Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Main Paineframe posted:

Your cultural biases are showing. Why do you think a child raised in an isolated culture would be less likely to be able to become a doctor than a child raised in an urbanized Western city? They are less likely to match Western cultural standards for Western-style doctoring, but given that these isolated cultures are isolated, their cultural perception of the medical profession - and the requirements to enter it - are no doubt substantially different and not dependent on Western-style education.

It's dumb cultural relativism to say that a (effectively) stone age doctor is as good a doctor as someone trained in some variety of science and evidence-based medicine unless your criterion for "being a good doctor" refers primarily to e.g. social standing instead of treating illnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Hahahaha someone is seriously posting about the Noble Savage in D&D

Why is this in any way unexpected? Didn't you know that Noble Savages lived in harmony with nature everywhere they went once they'd killed off all animals sufficiently tasty and dumb to be eradicated by dudes with spears?

also, yeah,

Adar posted:

Paternalism regarding cultures that are objectively several thousand years behind us technologically, resulting in a vastly lower life expectancy* and quality of life**, is probably the correct ideology.
:agreed: in an ideal world where we don't gently caress it up

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

The fact that anyone saying that they agree to "civilizing" isolated groups can only be done so with a bunch of caveats shows that it is probably a bad idea and shouldn't be done.

it's more like "civilising isolated groups would be a good idea but we're bad at it"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I am not sure it is something that you can really become good at. Taking people from their way of life and telling them that this one is better is just asking for all kinds of complications and resistance.

That already happened to many isolated groups though since pre-colonisation jungle shitholes actually had dense populations and big cities not unlike Europe, so amazonian tribesmen in tyool 2015 are probably descendants of people living in a postapocalyptic wasteland. Now the question is do we do it again :v:

Island tribes that always sat on a rock nobody else ever occupied are an exception obviously.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mofabio posted:

Lol someone who believes in the myth of progress in tyool 2015

lol someone who believes progress is an ideology and not a descriptor of more people having access to more technologies and institutions that make life more convenient

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Effectronica posted:

It actually is wrong to treat people as subhuman even if they have mental disorders. Furthermore, I am drat sure I know a lot more than you do, so I can apparently dictate what it is you do, according to your own logic, because you're suffering from a mental illness because of your relative ignorance. You can start by blowing me, and if you use your teeth, I'll knock 'em all out. Get to sucking.

paternalism != oppress all sub-humans

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Did you even bother reading your own link? Because it doesn't refute either of the points I made (hell, this section explicitly discusses a decline in overall health and a rise in social divisions as a result of the Agricultural Revolution. But yeah, neither declining health nor a rise in social divisions could possibly influence mental health, so what do I know?).

Not sure how you are planning to argue against my point about sustainability, considering that anyone could confirm it by reading a single shred of scientific research on what is happening to the environment, or by just, I don't know, walking outside and looking around. If you don't understand that our current lifestyle is wildly unsustainable, then I don't know what to tell you.

Hmm you just gave members of a species living in small roving groups with occasional contact eating a varied diet of intermittently no-to-moderate starch/sugar things a way to sit on top of each other by the thousand continuously while munching on grains and wading through pig poo poo? Oh gosh, the incidence of disease initially increased until they adapted to changed conditions, what a shock!

e: we should, however, note that all the peoples that became unhealthy fat sedentary goons with rotten teeth and no body hygiene nonetheless conquered the world while hunter-gatherers are probably in the minority even among the isolated peoples that people itt want to put in nature reserves isolated reservations

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I don't think you know what sustainable means.

the point, however, stands:

a hundred thousand hunter gatherers may be more sustainable than seven billion people participating to a greater or lesser extent in a global economy with intensive agriculture and industry, but seven billion people in a global economy with intensive agriculture and industry are less unsustainable than seven billion hunter gatherers

• Locked thread