Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Iowa State is not going to go winless in the Big XII this season. We're not the most terrible team! And actually both the teams we've lost to are probably going to be ranked come noon. Which isn't much. But it is something. Also, out holder owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Enlitynd posted:

I am also waiting for the wheels to fall off. We can't keep getting lucky at the end of every game.

'Lucky'

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My new totally wrong playoff team predictions
Week 4: Ohio State, Baylor, Ole Miss, UCLA/Utah Winner
Week 5: Ohio State, Baylor, Alabama, Florida State

Baylor is the only one I actually feel reasonably confident about. I think Ohio State will continue to stumble through a weak Big Ten (ala FSU last season). 'Bama could easily drop another game, but LSU and A&M don't seem impressive enough to not drop at least two, so I didn't slot them in. Alabama is basically the placeholder SEC team for now. And Florida State will probably get in after Clemson Clemsons against them and then they end the regular season with a win over what will by then be a pretty overrated Florida team.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 4, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mukaikubo posted:

*Purdue chokes away the chance for a national headline upset against Michigan State*

Despite half the top 10 losing, yesterday still felt like one of those days where you think there is going to be chaos based on halftime scores but by the time the final whistle blows order is restored and Katy Perry has gone to bed early.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Barry did it in less games, too. 11 game season, no championship game, and bowl stats didn't count.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Looking at Sander's record, Oklahoma State played Texas Tech in Tokyo that year. Apparently that was a thing for one game a year from 1977 to 1993. What the hell?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Coaches Poll
code:
1.  Ohio State
2.  TCU
3.  Michigan State
4.  Baylor
5.  LSU
6.  Clemson
7.  Utah
8.  Florida State
9.  Oklahoma
10. Alabama
11. Texas A&M
12. Florida
13. Ole Miss
14. Northwestern
15. Notre Dame
16. Georgia
17. USC
18. Stanford
19. Oklahoma State
20. UCLA
21. Michigan
22. Cal
23. Iowa
24. Boise State
25. Memphis

Others Receiving Votes:
Oregon 64; Duke 59; West Virginia 31; Toledo 24; Kansas State 17; Arizona State 16; 
Temple 16; Mississippi State 14; Navy 12; Houston 11; Kentucky 6; Arizona 5; 
North Carolina 4; Missouri 4; Wisconsin 4; Illinois 2; Indiana 2.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

K-State is getting a letter for that one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

go3 posted:

now k-state knows what its like to be playing them!

It's K-State, not Texas (Or Kansas come basketball season)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
AP Poll

code:
1.  Ohio State
2.  TCU
3.  Baylor
4.  Michigan State
5.  Utah
6.  Clemson
7.  LSU
8.  Alabama
9.  Texas A&M
10. Oklahoma
11. Florida
12. Florida State
13. Northwestern
14. Ole Miss
15. Notre Dame
16. Stanford
17. USC
18. Michigan
19. Georgia
20. UCLA
21. Oklahoma State
22. Iowa
23. Cal
24. Toledo
25. Boise State

Others recieving votes:
Oregon 39, Duke 31, Houston 31, Temple 23, Memphis 19, Navy 19, Arizona St. 15, 
Mississippi St. 11, West Virginia 8, Texas Tech 4, BYU 3, Kansas St. 1, Missouri 1

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 4, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So here's the teams still alive or a playoff spot. I'm counting undefeated teams plus 1 loss teams that are currently ranked with the exception of Boise State. I left Boise off because they don't have enough good teams left on their schedule to climb up to the top four even if they win out. 27 teams left with dreams alive.

ACC: Florida State (4-0), Clemson (4-0)
Big XII: TCU (5-0), Oklahoma State (5-0), Baylor (4-0), Oklahoma (4-0)
Big Ten: Ohio State (5-0), Michigan State (5-0), Northwestern (5-0), Iowa (5-0), Michigan (4-1)
Pac-12: Cal (5-0), Utah (4-0), Stanford (4-1), USC (4-1), UCLA (4-1)
SEC: Florida (5-0), Texas A&M (5-0), LSU (4-0), Alabama (4-1), Ole Miss (4-1), Georgia (4-1)
Other: Toledo (4-0), Temple (4-0), Memphis (5-0), Navy (4-0), Houston, (4-0), Notre Dame (4-1)

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

edit: nevermind.

I typed out all the unbeaten teams earlier and just added in the ranked 1 loss teams once the AP poll came out. Fat fingered Michigan onto the wrong line.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
K-State got its letter

Big XII posted:

Big 12 Conference supervisor of officials Walt Anderson acknowledges improper first-down distance enforcement occurred during Saturday's K-State at Oklahoma State game. During the second-quarter, with the ball at the K-State 45, OSU was flagged for offensive holding during a 41-yard pass completion. After the 10-yard penalty was marked off, moving the ball back to the OSU 45, the chains were mistakingly set for the yard-to-gain.

"Accurracy and adherence to Conference policies and officiating mechanics are vital to the proper administration of the rules in all games," said Anderson. "Disciplinary actions will be addressed with both the field officials and chain crew."

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ehud posted:

“I feel like he did the right thing and that’s my man, Coach Mac.” -Kelvin Taylor

yelling like a maniac is a cool and good thing as long as you don't do it constantly like Muschamp?

As long as you win. Once you lose it becomes not cool and not good. But while you are winning it is just instilling discipline.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Next time I'm just waiting until Monday morning when I have two monitors rather than trying to do this on a laptop. So hopefully I didn't miss any teams this time.

There are 20 undefeated teams left. Additionally, there are 8 teams that have one loss but are ranked by the AP and have enough left on their schedule that they could end up in the top 4 if they win out:
ACC: Florida State (4-0), Clemson (4-0)
Big XII: TCU (5-0), Oklahoma State (5-0), Baylor (4-0), Oklahoma (4-0)
Big Ten: Ohio State (5-0), Michigan State (5-0), Northwestern (5-0), Iowa (5-0), Michigan (4-1)
Pac-12: Cal (5-0), Utah (5-0), Stanford (4-1), USC (5-1), UCLA (4-1)
SEC: Florida (5-0), Texas A&M (5-0), LSU (4-0) , Alabama (4-1), Ole Miss (4-1), Georgia (4-1)
Other: Temple (4-0), Memphis (5-0), Navy (4-0), Houston (4-0), Toledo (4-0), Notre Dame (4-1)

28 teams left alive for the playoffs. There are some other 1 loss teams that could conceivably make a run due to having a bunch of ranked teams on their schedule. But for the sake of simplicity I'm going to assume those teams have at least one more loss coming before December and not count them.

Only three games this weekend between that group of teams:
Northwestern @ Michigan
Notre Dame @ Navy
Cal @ Utah

5 or 6 games the week after (depending on the outcome of the Notre Dame game plus losing for sure one of Michigan/Northwestern). Obviously some of these teams could lose in Week 6 and take themselves out of consideration without getting this far:
Memphis @ Ole Miss
USC @ Notre Dame
Michigan State @ Michigan
Iowa @ Northwestern
UCLA @ Stanford
Florida @ LSU
Alabama @ Texas A&M

Memphis beating Ole Miss would be the greatest thing and needs to happen.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

They lost a spot, so :shrug:

And seriously, K-State was "gifted" ALL of its touchdowns in that game by bullshit flags thrown after Kstate failed to convert 3rd and longs.

The call that Oklahoma State got wasn't just a bad call. Even the worst call generally at least has some level of judgement involved and at the end of the day no ref is going to overturn a judgement call after the fact. The only call in Big XII history I can think of that was equally just straight up wrong is when Kansas shot a three pointer between free throws in a game against Iowa State and the refs allowed it to stand. That call was "Snyder should have just refused to take the field until it was fixed" levels of wrong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

It wasn't even a "call." It was misplaced field markers. And it didn't even decide the outcome of the game. It was a 3rd down play and K State gave up a 25 yard completion the very next snap. Why is this such an injustice?

e: Whats sad is that Mason Rudolph went 10/14 on passes on 3rd and 4th downs, all resulting in 1st down conversions. But no one will remember that, just :argh: refs!

It was 3rd & 23. K-State gave up 19 yards and Oklahoma State was given a 1st down rather than it being 4th and 4. Oklahoma State scored on that drive and ended up winning by 2. That's... kind of a big deal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since we're playing Texas Tech this week I thought I'd share two of my favorite ISU plays ever, both of which happened against Tech

"The Run", from 2002.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gPOl_F8HQ

And the best onside kick ever, from 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_ZEbcwCWk

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacebump posted:

Things like this are just one of the many reasons why Baylor is the worst.

I think you mean why Baylor is the best. Sue the poo poo outa everybody.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

We were so close to ISU in the MAC and conspiracy theories about how Iowa kept them from getting a Big Ten invite.

Stuff that has come out since makes it seem like it was gonna be the Big East. But the rest of your point stands.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Missouri is the only departed school that I miss.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Andichu, what happened to Karl Joseph that SmokingMusket is so sad about?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently he injured his knee in a non-contact drill and is out for the season.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

New York Times posted:

Like the other sets of maps, these were created using estimates of team support based on each team’s share of Facebook “likes” in a ZIP code.

Their data set is inherently bad and ill defined. For example, I don't have my zip code set on facebook, would I count? Similarly, I "like" ISU Athletics but not ISU football, so does that leave me out?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacemonkey57 posted:

There's an easy solution to this. Leonard Fournette has to play for South Carolina or alternatively for both teams.

All time RB.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In meaningless stat news, ISU is the only team in the country right now that has only lost to undefeated teams and only beaten winless teams.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Maryland is in the Big Ten now, they'll probably hire Chan Gailey or bring Glenn Mason out of retirement. Hell, Tim Brewster just didn't have the right situation in Minnesota, I'm sure he learned from his mistakes.

I can think of a name of somebody with Big Ten experience that is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

John Rawl Tahd posted:

Notre Dame's going to lose to Navy.

Insha'Allah.

• Locked thread