Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Isolated cultures have had such an enlightened experience of being introduced to the wonders of civilization in the past, I can't see what could possibly go wrong.

When the Sentinelese chase off boats with spears I like to think they've got a truly wise man in their society who can see which way the wind is blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not really sure what it is they stand to gain from being 'civilized'

Given that they have been around as long as we have and survived for as long and are literally didn't drop out of a wormhole from prehistoric times sort of suggests that they don't really need civilization.

Given that they have very little to gain, and a hell of a lot to lose, I don't really see how it can be justified in people intervening. Unless of course we just want to feel good about saving the savages from themselves.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Preppers are the ones probably least likely to survive the collapse of civilization, given how most are extreme isolationists and xenophobes of the highest order.

Any successful attempt at survival in a post-collapse society is going to be predicated on co-operation and mutual pooling of resources. That kind of falls apart when you have a crazy dude with a gun who wants to shoot and kill anyone who wants to go near their poo poo filled bunker.

• Locked thread