Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tranime scholar 2 years ago posted:

Mauk did good in his first start! He's probably a pretty good QB! It probably won't matter because when Frankin is reinstated, he'll be the starter again! And we'll lose a lot! Mizzou Football!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
AP Poll

code:
1.  Ohio State
2.  TCU
3.  Baylor
4.  Michigan State
5.  Utah
6.  Clemson
7.  LSU
8.  Alabama
9.  Texas A&M
10. Oklahoma
11. Florida
12. Florida State
13. Northwestern
14. Ole Miss
15. Notre Dame
16. Stanford
17. USC
18. Michigan
19. Georgia
20. UCLA
21. Oklahoma State
22. Iowa
23. Cal
24. Toledo
25. Boise State

Others recieving votes:
Oregon 39, Duke 31, Houston 31, Temple 23, Memphis 19, Navy 19, Arizona St. 15, 
Mississippi St. 11, West Virginia 8, Texas Tech 4, BYU 3, Kansas St. 1, Missouri 1

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 4, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Emanuel Collective posted:

Louisville is #13 in S&P. Penn State is #20. How do you publish that without thinking that the algorithms may not be up to par

To be fair, a lot of 'top' teams have been inconsistent enough that I'm not shocked that it's hard for an algorithm to parse this season so far.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
A bad VT team lost to Pitt after only surrendering 1 touchdown in the second half. Ron Cherry runs the worst ref crew I have ever seen. I feel nothing.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

I don't know if that was supposed to be a burn on me but we almost blew the Cotton Bowl that year because we kept playing Franklin for no good reason soooo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

tranime scholar posted:

I don't know if that was supposed to be a burn on me but we almost blew the Cotton Bowl that year because we kept playing Franklin for no good reason soooo

not a burn, just saying this has all happened before, this will all happen again :v:

in a year or two you'll be calling for Drew Lock's head when he's throwing 3 interceptions a game with a 39% completion percentage

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So here's the teams still alive or a playoff spot. I'm counting undefeated teams plus 1 loss teams that are currently ranked with the exception of Boise State. I left Boise off because they don't have enough good teams left on their schedule to climb up to the top four even if they win out. 27 teams left with dreams alive.

ACC: Florida State (4-0), Clemson (4-0)
Big XII: TCU (5-0), Oklahoma State (5-0), Baylor (4-0), Oklahoma (4-0)
Big Ten: Ohio State (5-0), Michigan State (5-0), Northwestern (5-0), Iowa (5-0), Michigan (4-1)
Pac-12: Cal (5-0), Utah (4-0), Stanford (4-1), USC (4-1), UCLA (4-1)
SEC: Florida (5-0), Texas A&M (5-0), LSU (4-0), Alabama (4-1), Ole Miss (4-1), Georgia (4-1)
Other: Toledo (4-0), Temple (4-0), Memphis (5-0), Navy (4-0), Houston, (4-0), Notre Dame (4-1)

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2015

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

not a burn, just saying this has all happened before, this will all happen again :v:

in a year or two you'll be calling for Drew Lock's head when he's throwing 3 interceptions a game with a 39% completion percentage

It's true, I probably will. :v:

Although I really, really loving hope Lock makes more progress in 2 years than Mauk did. It isn't necessarily that Mauk is the Worst QB Ever, it's just that he hasn't really gotten any better since his first start. There's basically been no progress at all. He's still making the same stupid mistakes I watched him make in 2013. I don't get it.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Rad Valtar posted:

Ohio State won which is more then you can say for half the top 10 so I'll take it. Also Zeke is good and our defense is good. I still stand by the fact that our offense is better and more dynamic with JT at QB and Cardale is going to cost us at least one game this year.

As a Michigan fan I would say that my current optimism levels are: Vs Ohio State - Starting Cardale: 50% chance to win, Vs Ohio State - Starting JT: 10% chance to win.

It's kind of baffling to me that Cardale is still starting unless Barrett isn't healthy or something.

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

So I haven't been able to watch the last two Michigan state games because I was traveling/am too poor to buy BTN. What's wrong with them?

Defense isn't as good as usual + injuries on offense

Michigan has the look of a really good team, but Rudock is just a terrible QB. I feel like that will keep them from beating good teams. Possibly starting with Northwestern

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So I wonder if the LSU/SoCar game might get moved.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

edit: nevermind.

I typed out all the unbeaten teams earlier and just added in the ranked 1 loss teams once the AP poll came out. Fat fingered Michigan onto the wrong line.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Spiritus Nox posted:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa

New S&P+ rankings hit and even Bill Connelly isn't quite sure what the gently caress. A sample: Arkansas at 17th over Texas Tech at 27th over both TCU and Baylor at 36th and 39th. Kind of fascinating, since most other computer rankings I've seen, like FEI, like Baylor just fine at #3 and TCU around that same range.

Isn't this the model that he says ignore until week 8 or so?

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
The only way I can cope with GT being so bad is blaming injuries. Has a team ever gone from winning a major bowl to looking like they will not make a bowl the next season?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I mean Lock ran a total dink and dunk offense, so it's hard to really judge him. But dink and dunk moved the ball and it's not like Maty could throw that many accurate short passes.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

bvlah posted:

The only way I can cope with GT being so bad is blaming injuries. Has a team ever gone from winning a major bowl to looking like they will not make a bowl the next season?

That's easy, Arkansas 2011 to 2012.

I think that the reason Arkansas would do well in moon polls is that the three teams we lost to are 13-1 with Toledo and A&M unbeaten despite close games against us.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bvlah posted:

Happened to Ole Miss a couple years ago, if you count the Cotton Bowl as a major bowl. 9-4 with a Cotton Bowl win to 4-8 the next year.

It's looking like we'd be lucky to go 4-8 though. :smith:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

bvlah posted:

Ohio State went from 12-1 with a Sugar Bowl win in 2010 to 6-7 in 2011. Although technically they went from 0-1 to 6-7 so I dunno if that counts.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Thoguh posted:

I typed out all the unbeaten teams earlier and just added in the ranked 1 loss teams once the AP poll came out. Fat fingered Michigan onto the wrong line.

You forgot UCLA.

Also apparently this is the first time that the 4 California Pac-8/10/12 schools have been ranked in consecutive weeks.

e: In the AP poll

VDay fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 4, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Yes. It has Iowa over OSU though so seems good to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neil Armbong posted:

because we're not the awful fans everyone projects on us?

idk, I totally get the immense pleasure everyone besides the longhorns is experiencing with the season so far, but for most fans I know it's simply worse than the bad season everyone braced for.

Yesterday was the 1st time I thought maybe we shouldn't keep Strong next year if they don't massively loving improve before the end of the year.

We can say we have so many young starters etc over and over but they've been showing a huge lack of ability to make adjustments during the game and that's falling on coaching. It's one thing to be losing close games but this game and the ND game were worthless and looked like really bad coaching / preparation / mental status of the players.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

That Works posted:

Yesterday was the 1st time I thought maybe we shouldn't keep Strong next year if they don't massively loving improve before the end of the year.

We can say we have so many young starters etc over and over but they've been showing a huge lack of ability to make adjustments during the game and that's falling on coaching. It's one thing to be losing close games but this game and the ND game were worthless and looked like really bad coaching / preparation / mental status of the players.

ditching a coach after two years is assinine in about every scenario. yep, they looked really bad a few games this year but have also two really competitive games. this is what watching a team of mostly young players looks like - inconsistent and bad as a whole. the coaches definitely shrw the blame in this, but not to the point of firing a head coach in year 2. like it or not, you have to be patient with a new coach for no other reason than being able to attract the next.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neil Armbong posted:

ditching a coach after two years is assinine in about every scenario. yep, they looked really bad a few games this year but have also two really competitive games. this is what watching a team of mostly young players looks like - inconsistent and bad as a whole. the coaches definitely shrw the blame in this, but not to the point of firing a head coach in year 2. like it or not, you have to be patient with a new coach for no other reason than being able to attract the next.

I know. Just thought about it. If they end the season in a string of blowouts though with young players not looking like they have developed I think it's worth considering if a particularly good candidate is out there.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Did dabo running down the hill with his team get posted yet?

https://vine.co/v/e2ZVHBXdZDU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dabo has been growing on me for a while.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Did dabo running down the hill with his team get posted yet?

https://vine.co/v/e2ZVHBXdZDU

He is literally Forrest Gump.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

I've never seen Connelly say that, although I've only been following him particularly closely for a relatively short while. I mean, he'll be the first to say that the model's entirely fallible. I just thought the numbers were interesting, that's all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

The scheme they have had with the highly-paid assistant coaches has really paid off for him.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

That Works posted:

Dabo has been growing on me for a while.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

That Works posted:

I know. Just thought about it. If they end the season in a string of blowouts though with young players not looking like they have developed I think it's worth considering if a particularly good candidate is out there.

A particularly good candidate being out there is not a good enough reason. The particularly good candidate would have to be totally committed and waiting in the wings to step in immediately.

There's also the whole AD thing. We can't make a decision like this and not involve the AD who is going to have to live with it. This slam-dunk splash hire would pretty much have to be orchestrated by a shadow AD who would come in at the same time.

Sounds awfully far-fetched for all of those pieces to fall in to place.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Come to Blacksburg, Charlie, our AD is brand new and not stupid.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
The best part about TCU and Baylor being in the top 3 is that neither will play in the college football playoffs come January.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I love how Oklahoma State is gifted a win on a silver platter by terrible BigXII officiating allowing them to stay ranked.

Also, Iowa could blow the doors off of everyone left on their schedule and still barely crack the top 10 going into the Big10 championship because lol Big10 West.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

How has civilization not disintegrated in Texas yet?

I thought the Horns being vaporized by TCU would be an unthinkable event on-par with evolution, interracial dating or climate change.

A&M is good.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I just want to check in to say northwestern looked good yesterday but I am sad that the coolest catch I have ever seen live was overturned. It feels like a lot of those kind of calls have been going against us this year. Did it look like clearly not a catch from another angle? Did the refs have a case for not stopping after our interception? I'd like to know but it's all good because we looked good yesterday even if I lost my voice booing the referees.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

How has civilization not disintegrated in Texas yet?

I thought the Horns being vaporized by TCU would be an unthinkable event on-par with evolution, interracial dating or climate change.

Walmart just stocks more Baylor and TCU shirts, life goes on

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Ernest Goes to the Orange Bowl

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fsu is gonna get creamed one of these games

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pook Good Mook posted:

I love how Oklahoma State is gifted a win on a silver platter by terrible BigXII officiating allowing them to stay ranked.

Also, Iowa could blow the doors off of everyone left on their schedule and still barely crack the top 10 going into the Big10 championship because lol Big10 West.

If they beat northwestern they'd probably make a big jump which fuckin lol. They'll lose something dumb though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MourningView posted:

If they beat northwestern they'd probably make a big jump which fuckin lol. They'll lose something dumb though.

I fully anticipate beating Northwestern and then losing to a garbage Minnesota team who scores their highest point total all season in Iowa's primetime "blackout" game late in the season.

• Locked thread