Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

what was wrong with the kitty litter? dusty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

why is it bad? people are mean to you on the phone and you can't hang up or something? legit curious goons I never worked in a call center.

I worked in a call centre a decade ago for 2 weeks. We had to get to work at 2am to phone australians and convince them to go to a seminar to buy timeshare holidays. I got let go when they caught on I wasn't dialling, just doing the pitch to a dialling tone because Aussies are some properly brutal bastards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i dont understand the appeal of these jobs. I see them constantly. you make less than you do working at like a Target.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i dont understand the appeal of these jobs. I see them constantly. you make less than you do working at like a Target.

bc capitalism is evil

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

TheReverend posted:

what was wrong with the kitty litter? dusty?

It was like spending 8 hours a day in a raging sandstorm.
Those fine particulates got everywhere.

The most unbelievable thing was that there were several guys who had worked there for years. :shudder:

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
One time I whistled into the receiver and it really pissed off the teledude on the other side. Sorry dude. Never do that.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

ghlbtsk posted:

It was like spending 8 hours a day in a raging sandstorm.
Those fine particulates got everywhere.

The most unbelievable thing was that there were several guys who had worked there for years. :shudder:

Did you have to palletize those drat heavy bags or was it robotic.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I work at the chocolate and sex factory, where we make chocolate and sex all day

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

wide stance posted:

Did you have to palletize those drat heavy bags or was it robotic.

The facility was straight out of the 19th century.
Everything was wood and metal and nothing was computerized.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ghlbtsk posted:

They must have some pretty decent lung cancers and poo poo now

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
if you work in a call center make sure you get a daily tetanus shot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I had fallen to my lowest depths I could maybe see myself working in a support call center to pay bills.

But gently caress telemarketing. I'll be homeless/dead before I subject myself to that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Libelous Slander posted:

Id rather go to prison than work in a call center again

Guess what they do in prison!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/12/10140493-inside-the-secret-industry-of-inmate-staffed-call-centers?lite

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

They'll hire anybody, it's physically easy to do, and some money is better than no money

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i actually got recommended for a promotion at my call center job but immediately said no and walked out of the room when they told me i would be on call 24 hours a day with a straight face

half of the office applies for it whenever the current person gets burned out after a month and quits. i dont understand why they do it to themselves.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

This is the biggest first world problem. You aren't fighting someone else's war while your buddies kill themselves after getting home. You don't have to leave the ergonomic air conditioned office and you don't have to even think about work after punching your time card.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lampey posted:

This is the biggest first world problem. You aren't fighting someone else's war while your buddies kill themselves after getting home. You don't have to leave the ergonomic air conditioned office and you don't have to even think about work after punching your time card.

Awful jobs that offer poo poo pay to desperate people are not First World Problems. They are universal. Just because you have air conditioning doesn't mean it's not a horrible stressful job.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
How is telemarketing even a valid business model? Who is buying poo poo from twenty-something goons calling them up at home?

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

lampey posted:

Sounds like someone hasn't taken 10-15 minute doses of pure hate coming through a telephone for 9 hours a day. And it's all very well documented and recorded by big brother so if you aren't a chipper little gently caress you get the axe next time budget cuts come around.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I've only done political phonebanking, which is pretty poo poo. But not nearly as poo poo as telemarketing, no doubt. That is a job designed to make you kill yourself and everyone around you.

How does the pay structure usually work, anyway? If I want to share the fruit of my kind heart, should I kill a couple minutes to engage in friendly conversation without buying poo poo, or just politely let them get back to phoning up people who want them to drown in piss?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

You probably shouldn't apply for jobs where there aren't gonna be thousands of applicants for each vacant position unless you're really qualified

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

i started a business recently and as such i had to print my name and phone number in the paper, etc.

motherfuckers have been calling me nonstop.

i got a call from a dude that i thought was a buddy loving with me but it was sincere

:phone: Hello, is TheReverend there?

:phoneb: yeah that's me.

:phone: yeah im from company x. I wanted to tell you about our new pens. but first i'll tell you a joke. you don't get offended by jokes do you?

:phoneb: no

:phone: what do you call a lesbian dinosaur? a lick-a-lot-a-pus! Now TheRev, we can print your company name on 100 aluminum pens for only 39.99. How many would you like?

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

an adult beverage posted:

Who is buying poo poo from twenty-something goons calling them up at home?

old people and goons.

remember, every goon fundraiser has been for an unworthy cause, see d00bie et al.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TheReverend posted:

i started a business recently and as such i had to print my name and phone number in the paper, etc.

:phone: what do you call a lesbian dinosaur? a lick-a-lot-a-pus! Now TheRev, we can print your company name on 100 aluminum pens for only 39.99. How many would you like?

How many did you order?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Worked customer service at a call center for a horrible satellite TV company. During slow moments I'd look up celebrity names and their issues.
Scorcese had much trouble with his DVR but I think it's worked out now.

Any such job is : headset on; eyes rolled up.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
The telemarketing company that I worked at shut down and vanished with everyone's paychecks about two weeks after I quit. lol those guys were running the same scam over and over again, they set up a fly-by-night company, gave local businesses free leads until they sign a contract and then vanish with the money. And by "vanish" I mean relocate upstate one weekend.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think someone that had my old home phone number was really bad with their bills, because I get 5-10 calls a week always asking for the same group of similar but not the same female names. Like, Stephanie Bellows, then Stephanie Burrows, then Stephanie Barons. Then there's this one who always calls, lets it ring twice, then hang up. I always call back and the sassy lady on the line always says "your number's in our database but we haven't called you in 8 months" then hangs up.

I know it's not telemarketing, but it's in the same vein and it's very annoying.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i worked with a guy who previously had a job in a call center that lost it's contract or something, so it was just a building full of people sitting at empty cubicles, doing nothing. managers were basically chosen by lottery, given a $5/hr raise, and told to roam the aisles and write up anyone who looked at their cell phone.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Anime is great! posted:

I gotta get a dancing avatar

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Not much hate for over the phone surveying here. The people who write those things and then expect it to be read should burn in hell . Double points for unnecessary bureaucratese that old people will struggle to understand despite being the main group of people who answer the drat things.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i used to write software for call centers

so when your lovely software messed up and you got blamed, that was actually my bad

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

when I was a teenager I once helped spread salmon carcasses from a salmon hatchery around a riverbank (salmon carcasses are part of the natural nutrient cycle here). They had been sitting out in the back of a truck for a week or so in the sun and were pretty ripe. We took billhooks and would spear them, then chuck them overhand onto the banks. More than a few would just disintegrate at that point and cover you in rotten guts.

Anyway I'd rather do that for my whole life than go back to working for a cell phone company's customer service.

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i worked with a guy who previously had a job in a call center that lost it's contract or something, so it was just a building full of people sitting at empty cubicles, doing nothing. managers were basically chosen by lottery, given a $5/hr raise, and told to roam the aisles and write up anyone who looked at their cell phone.

getting paid to show up and play pretend prison sounds cool, I hope the managers looked the other way so people could shank the retards that explode their lunch in the microwave

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I did it as a summer job and it was great. No one worked before 10am. So if showed up at 7:30am I can clock in and go home all day. I'd work from like 4-7pm. My bosses were drug addicts that would go on "smoke breaks." I'd win more money playing them in poker when they got back. We played a lot of frisbee too for some reason.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
degutting fish seems like a pretty routine job.

You get a knife, it goes in the fish, the guts come out, move onto the next fish.

As opposed to dealing with assholes all day over the phone I think that's a better job for sure. I mean plus you get a big knife and if someone is an rear end in a top hat, you got a big knife.

Poor customer service phone people I can only imagine. I generally try to be nice to them when I call up tho. Cause I know whatever is wrong isn't this person's direct fault. I have female friends who worked call centers and tell me they get guys who call up and masturbate to them on the phone.

That shits weird. But I might try it next time a telemarketer calls me. Cause gently caress telemarketers.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Al Borland posted:

degutting fish seems like a pretty routine job.

You get a knife, it goes in the fish, the guts come out, move onto the next fish.

As opposed to dealing with assholes all day over the phone I think that's a better job for sure. I mean plus you get a big knife and if someone is an rear end in a top hat, you got a big knife.

Poor customer service phone people I can only imagine. I generally try to be nice to them when I call up tho. Cause I know whatever is wrong isn't this person's direct fault. I have female friends who worked call centers and tell me they get guys who call up and masturbate to them on the phone.

That shits weird. But I might try it next time a telemarketer calls me. Cause gently caress telemarketers.

many years ago i applied for a call center job selling some bullshit. who cares

apparently only the women made any sales. i wonder hwy

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i would rather live under a bridge than work in a call center

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

an adult beverage posted:

How is telemarketing even a valid business model? Who is buying poo poo from twenty-something goons calling them up at home?

How the hell is door-to-door sales a valid business model? Who the gently caress buys something from some stranger who has the balls to show up at their goddamn house? I just had some Terminex salesman try to sell me a termite-killing package. Even if I just so happened to at that moment have home-destroying ants, I'm not giving money to a loving guy at the door of my home. Telemarketers infuriate me beyond belief and it has gotten so bad I never answer my house phone, and cell phones I can block numbers fortunately

But door to door salespeople? Holy poo poo they are a special kind of trash. I have a napping infant in my house that some retard ringing my bell 4 times and knocking loudly just woke up. And opening the door and telling them they're scum doesn't work because a) this jerkoff knows where you live and b) some other dickweed is going to be bothering you the next day anyway.

I swear to Christ you can't even get tranquility in your own loving home without some shitbag trying to force a product in your face. In the one goddamn place you should be able to.

Basically what I am saying is full communism now

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 6, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Melmac posted:

I swear to Christ you can't even get tranquility in your own loving home without some shitbag trying to force a product in your face. In the one goddamn place you should be able to.

People still do this?
Like I thought mostly it was crackheads trying to sell magazines. Aka figure out if you're home so they can rob you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Melmac posted:

Basically what I am saying is full communism now

the guy rings but he takes something from the house instead

• Locked thread