Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
All telemarketing jobs should come with a mandatory gun at the desk for when you want to opt out.

Of life. :unsmigghh:

P.S., I worked telemarketing for a year. It blows. Don't ever go into telemarketing, even as a stopgap for paying the bills. Cost-benefit is better to be a stripper/prostitute than a telemarketer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phobic Nest posted:

I've only been exposed to sidestream telemarketing, but it shall surely give me cancer of the soul.

But really, years ago I did a temp job at a call center. I was just there to sort their horribly messy file system, but drat if being surrounded by those calls all day isn't the most depressing thing.

It's like being a human magnet to rage, misery, and the worst dregs of humanity.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Phobic Nest posted:

The guy in charge of the place was clearly a lot dumber than his subordinates, it was the damnedest thing. All he seemed to know how to do was yell at random workers over random things, often when they were in the middle of calls. I got called into a meeting one time for some question about the files and the dude stormed in to yell at everybody for having a meeting instead of doing real work, whatever that would be. He was an rear end but possibly the most miserable guy in the place, having stewed in the cancer longer than most.

So I guess the lesson is that truly no one is unemployable.

At my call center, the head manager would patrol the cubicles and confiscate phones if people were caught using them at their desk between queued calls to be released at the end of their shift.

It's like high school all over again, but worse.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rambling Robot posted:

Anders Behring Breivik's only real job was as a telemarketer.

Everything is forgiven.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

moller posted:

Worked at a call center doing ISP support like a decade ago. You couldn't fix anything and were basically there as a grief counselor/pressure release valve. People were upset that their service was crappy but felt better after yelling at someone for a while.

Yeah same.

Call center phone lines are prima facie evidence of why the USA needs an actual, functioning mental healthcare system.

• Locked thread