Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pakled posted:

Not likely considering how well ND handled GT.

Didn't GT suffer a lot of injuries that crippled them during the ND game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spacebump posted:

Didn't GT suffer a lot of injuries that crippled them during the ND game?

GT had a lot of injuries over the offseason, but the squad that started at ND was largely the same that had started the two previous games. It's been during and since the ND game that GT's really been plagued with injuries, I think we have like the second-most injured players in the country.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

GT had a lot of injuries over the offseason, but the squad that started at ND was largely the same that had started the two previous games. It's been during and since the ND game that GT's really been plagued with injuries, I think we have like the second-most injured players in the country.

I mean... if yall wanted to just call the game on Saturday and everybody just come party in Clemson and get drunk and watch the other games, I'd be down.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

Driskel made some bad choices last year but he also played like he was in front of a firing squad. poo poo like him just pulling his arm back against Mizzou and sending the ball flying backwards, along with a ton of other horrible plays, speaks a bit to the kind of attitude Muschamp had towards the offense. Not only did he shackle them in hopes of having his defense win games, but that whole "constantly exploding, impatient, furious ape" persona didn't exactly help their confidence. They were bad because he was bad. In fact, they were considerably deeper on the line and a few skill positions last year iirc.

McElwain might go 12-0 with last year's Florida squad. They were competitive in every game but Bama and Mizzou, and with Mizzou it was a complete psychological meltdown on the offense's side, probably caused by the coach that openly hated them.

gently caress Muschamp now, gently caress him forever.

Just a total back-patting, Saban-wannabe piece of poo poo that swore he cleaned up the 'toxic' culture around UF football and continually blamed players for his own inadequacies.

It warms the cold, dry cockles of my heart to see him giving up 400ypg to Jax St. with a defense full of blue chips.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

It warms the cold, dry cockles of my heart to see him giving up 400ypg to Jax St. with a defense full of blue chips.

Yeah what the gently caress is going on there?? He had some fantastic defenses while in Gainesville. Are the players at Auburn just not a fit for what he wants to do or something?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Spurrier revealed on his call-in show last night that Missouri likely deciphered our signals and knew most of our plays before we ran them, which a) explains a lot and b) is totally inexcusable. The worst part is that he didn't seem very surprised or upset about it, simply saying that we "need to do a better job" of hiding our signals and/or come up with new ones. Jesus, ya think? This offense is challenged enough without handing our opponents our playbook. It might be time to consider the notion that Spurrier's phoning it in now.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I kinda assumed that you made new signals yearly, or at least somewhat regularly.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

I kinda assumed that you made new signals yearly, or at least somewhat regularly.

Man they don't even make new signals through coaching changes. Just ask Bill Callahan

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

RumbleFish posted:

Spurrier revealed on his call-in show last night that Missouri likely deciphered our signals and knew most of our plays before we ran them, which a) explains a lot and b) is totally inexcusable.

If true, that's p. shady

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cnidario posted:

If true, that's p. shady

It's only shady if they were spying practices. It's good pattern recognition otherwise.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

vyst posted:

It's only shady if they were spying practices. It's good pattern recognition otherwise.

Ah, I see the difference. So Spurrier wasn't accusing Pinkel & Co. of Bellichicking, he was just saying they caught on

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I'm sure every FBS tries to crack the other team's playcalling signals. It's just a fact of the game that teams have to work around nowadays by changing their signals regularly.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Lol at assuming Mizzou is competent enough to pull of some Belichick-level poo poo.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Choo-choo, muthafuckas!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really wanna know, with all the auxiliary staff teams have doing things like physical training and statistical analysis, is someone with actual academic training or professional experience in the relevant fields involved in the design and security of signals, or is it just coaches repeating whatever practices they learned from their high school coach?

Dattserberg posted:

Yeah what the gently caress is going on there?? He had some fantastic defenses while in Gainesville. Are the players at Auburn just not a fit for what he wants to do or something?
I'm not gonna claim to know enough about personnel and tactics to directly answer this, but there are a few things I can see. Over the offseason, we lost six guys in the secondary alone to transfer and dismissal, leaving a few talented starters but zero depth back there. Starter Josh Holsey (we've been doing so much shuffling I forget if he was supposed to be a CB or a S this year) went down against Jax St., I think, exposing a lot of freshmen to a lot of playing time they're obviously not ready for. We haven't had an LB that other teams needed to fear since the Tuberville era. I'm loving sick of hearing how much potential Kris Frost and Cassanova McKinzy have every preseason. (McKinzy actually had a monster game against Jax St. that probably saved the victory, a sentence that makes me retch as I type.)

The biggest thing was losing Carl Lawson, the bluest of those chips, in the first half against Louisville. It was one half against a bad offense but the difference he made was visible. Like the aforementioned problems were basically the same in '10 and '13, we just needed one monster DL to mask them. Lawson was supposed to be that guy, and without him we're hopeless.

The penalty problem Florida fans were warning us about hasn't manifested (I don't see a off/def breakdown but at a glance we're ~top 10% for fewest penalties per game), but there does seem to be a discipline/effort problem, like guys saying stupid poo poo about Leonard Fournette and then not even trying to tackle him.

I'll say this: however bad it gets, I'm all but certain that neither Malzahn or Muschamp are getting canned, and I'm fine with that. The mood is not good, but it's completely different than Chizik's collapse. Malzahn may be burning the whole of his reputation with this flop, but he had one to burn and Chizik didn't. The meme that Auburn ditches its coaches at the first sign of trouble is built on a cursory reading of the Bowden, Tuberville and Chizik terms, but none of those situations are really analogous. Bowden never fit in the culture despite his early success and uberbooster Bobby Lowder supposedly had knives out for him over a personal grievance. Tuberville's relationship with Lowder and the athletic department was never repaired after JetGate, and he was plainly doing the same thing our VT fans say about Frank Beamer -- lackadaisical recruiting and misplaced loyalty to an incompetent offensive staff -- coupled with habitual flirtation with lateral moves; pulling the plug on him the precise moment it got terminal was the kind of thing I think fans would actually appreciate their teams doing. You know the Chizik story -- wildly unpopular hire whose success was easily attributable to others and disappeared when they did. Malzahn will absolutely be done if he can't win 8 or 9 in 2016, but his pathology isn't the same as any of those guys.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Cnidario posted:

Ah, I see the difference. So Spurrier wasn't accusing Pinkel & Co. of Bellichicking, he was just saying they caught on

Right. We're the ones dumb enough to broadcast our plays, it's not Mizzou's fault for picking up on it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Joey Freshwater posted:

Man they don't even make new signals through coaching changes. Just ask Bill Callahan
or Jimbo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Auburn needed the help

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Apparently a few years ago Iowa did some poo poo like audible "ohio" every time they ran outside zone and "indiana" every time the ran inside zone and somehow an opposing defense managed to crack that sophisticated code.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

It has come to my attention that there was once a Death Metal Bevo who stood in at the OU game when regular Bevo was indisposed. Why are we going Bevo-less when we could have this evil motherfucker on our side?

Winningest Bevo

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

Winningest Bevo

Saban's hellbeast steed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

FSU didn't even change their signals for their 2013 championship season. They knew Auburn had someone who'd coached for them the year before, and they were still using their old signals. One of the wideouts had to point it out to Jimbo, and then all of a sudden their offense gets going and they stage a huge comeback.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

FSU didn't even change their signals for their 2013 championship season. They knew Auburn had someone who'd coached for them the year before, and they were still using their old signals. One of the wideouts had to point it out to Jimbo, and then all of a sudden their offense gets going and they stage a huge comeback.

on one hand, I love Kelvin Benjamin, on the other, gently caress Florida State and Jameis Winston.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

Driskel made some bad choices last year but he also played like he was in front of a firing squad. poo poo like him just pulling his arm back against Mizzou and sending the ball flying backwards, along with a ton of other horrible plays, speaks a bit to the kind of attitude Muschamp had towards the offense. Not only did he shackle them in hopes of having his defense win games, but that whole "constantly exploding, impatient, furious ape" persona didn't exactly help their confidence. They were bad because he was bad. In fact, they were considerably deeper on the line and a few skill positions last year iirc.

McElwain might go 12-0 with last year's Florida squad. They were competitive in every game but Bama and Mizzou, and with Mizzou it was a complete psychological meltdown on the offense's side, probably caused by the coach that openly hated them.

"If only they hadn't allowed 3 fluke special teams plays and a fluke misfire by their QB, Florida would have won!"

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

I read an article (it was more of a slideshow) this morning about Top 10 Rushing QBs by QBR because I thought Dobbs might be on it, but look who I found instead:

http://247sports.com/Gallery/400548...dseyjpg-3916948

The rest of the list is pretty uneventful.

Greg Ward Jr at #1, who rushed for 4 more TDs last night :getin:

Also I was on tv at least twice last night during the Houston game, the most exciting of which involved me yelling about a defensive holding call.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mouse Cadet posted:

Choo-choo, muthafuckas!

hahahaha yessss

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well i've crunched the numbers and it looks like jim harbaugh and the michigan wolverines are dumb fuckface assholes and i hope anthony walker tackles them all into pluto

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That is way, way more fun than losing.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MourningView posted:

Apparently a few years ago Iowa did some poo poo like audible "ohio" every time they ran outside zone and "indiana" every time the ran inside zone and somehow an opposing defense managed to crack that sophisticated code.

When Al Borges was Michigan's OC they ran in the direction the fullback shuffled before the snap on something like 62 out of 63 plays in one stretch.

some coaches are really loving stupid

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Marquis de Pyro posted:

When Al Borges was Michigan's OC they ran in the direction the fullback shuffled before the snap on something like 62 out of 63 plays in one stretch.

some coaches are really loving stupid
Yeah but the D totally bit on that 63rd time.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxiIgkEoUM

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
gently caress texas

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wichita Falls is really like this, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
so i guess the barrett iin the red zone thing is happening

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Heard dead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Uh oh

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
pssst you're in the wrong thread

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

pssst you're in the wrong thread

Haha, me and everyone else

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
we are posting about the afterlife for the Texas QB

(oops)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I'm tired of all the fan policing and talking down the city for not reaching a 2/3 full stadium after only two wins after decades of poo poo

Like jesus the rebuild is going better than expected wrt on field play, but community/fan involvement is also part of that process and is slower

• Locked thread