Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
So in practice how would this be any different than the history of taking kids away from aboriginal parents and putting them in boarding schools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

blue squares posted:

You could bring the schools to them? Have regional schools.

Aside from the practicality, how do you feel about the issue itself?

I find it in problematic even as an abstract because you are abridging the rights of communities of people who are not part of the social contract with the state to determine their own values and culture. Which incidentally violates article I of the UN Charter of Human Rights:

http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter1.shtml posted:

To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;

It's generally accepted that taking kids away from abusive parents if fine, and even forcing them into public schools is fine but that's in the cases where people are citizens of a country and therefore are in a social contract with the state. The state and society therefore has some right to intervene in their lives to make things better for their children.

The issue here is that isolated communities are not under the jurisdiction of states because they have never entered any sort of contract with the state, nor are they part of our society. Therefore I see an over-extension of state power to remove their children to educate them in ways society at large deems correct.

This is actually a pretty good debate topic for college debate club btw

Typo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 4, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What about people who homeschool their children? Should that practice be banned? Forcing people to interact seems like a losing proposition. There is a reason that they have chosen to isolate themselves

Homeschooling is actually illegal in a large number of countries

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Main Paineframe posted:

Your cultural biases are showing. Why do you think a child raised in an isolated culture would be less likely to be able to become a doctor than a child raised in an urbanized Western city? They are less likely to match Western cultural standards for Western-style doctoring, but given that these isolated cultures are isolated, their cultural perception of the medical profession - and the requirements to enter it - are no doubt substantially different and not dependent on Western-style education.

But traditional medicine are often dependent on incredibly dumb practices such as randomly poking needles into energy sphere locations within the body to cure cancer. There's no way that a doctor trained in an isolated amazonian tribe is going to be anywhere near as good as one trained in an actual med school.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Your Sledgehammer posted:

2. Mental Health. I know this one sounds ridiculous, but humor me. Anthropologists have shown time and again that mental illness is nearly unheard of in uncivilized peoples. I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that their lifestyle results in more contentedness, life satisfaction, and just a better perspective on life in general. If you don't believe me that mental illness is incredibly rare among the noncivilized, I'll gladly provide citations. Contrast that with roughly 1 in 5 Americans suffering from some form of mental illness every year.

That's like saying uncivilized peoples don't get diabetes because they don't have the means of diagnosing it.

Mental health is something deeply stigmatized in traditional societies and are often handwaved away with denial or attributed to the supernatural. Thus why few people until quite recently even in industrialized societies are willing to admit the phenomenon even exist.

• Locked thread