Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Uncontacted tribes in the Amazon might not have contact with global civilisation but presumably they have some interaction with contacted indigenous peoples? I'm sure they're not totally unaware that there are other people out there, and if they wanted to make contact then they'd probably find a way. Deliberately making contact with them removes all their agency in a choice which has a history of working out pretty badly for people like them.

I have a special disgust for missionaries, I'm sure they think they're doing the right thing but it's pretty much just straight up cultural imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
To be fair, deliberately and unilaterally making contact with them in order to bring them the wonders of modern civilisation (which has historically tended to include alcohol, disease, poverty, extinction etc) does sound a bit like the White Man's Burden, if we're going to start accusing people of racist fallacies.

e: There are plenty of groups that have had occasional contact and remained hostile to the outside world, I'm sure most of them are aware that there is something bigger out there and if they choose for whatever reasons of their own not to engage with it, it's pretty paternalistic to decide you're going to do it anyway because we know better.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 6, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
People keep saying noble savage a lot then arguing that civilising the jungle savages is the white man's burden.

I have no doubt that life for these people is nasty, brutish and short and dying of an intestinal parasite is something that ideally wouldn't happen in 2015, but everywhere you look life is nasty, brutish and short and people are being killed by treatable diseases including specifically in the countries where these people live and for similar groups that have had some interaction with global civilisation.

As long as we're not forcing them to remain in the rainforests, I just don't see how it can be ethical to force them to interact with us.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Weren't the last "uncontacted" groups in Central America Mayan refugees from the Spanish who were just living in remote agricultural regions?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
So assuming we can fix the myriad problems for the rest of the population in the global south, and we can rule out the disease, poverty and exploitation issues you'd anticipate from making contact, how would you actually go about doing it? Would you persist if they clearly didn't want you to, like they attacked the ambassadors or retreated further into the rainforest?

• Locked thread