Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
gently caress everything about telemarketing.

My "boss" was a loving idiot. The pay was poo poo, the people were poo poo, everything was poo poo. I rather mod GBS.

--

Please tell us about your experience with telemarketing/telemarketers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Id rather go to prison than work in a call center again

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

same

no, really, I couldn't find a decent job when I graduated so I telemarketed for a few months and it was loving horrible.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i worked in customer service a few years ago and literally gave zero fucks. everyone there did was pretty lol

thats my story op take caer

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
did it when i was 16 for a few weeks, OP is 100% right.

got bored when i was 17 and turned up to a telemarketing interview high as a kite. didn't get the job.

wouldn't change a thing.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

did you ever put the phone in hyour butt

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

seriously thoughi used to love getting telemarketing calls because i liked to say stupid and confusing things and ask dumb questions and once i had a telemarketer hang up on me which i didnt think they could do. it was prett. good times, i remember that time in my life fondly

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

they were trying to sell a hotel or something or i dont know if you did something you could win a free trip to some hotel. i asked if they had any hotels underground and the dude asked me if i was a terrorist, and i said "what, am i a terrorist?" then he was in the middle of saying something and the phone cut off. i thin maybe his supervisor hung up i dont know. anyway

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

lonesomedwarf posted:

seriously thoughi used to love getting telemarketing calls because i liked to say stupid and confusing things and ask dumb questions and once i had a telemarketer hang up on me which i didnt think they could do. it was prett. good times, i remember that time in my life fondly

sounds like you've had a pretty wild and fulfilling life, any tips and tricks you'd like to share perchance?

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

lorn Wayne posted:

sounds like you've had a pretty wild and fulfilling life, any tips and tricks you'd like to share perchance?

with life in general or to do with telemarketers?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
All telemarketing jobs should come with a mandatory gun at the desk for when you want to opt out.

Of life. :unsmigghh:

P.S., I worked telemarketing for a year. It blows. Don't ever go into telemarketing, even as a stopgap for paying the bills. Cost-benefit is better to be a stripper/prostitute than a telemarketer.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

lonesomedwarf posted:

with life in general or to do with telemarketers?

i would think that the 2 are intertwined

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lonesomedwarf posted:

I've got a bundled service package with my telecoms company that includes a land line because it's cheaper and this is literally all I do with it. I don't even know the number. I just keep the ringer really quiet so it's not annoying and only pick up when I wanna gently caress with a telemarketer.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I've only been exposed to sidestream telemarketing, but it shall surely give me cancer of the soul.

But really, years ago I did a temp job at a call center. I was just there to sort their horribly messy file system, but drat if being surrounded by those calls all day isn't the most depressing thing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phobic Nest posted:

I've only been exposed to sidestream telemarketing, but it shall surely give me cancer of the soul.

But really, years ago I did a temp job at a call center. I was just there to sort their horribly messy file system, but drat if being surrounded by those calls all day isn't the most depressing thing.

It's like being a human magnet to rage, misery, and the worst dregs of humanity.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

lonesomedwarf posted:

did you ever put the phone in hyour butt

butt diallllleddd lol lmbo hahahaahahahah

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

TheRamblingSoul posted:

It's like being a human magnet to rage, misery, and the worst dregs of humanity.

The guy in charge of the place was clearly a lot dumber than his subordinates, it was the damnedest thing. All he seemed to know how to do was yell at random workers over random things, often when they were in the middle of calls. I got called into a meeting one time for some question about the files and the dude stormed in to yell at everybody for having a meeting instead of doing real work, whatever that would be. He was an rear end but possibly the most miserable guy in the place, having stewed in the cancer longer than most.

So I guess the lesson is that truly no one is unemployable.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I had a horrible telemarketing job many years ago where they handled lunch and breaks by calculating the percentage of time that you were logged into your computer taking phone calls; you had to be logged in like 90+% of the time you were on the clock or something like that.

So basically if you had to take a dump or ask someone in payroll or HR about something or whatever it would use up all of your break time for the day, and then you'd have 8 solid hours of calls to take without getting up from your desk once. I had that job for 6 months and it made me promise myself to never work at a job where I answer a phone ever again.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Rambling Robot posted:

My "boss" was a loving idiot. The pay was poo poo, the people were poo poo, everything was poo poo. I rather mod GBS.

Umm you do realize that each of those points would apply to being a GBS mod right?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Demonachizer posted:

Umm you do realize that each of those points would apply to being a GBS mod right?

plus you get to work with kids

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phobic Nest posted:

The guy in charge of the place was clearly a lot dumber than his subordinates, it was the damnedest thing. All he seemed to know how to do was yell at random workers over random things, often when they were in the middle of calls. I got called into a meeting one time for some question about the files and the dude stormed in to yell at everybody for having a meeting instead of doing real work, whatever that would be. He was an rear end but possibly the most miserable guy in the place, having stewed in the cancer longer than most.

So I guess the lesson is that truly no one is unemployable.

At my call center, the head manager would patrol the cubicles and confiscate phones if people were caught using them at their desk between queued calls to be released at the end of their shift.

It's like high school all over again, but worse.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Anders Behring Breivik's only real job was as a telemarketer.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rambling Robot posted:

Anders Behring Breivik's only real job was as a telemarketer.

Everything is forgiven.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah same OP

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
i did outbound callcentre work we used to play the "Miaow" game from Super Troopers during our calls

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'd take a telemarketing job atm pleas give me job

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I was a debt collector, not telemarketer, but same principles apply. Call center, lots of turnover, idiotic management, etc.

Fortunately, I got out of the trenches after three months because I knew computers and could teach so they made me a trainer. That was actually a pretty sweet gig because the turnover was so frequent, I had insane job security. I did have to become a corporate schill a little but there was no oversight to what I taught in the orientation classes. All they cared about was if the "products" I was putting out to the call floor could be productive and not cause a lawsuit.

I got out right at the end of summer '08, right before the economic collapse. My god I dodged a bullet there.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I worked in a call center for 6 months once. I got fired because I spent my last day there just staring blankly at the screen for about 4 hours. It was the best day I ever had there.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Jukeboxblues posted:

I worked in a call center for 6 months once. I got fired because I spent my last day there just staring blankly at the screen for about 4 hours. It was the best day I ever had there.

my best day at a callcentre was when between calls i listneed to the guy i sat next to. Hearing only half of the conversation as he said "you're right sir, i am an idiot. Now on a scale of 1 to 5...."

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
i got a telemarketing job and was fired after one day. not sure whether to be proud or disgusted with myself

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

les fleurs du mall posted:

my best day at a callcentre was when between calls i listneed to the guy i sat next to. Hearing only half of the conversation as he said "you're right sir, i am an idiot. Now on a scale of 1 to 5...."

lmao that's hilarious.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I worked in a call center for three years and it actually destroyed a part of me

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Moola posted:

I worked in a call center for three years and it actually destroyed a part of me

was it the part that is capable of seeing the good in things or maybe your dick?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
*slams headset down storms out* this isnt even my final form

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Worked at a callcenter for a little over a year. lovely pay, horrible co-workers and a sociopath boss.
gently caress that poo poo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ghost Head posted:

was it the part that is capable of seeing the good in things or maybe your dick?

definitely the part that used to believe in the good in humanity

dick still here and working

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
There was some dude who chamged his number to a 900 number in europe and tried to keep telemarketers on the line as lomg as possible.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moola posted:

definitely the part that used to believe in the good in humanity

dick still here and working

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Philosopher King posted:

There was some dude who chamged his number to a 900 number in europe and tried to keep telemarketers on the line as lomg as possible.

keep them talking as long as possible and get right up to the point of giving them payment details then tell them to get a better job and hang up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Everything is forgiven.

lol. just googled.

he was a team leader.

of course has was.

• Locked thread