Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
People declaring that it's okay to treat uncontacted people as children (which is what paternalism means) provide the strongest example of why compassionate contact is largely impossible- too many people refuse to look at these uncontacted people as fully human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Liberal_L33t posted:

I know this is from many pages back but I just feel like reiterating that both of these are unmitigated bullshit, including the second point.

The experiences and lifestyles of such cultures are starkly limited to the point that cosmopolitan outsiders are fully justified in holding paternalistic attitudes towards them. This is not any fault of theirs, but by the standards of a modern society, such people essentially suffer from a form of socially-reinforced mental illness and should be treated as such.

It actually is wrong to treat people as subhuman even if they have mental disorders. Furthermore, I am drat sure I know a lot more than you do, so I can apparently dictate what it is you do, according to your own logic, because you're suffering from a mental illness because of your relative ignorance. You can start by blowing me, and if you use your teeth, I'll knock 'em all out. Get to sucking.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

Not really. If you insist on that understanding, then all authority contains paternalism, and human beings have not yet advanced beyond that sort of stuff. There's no abstract difference between integrating tribal communes and ignoring sovereign citizen stuff - Any social system extends as far as it is able to enforce itself, and no further. The tangible problems of discrimination and disease are very serious, to the point where they're reason enough to scuttle attempts. But assuming you could work around both of them, it's not actually that immoral to integrate.

What's the point of preserving 'the last vestige of a sustainable lifestyle'? Do you think that, if industrial civilization collapses (not a given, it may not be sustainable now but it may in the future, depending on whether you can close some loops), that they're going to have any better of a time surviving than everyone else? No, what's going to happen is a bunch of hicks will come in, shoot them, and then become the new hunter gatherers (when they run out of bullets for hunting).

Unless you want preppers to inherit the earth, just start hoping it all doesn't fall down.

Saying that it's impossible to have authority without treating someone as a child says a lot more about your life than anything else, and I hope things improve for you, rudatron.

• Locked thread