw50 posted:

You'll have to talk to kensei too.

You're making GBS threads me, right?

...oh my god you're not making GBS threads me. God loving damnit.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

TheMcD posted:

I'd just like to say, if I had a Curt Schilling on my chosen feeders, I wouldn't trade him to you. Or anyone, for that matter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GVOLTT posted:

I'd just like to say, if I had a Curt Schilling on my chosen feeders, I wouldn't trade him to you. Or anyone, for that matter.

Well, you don't. So bleh.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

HulkaMatt posted:

well poo poo

:glomp:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

TheMcD posted:

He's mine, gently caress off

Schilling is mean old wiener and I hate him and he can be had for good value. I have more than enough starting pitching to go around

e: What's the IRC channel again

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 5, 2015

LegendInTheMakin
Oct 4, 2015

TheMcD posted:

For the record, johnfw50 has claimed LegendInTheMakin as a friend, so things check out.

That's certainly a way to start your Super-League career - be potentially considered to be an alt account for one of the most reviled owners in the league (Bruiser, not Marauder).

I know johnfw50 irl, we're friends, we went to rival high schools but go to the same college now.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

DOOP posted:

He's mine, gently caress off

Schilling is mean old wiener and I hate him and he can be had for good value. I have more than enough starting pitching to go around

e: What's the IRC channel again

synirc.net

#thesuperleague

We need another Flyers fan around.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bring more Schillings into the Corazon de Oro, please :unsmigghh:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am not contributing to the great Mandatory Trade Problem this time around, as I have no Schillings. Or Blylevens, for that matter.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I am not contributing to the great Mandatory Trade Problem this time around, as I have no Schillings. Or Blylevens, for that matter.

Good news, the Blyleven experiment exploded horribly and is over, and the Maddux experiment is dying as we speak. I'm the only nutbar left still collecting the same pitcher for arbitrary reasons, though there still is mrnoun and his Reggie Smith collection - but knowing mrnoun, that will turn out to be a genius strategy that leads him to another Super-League title.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Good news, the Blyleven experiment exploded horribly and is over, and the Maddux experiment is dying as we speak. I'm the only nutbar left still collecting the same pitcher for arbitrary reasons, though there still is mrnoun and his Reggie Smith collection - but knowing mrnoun, that will turn out to be a genius strategy that leads him to another Super-League title.

That's kind of a shame, really. I liked the Blyleven Experience.

I mean, it was a terrible idea, but it's the Super-League. When all life is pain and anguish, you have to find those moments of levity and hope where you can.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Time-warped Blyleven was glorious, but ultimately was doomed to be a failure, especially as me team slowly started acquiring power hitting without me meaning to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Team Name: Yankeesfans.gif

Team Logo (150x150 preferred):

Home City: Philadelphia, PA

Home Stadium: Veterans Stadium. God bless that shithole

DH Preference: Yes

30-Man Roster:

C Ramon Hernandez (2001)
1B Jack Clark (1985)
2B Tom Herr (1985)
SS Ozzie Smith (1985)
3B Eric Chavez (2001)
LF Luis Gonzalez (2001)
CF Willie McGee (1985)
RF Jermaine Dye (2001)
DH Jason Giambi (2001)

BENCH Darrel Porter (C) (1985)
BENCH Miguel Tejada (SS/IF) (2001)
BENCH Craig Counsel (IF) (2001)
BENCH Reggie Sanders (LF/RF) (2001)
BENCH Vince Coleman (OF) (1985)

SP1 Randy Johnson (L) (2001)
SP2 Curt Schilling (R) (2001)
SP3 Barry Zito (L) (2001)
SP4 Tim Hudson (R) (2001)
SP5 Mark Mulder (L) (2001)

LR John Tudor (L) (1985)
MR Greg Swindell (L) (1985)
SR Ken Dayley (L) (1985)
SR Miguel Batista (R) (2001)
SU Chad Bradford (R) (2001)
CL Jason Isringhausen (R) (2001)

MINORS Corey Lidle(P) (R) (2001)
MINORS Mike Magnate (P) (L) (2001)
MINORS Damian Miller (C) (2001)
MINORS Cesar Cedeno (1B) (1985)
MINORS David Delluci (RF) (2001)

Lineups:

Far too lazy for splits. Will re-jiggle later, probably

1 Willie McGee
2 Jermaine Dye
3 Luis Gonzalez
4 Jason Giambi
5 Eric Chavez
6 Tom Herr
7 Jack Clark
8 Ozzie Smith
9 Ramon Hernandez

Pitching Rotation:

SP1 Randy Johnson (L) (2001)
SP2 Curt Schilling (R) (2001)
SP3 Barry Zito (L) (2001)
SP4 Tim Hudson (R) (2001)
SP5 Mark Mulder (L) (2001

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: -2
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: 0
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): 0
Giving Intentional Walks: 0
Pitching Around Good Hitters: 0
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: 3
Bringing in Pinch Runners: 3
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: 5
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -3
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: 2
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 2

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 6, 2015

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

For those of you who are afraid to sign up with your beloved Mets:

The time is now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

What kind of monster needs encouragement to spend the points on an old as gently caress Baryolo to anchor your rotation

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You can even add young Bartolo, CC, and David loving Wells. It'd be the best.

Sadly, somebody already took that Wilbur Wood.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Not so much a pitching staff as a Falstaff.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DOOP posted:

Team Name: Yankeesfans.gif

LR John Tudor (L) (1983)

Also that Cardinals squad has a baby Todd Worrell who's probably a better bet than any iteration of Miguel Batista. Unless "creative writing" is a useful skill in the Super League.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Someone please take the super old Cy Young and trade him to me so that my team can have 2 Cy Young's in their 40's.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

FairGame posted:

Unless "creative writing" is a useful skill in the Super League.

It absolutely is not. That much has become painfully obvious.

THERE'S STILL TIME TO SIGN UP! IF YOU SIGN UP, YOU WILL GET A SPECIAL PRIZE*

*Prize may be specially in ways too horrible for the human mind to contemplate

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Can I make a new tag team partner?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I would be interested in doing one of these. Always been meaning to!

Working on it now.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The prize better be what I hope it is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Curt Schilling on a team called Yankeesfans.gif I cry foul sir

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo there is so much just to sift through

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Ice To Meet You posted:

For those of you who are afraid to sign up with your beloved Mets:

The time is now.
Believe me, I was considering them, but they just didn't fit in with my other plans. If I did change to take them, I would switch out the 2015 Jays, but then I'd have absolute poo poo at shortstop, and I would need to take another 1-point feeder as well, but none of the remaining ones have anyone of note at that position.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Some hints*

1. Concentrate on the shortage positions for your hitters: shortstop, second base, catcher, centre field.
2. Think you found a good player? Go to their career pages on Baseball Reference and SuperLeague Reference. You are looking for hitters with career OPS+ of well over 100, especially in the SL.
Starting pitchers, ERA+ of over 120, relief pitchers need low WHIP (career WHIP of less than 1.3, as a start)
3. If in doubt, consult SLRef. Who knew Rick Reuschel would become a sought-after SL player? Recent seasons are more valid than old seasons.
4. Beware of hitters who strike out a lot.
5. You only really need to pick 14 players, as the bench is not really super-important. Your 9 starting positionals and 5 starting pitchers. Everyone's bullpen eventually devolves into a dumpster fire and maybe you'll find a hidden gem in there *cough Tom Hughes 07 cough*

*my advice is probably worthless, it took me 4 tries to build a team that lasted more than a season and now they are making GBS threads the bed in a dramatic fashion.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How are things with guys who have played multiple positions, or are just listed as 'outfielder' rather than left, right, etc.

edit: HOLY poo poo Shortstop is a dumpster fire

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 5, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ZenVulgarity posted:

How are things with guys who have played multiple positions, or are just listed as 'outfielder' rather than left, right, etc.

When people have played multiple positions, head down to "Standard Fielding" on the player's Baseball-Reference page. That gives you a breakdown on how many games the player played at each position. "Outfielder" means that the player never really stuck to one side of the field throughout his career. So if you have a Babe Ruth or a Shoeless Joe Jackson, they can play left field and right field, but if you have a Ted Williams, he should probably stick to left field, or if you have a Paul Waner, he should probably stick to right field. There's some wiggle room there, though. Playing Ted Williams in right field won't torpedo your team hardcore, you'll just lose a bit of fielding efficiency. Then again, I'm not really big on defense, so maybe I'm making it seem more harmless than it actually is. I played Manny Ramirez in center field, I don't give a poo poo.

Rules of thumb for multiple position fielders:

- The position he played at the most will probably be the one he was best at.
- Caveat: The older the player is, the worse he will be at certain positions (2B, SS being the prime ones) and he will probably gravitate towards the easier positions (3B, 1B, DH). Same thing with players who gravitate from the outfield to first base. They can probably still play their older positions without setting the house on fire, but a 37-year old A-Rod should not be playing short.

EDIT: As for your shortstop problem, don't forget that you still have opportunities to get more players. I started out with jack poo poo for short, then drafted a prime A-Rod in the Dispersal Draft, who served me well until I pawned him off for Schillings, replacing him with Jeets, who has also been good so far. Trading is always an option, and some people in this league LOVE to trade.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ZenVulgarity posted:

edit: HOLY poo poo Shortstop is a dumpster fire
Guys who have played multiple positions usually default to their most-played position as their primary position, but can still play their other positions. Sometimes well, sometimes not so well.

Examples: Playing a young Mel Ott at 3B is generally going to be better than playing an older Mel Ott at 3B, even though he didn't play 3B when he was young. One owner made a team that almost had an infield with only Jimmie Foxxes. Edgar Martinez routinely gets played at 3B, for better or worse.

e. Shortstop can be rough. If you have old-timey pitchers, you can punt on SS hitting a bit if it nets you a great defender. Old-timey pitchers throw a loooooot of grounders, so having a sure-handed guy in SS makes up for a lack of hitting.

At the end of the expansion cup, there's a draft where you can probably draft a mediocre-to-great SS (or any other needed position) to fill a hole if your feeders are threadbare.

Pander fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 5, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Go down to their "Standard Fielding." At the bottom of that table it'll break down how many games/innings they have at each position.

If they're really old-timey it might just say "OF," but it's still usually broken down as LF-CF-RF on the far right. Look at Willie Keeler on the 1901 Superbas, for instance. That 17-9-2013 shows he's a right fielder.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

When people have played multiple positions, head down to "Standard Fielding" on the player's Baseball-Reference page. That gives you a breakdown on how many games the player played at each position. "Outfielder" means that the player never really stuck to one side of the field throughout his career. So if you have a Babe Ruth or a Shoeless Joe Jackson, they can play left field and right field, but if you have a Ted Williams, he should probably stick to left field, or if you have a Paul Waner, he should probably stick to right field. There's some wiggle room there, though. Playing Ted Williams in right field won't torpedo your team hardcore, you'll just lose a bit of fielding efficiency. Then again, I'm not really big on defense, so maybe I'm making it seem more harmless than it actually is. I played Manny Ramirez in center field, I don't give a poo poo.

Rules of thumb for multiple position fielders:

- The position he played at the most will probably be the one he was best at.
- Caveat: The older the player is, the worse he will be at certain positions (2B, SS being the prime ones) and he will probably gravitate towards the easier positions (3B, 1B, DH). Same thing with players who gravitate from the outfield to first base. They can probably still play their older positions without setting the house on fire, but a 37-year old A-Rod should not be playing short.

EDIT: As for your shortstop problem, don't forget that you still have opportunities to get more players. I started out with jack poo poo for short, then drafted a prime A-Rod in the Dispersal Draft, who served me well until I pawned him off for Schillings, replacing him with Jeets, who has also been good so far. Trading is always an option, and some people in this league LOVE to trade.

Alright

So I also don't have to go insane and try to make a certain type of team to account for every single thing in the world then

The dispersal draft just makes me scratch my head, really

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright

So I also don't have to go insane and try to make a certain type of team to account for every single thing in the world then

At the end of the season, the following happens:
1) 25% of the teams in the Sub-Par League will advance to the SuperLeague
2) ~10% of the teams in the Sub-Par League will remain in the Sub-Par League the next season.
3) Everyone else in the Sub-Par League gets blown up!
4) Of the teams that get blown up, usually between 4-5 have all their players put into a single draft, the Dispersal draft.
5) New (expansion) teams get first crack at the draft, since they need the most help
6) Everyone else with a surviving/advancing team gets to stick their finger in the pie
7) New season start!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pander posted:

At the end of the season, the following happens:
1) 25% of the teams in the Sub-Par League will advance to the SuperLeague
2) ~10% of the teams in the Sub-Par League will remain in the Sub-Par League the next season.
3) Everyone else in the Sub-Par League gets blown up!
4) Of the teams that get blown up, usually between 4-5 have all their players put into a single draft, the Dispersal draft.
5) New (expansion) teams get first crack at the draft, since they need the most help
6) Everyone else with a surviving/advancing team gets to stick their finger in the pie
7) New season start!

Fun

Also what about bullpen guys for figuring out who is middle relief or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ZenVulgarity posted:

Alright

The draft is rather simple. We take some of the teams that died the season before and stick them all in a draft pool, then people get to pick players like in any other sports draft. Here's a link to last season's draft sheet so you can see how things look like.

Also, draft note: Your dispersal draft picks, especially your first rounder, will get you VERY good players. Do not just trade them away willy-nilly.

EDIT: Bullpen things! Here's how I put together my bullpen:

CL; SU; SRP1; SRP2: These are dedicated relievers - the modern type that pitches an inning or two at most. You can find those types easily just by looking for the people who get saves and those with few innings pitched per season.

MRP; LRP: These guys normally need some stamina in them, so what I do is I just put my lower-tier starting pitchers in there. Essentially, imagine your LRP as your SP6 and your MRP as your SP7. Some people like to put a dedicated reliever in middle relief instead. Not really sure which is better.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2015

• Locked thread