Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
:boehner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

That Works posted:

I know. Just thought about it. If they end the season in a string of blowouts though with young players not looking like they have developed I think it's worth considering if a particularly good candidate is out there.

A particularly good candidate being out there is not a good enough reason. The particularly good candidate would have to be totally committed and waiting in the wings to step in immediately.

There's also the whole AD thing. We can't make a decision like this and not involve the AD who is going to have to live with it. This slam-dunk splash hire would pretty much have to be orchestrated by a shadow AD who would come in at the same time.

Sounds awfully far-fetched for all of those pieces to fall in to place.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I never minded Texas (Vince Young did us all a favor by killing the ESPN-USC Greatest team ever bullshit) until they got their stupid TV network. I also kind of blame them for Rutgers being in the Big Ten because I vaguely recall them being the reason for the last round of conference realignment.

Here's my highly biased Texas version of how it all went down.

At some point, the idea of pursuing a conference network was floated with the B12 schools, and was voted down 11-1. Unequal revenue division was also voted on and decided by the conference as a whole. Dodds asked OU and A&M if they would try to make a network with him, and was turned down again. He continued to pursue the idea for Texas, but never dreamed we would get a deal like we did. He was quoted at some point as saying it might be worth like $3m.

Sometime around 2010, Texas very gets in to talks with the PAC and seriously contemplates moving over with OU and possibly some other B12 teams. Many of the B12 schools get alarmed that the cornerstone brands are talking about up and leaving them , and they start putting feelers out looking for some place to land.

ESPN offers Texas the ridiculous LHN deal to prevent a couple of football's major brands from migrating to a conference that owns its own network and has a major deal with FOX. Texas takes the money and and stays put. But once everyone else hears about how we're going to have our own network (which they had turned down) and not share the money equally (which they had previously voted for) they start getting scared about what that is going to do for our exposure and our recruiting. Especially when we say we're planning on airing Texas high school games. Dodds really did us no favors around this time, being very pleased with himself and proudly advertising his hubris. Having already started the process of seeking new homes, several schools decide that it sounds like a good idea to go through with it rather than stay to compete with Texas and our money and our big scary TV show and our ridiculous arrogance. Due to fear of our impending might and bruised egos over Dodds being a dick, we see the exodus. CU goes West, OU tries to go West but gets turned down without us, Brasky goes North, and A&M/Mizzou go East. At some point the NCAA says we can't show HS football on our network, but by then everyone has said some stuff they can't take back, and the decisions have pretty much been made.

Now here we are years later, making more money than ever from TV and merch, but our team sucks, we can't fill our stadium, our conference is too small, we have no in-state rival, and nobody actually watches this network we're getting paid stupid amounts of money for (although most cable and satellite subscribers do actually receive it now).

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 6, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh yeah, Baylor also threatened A&M with a lawsuit for tortious interference with a contract or something like that, and IIRC the SEC even said A&M's acceptance was conditioned on all the B12 schools waiving their right to sue over the move. Baylor ended up waiving any claim and allowing A&M to leave on their own schedule. A common interpretation is that Baylor was really sending a signal to Austin and/or Norman, letting us know that if we do anything to blow up this conference before the existing contracts are up, we better make sure they get taken care of or they're gonna tie us up in court and sink the deal.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Gee golly why wouldn't other teams want to play on the longhorn network don't they know they exist to make Texas look good??

Well I mean we made it perfectly clear that we were trying to get a network deal going but everyone refused to get in on the Big 12 Network and A&M refused to get in on the Lone Star Network and OU refused to get in on whatever that network would have been called. So we just kept trying on our own and when we actually managed to pull it off everyone got all jelly.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LeeMajors posted:

I think you mean the most recent expansion flurry, but in the late 80s/early 90s FSU actively avoided the SEC for an easier path to NCs (from Bowden's own mouth).

Oh yeah that brings up another realignment memory that is funny in hindsight. Dodds favored the 10-team Big 12 in part because he believed that not having divisions and a conference championship game would make the path to the national championship game easier. The B12 had a couple shots at the BCSNCG get blown by an upset in the conference championship and not everyone was playing them at the time. Anyway, now everyone else has the conference championship game and early indications are we'll have to hope for an upset in some other conference's championship game if we want to get in to the playoffs.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
So an open records request turned up this email from the parent of an unnamed recruit, sent on January 30 of this year:

quote:

I would like to request a meeting with you (Arthur Johnson, director of football ops), Steve Patterson, President Powers and Charlie Strong. In this meeting I would like to discuss my concerns regarding a recent phone conversation with Coach Strong where I was threatened and cursed. This is a very serious issue and one that I feel needs to be addressed by the appropriate university officials.

As a parent and as an African American man I feel very disrespected by the language and tone in which Coach Strong spoke to me. Coach Strong has purported himself to be a man of integrity and an advocate of his Core Values that speak to Honesty and Respect. In his recent interaction with me he showed neither of those and I want to make sure he is held accountable for his actions the same way he holds student athletes accountable. If Coach Strong is the man he presents himself to be than I expect nothing less than an admission to what he said and an in-person apology.

"Is Charlie Strong gonna have to choke a bitch?"

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh god Bevo is sick/possibly dying and won't be making the trip to Dallas. How depressingly apropos.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

What do they do with Bevo after he dies? Can like some crazy A&M booster order a big batch of Bevo steaks? Do they auction off the horns for oil barrons to affix to the front of their limos? Do they make special limited edition seat covers out of his hide? I feel like there's a potentially under developed revenue stream here.

The very first one was apparently eaten by both Texas and A&M's football teams because there was no money to house/care for it and it couldn't just roam around campus. Nowadays they're privately owned so basically the owner can do whatever the hell they want with them after they retire/die. The last one is mounted on a wall at the ranch of his owners, who also own the current one.

And yes, Bevo is cared for by A&M vets, and makes occasional trips to College Station under tight guard. He comes from a house divided, too. He's owned by a husband and wife, one of whom went to A&M and the other of whom went to Texas.

:3:

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
honk em horns

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Fluffdaddy posted:

All of this sounds kind of silly and petty as gently caress.

Well the whole thing about caring which group of teenagers wins a game is silly, and getting mad at anyone over it is kind of petty. But Mack Brown did in fact allow a cancerous culture to develop in this program, to the point that even blue-chip recruits were seemingly ruined beyond repair. Many of those former coveted recruits who got dismissed or quit were playing terribly before Strong got here and have not landed at other programs. Good players can rob, rape, and punch their way through life and still get picked up by someone. Bad players who don't try and are toxic to morale get left alone. I mean there was more than just poor evaluation going on. We could not have had that many straight up busts.

On Twitter, Rod Babers reacted the article by noting that coaches who criticize Mack still feel the need to do so anonymously. Quandre Diggs (who was there for Mack's last 3 years and Strong's first, and whose attitude always stood out from the crowd) responded "a lot of it is the truth big bro don't be oblivious.. the place was a mess."

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It has come to my attention that there was once a Death Metal Bevo who stood in at the OU game when regular Bevo was indisposed. Why are we going Bevo-less when we could have this evil motherfucker on our side?

• Locked thread