Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I've only been exposed to sidestream telemarketing, but it shall surely give me cancer of the soul.

But really, years ago I did a temp job at a call center. I was just there to sort their horribly messy file system, but drat if being surrounded by those calls all day isn't the most depressing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

TheRamblingSoul posted:

It's like being a human magnet to rage, misery, and the worst dregs of humanity.

The guy in charge of the place was clearly a lot dumber than his subordinates, it was the damnedest thing. All he seemed to know how to do was yell at random workers over random things, often when they were in the middle of calls. I got called into a meeting one time for some question about the files and the dude stormed in to yell at everybody for having a meeting instead of doing real work, whatever that would be. He was an rear end but possibly the most miserable guy in the place, having stewed in the cancer longer than most.

So I guess the lesson is that truly no one is unemployable.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

les fleurs du mall posted:

my best day at a callcentre was when between calls i listneed to the guy i sat next to. Hearing only half of the conversation as he said "you're right sir, i am an idiot. Now on a scale of 1 to 5...."

I worked by the collections dept. and they had more leeway to say interesting things. One guy with an effeminate voice was always saying variations of "Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a date." It seemed to amuse him but I doubt it encouraged people to pay their debts. Then again I suppose somebody who's swearing at a collector isn't likely to pay anyway.

e: This thread seems more cheerful now.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 4, 2015

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Melmac posted:

I wonder how having 95% of your workforce quitting within 6 months is not completely abysmal for productivity and cost management?

The place I worked at had a 90 day "training period" (as if training took more than an hour lol) where if you quit they'd only pay you minimum wage. It's probably temporarily profitable to try making your employees ragequit though I'd imagine replacements would get scarce after a while.

• Locked thread