Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I am hyped for more volleyball!!!

This is only a 10 episode season though, right? Probably for the best if they're just doing the Shiratorizawa match. Hopefully it won't be too stretched out. They did the Seijoh match in 4 eps and this one took about twice as long in the manga so it shouldn't be too bad if they have an episode or two for before and after the match.

There is a short little thing they can do to burn a few episodes right after the match too. I'm really really glad they did a short season like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
So turns out the last couple of S2 episodes are just as affecting on rewatch. Spoilers, obviously

https://u.pomf.is/imyomi.webm

https://u.pomf.is/qonjxi.webm

https://u.pomf.is/tzkrtl.webm

They use this song in matches a lot and I will always love it
https://u.pomf.is/jiykwf.webm

:unsmith:
https://u.pomf.is/zenuvt.webm

:tem:
https://u.pomf.is/kkxkzj.webm

Fly grew on me over time but it'll never be a favourite. This ED though I really like
https://u.pomf.is/saczer.webm

e. hmm, actually I wonder if I should post the first 2 or 3 webms in chat/season thread since they are just some nice plays and wouldn't give away too much out of context. It's hard to show off this show without feeling like you're giving the away the tension of each match too much

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 20, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
two weeks to season 3!!

devtesla fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 29, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"I'll just watch a few episodes of Haikyuu to continue getting ready for the new season", I say, and soon I discover that the back half of S2 is FILLED with cliffhangers. Like, I can't find a good stopping point anywhere without stopping in the middle of an episode and argghhhhh.

Fortunately it's a weekend so I've got time to stay up marathoning this show, but hoo boy.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Started watching this like last week after so many friends were excited for Season 3 and yeah after like five episodes of Season 1, I'm into it. I enjoy watching these boys volley the ball.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I just wrapped ep 22 of S2 and I'm going in on the final set now and I hear good things about what's coming next. Impress me, Haikyuu!

e: Forgot to mention, but Yamaguichi's serves were so satisfying. :D

e2: Haikyuu, we need to talk about your flashback problem. It's getting a bit out of control.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 5, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:tem: Yes~ that was rad!

The Shiratorizawa cheering squad was fantastic, and the players introductions! I didn't know they were going to be playing a full 5-set match and that's going to be really cool to see once they get a few sets in and the exhaustion kicks in

I hope the Karasuno audience can get their act together and come up with a good chant to spring on the boys in a really dramatic moment :unsmith:

Good OP/ED too :)

https://u.pomf.is/qagtrv.webm

https://u.pomf.is/efhdev.webm

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This match has a big fight feel. In some ways even more so than the Seijoh match. Shiratorizawa's cheer team and the television crews give it a bit of a different atmosphere than usual.

I'm hype for Karasuno winning and becoming the champs!!!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
[spoilers] Current Status. I'll be keeping this updated.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was super hype! I love how much thought they put into little things like the high fives before going on the field, the Hinata bathroom jokes, and yea the cheer section was nice. It got away with moving so slow by making every moment count. Honestly, it could have been longer.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah! I liked how long the match took to really start, they did a good job of making it feel like they were finally stepping up to a professional match

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Oh yeah Haikyuu!!'s back! I felt like a huge dork watching volleyball during the olympics because I kept hearing nice kill! and nice receive! and don't mind don't mind in my head. There were serves at over 110 km/h and players running off the court to keep the ball in play and rebounding spikes reaching into the stands regularly; it really just made me appreciate this show all the more and I'm pumped for this match.

Shiratorizawa is such a fun team, and this is a great introduction to them. Tendou is the best. Goshiki's bangs are the best, and Shirabu's are a close second. Leon's Benkei vibe is the best. Ushiwaka's words that hurt more because they are genuinely meant are the best. This episode never felt slow because the pacing was done so well and so naturally I didn't even realize they did anything at all until I checked the manga to remind myself of the Benkei reference explanation.

Beautiful.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't see how Karasuno can win with Hisoka on Shiratorizawa. We all know how overpowered Bungee Gum is in volleyball matches :(

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Arcanen posted:

I don't see how Karasuno can win with Hisoka on Shiratorizawa. We all know how overpowered Bungee Gum is in volleyball matches :(

That guy isn't handsome enough to be Hisoka

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Tanaka Kazunari, the voice of Coach Ukai, died yesterday of a brain stem hemorrhage. He was 49. Assuming it was a hemorrhagic stroke, I hope the intracranial pressure knocked him out before he could suffer too much. :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dungeon Man posted:

Tanaka Kazunari, the voice of Coach Ukai, died yesterday of a brain stem hemorrhage. He was 49. Assuming it was a hemorrhagic stroke, I hope the intracranial pressure knocked him out before he could suffer too much. :(

Oh no :( RIP

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Powerful Nishinoya this episode

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this idiot :3: and what happens with Tsukki when he really starts getting in the groove

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Set 1 done. With pretty much all of it dedicated to showing Ushiwaka to be a god drat monster. I like how despite Hinata having the personal beef with Ushijima, it's Tsuki and Noya who are being set up as the lynchpins to stopping him. Hopefully the rest of the team gets good focus as well.

Also, it's almost impressive how consistently Crunchryroll gets the scoreboard wrong. I used to not notice it, but when there's so little points like at the start of the 2nd set, it's kinda obvious.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Updated my dumb chart [spoilers]. I'm proud of Tanaka for his ability to score decisive points!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tendou is kinda a scary guy. It's interesting that Shiratorizawa's blocks have been getting a lot of focus, considering the match was hyped up around them having the best spiker in high school. Ushijima's still a monster though, breaking Yamaguchi's spirits like that. :(

Looks like Tsuki's in the zone now as well. This looks like it's going to be his time show his stuff.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Heck yeah Tsukki, those blocks were exciting as hell! That episode was frickin' rad, Tendou is cool weird dude and goddrat Ushijima

Yamaguchi... :smith: You'll get another chance soon I bet

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Yeeesssss it's the guess monster, my man Tendou Satoriiii

the most beautiful goblin I will fight anyone who disagrees

Karasuno has gotten used to the commit blocking other teams used to counter Hinata but Tendou, who intends to stop the all spikers by himself, really challenges the decoy strategy *except when he screws up. He really exemplifies what Ukai means when he says Shiratorizawa is the most "imperfect" team--they're all a bunch of super-talented individual players who occasionally work together (and keep out of Ushijima's way) as opposed to a unified team like Karasuno has become, making an excellent foil as well as challenge. It's like a team of pre-Karasuno Kageyamas who would probably all spike, serve, and receive if they could.

Speaking of, this was from episode 2 but

god bless tobio

Also I love that they're putting in the little refresher 'here's the current rotation' chibis.

I don't remember them doing that before, and I'm glad they're doing it since they're adorable and it's a helpful reminder of the other players' names and status.
Tsukki started smiling in his after he had his character development during the last season. :3:

I also like how Crunchyroll handled the Gesu pun. It's probably the best way they could've dealt with it without either ignoring it completely or going full 'note: gesu means scumbag.' Almost makes up for messing up on Takeda's "but none of [Washijou's coaching methods] would work if they weren't star players, right?" line.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They hypest of blocks happened this episode and i'm still pumped from it.

Also, I hope Tsukishima gives Hinata his hi-five at some point this game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They hypest of blocks happened this episode and i'm still pumped from it.

Also, I hope Tsukishima gives Hinata his hi-five at some point this game.

Slam Dunk dictates that high fives that overcome simmering personal conflict are best saved for the last game in the series

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahhhhhhh :tem: Geez, that was intense

Tsukki is so cool :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://u.pomf.is/wkxxib.webm

Hell. Yes.

https://u.pomf.is/bhzymg.webm

:unsmith:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"The game's just getting starting"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Extremely good subs for an extremely good episode.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

devtesla posted:

"The game's just getting starting"

Hey man, at least the scoreboard has been accurate so far.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I honestly was afraid they'd have to pad stuff and linger on things to fill enough time for these twelve episodes. It's great to be wrong, and what's really been impressing me this cour is how much they're able to cut from the manga. Nothing vital, trimming a few lines and cutting a couple exchanges here, audience reactions and explanations, things that really help the pacing. Like, I liked Coach Ukai's explanation of What Tsukki Did, but it was basically the third of four explanations during that chapter, and while it was nice to have explicitly laid out that Tsukishima was the only one not satisfied with 'just soft block ushijima enough for us to score points' and wanted to kill block him, Tsukishima gives a shorter explanation that unsuccessful spikes fray the setters the most.

That said, I did miss some of the reaction panels they've nixed so far.

But reducing the humor also helps pacing.

Another problem of the Karasuno v. Shiratorizawa arc is the emotional rollercoaster and fatigue from every play. For example, the anime took 1.5 pages of Shiratorizawa getting a point from Kageyama serving into the net and condensed it into a two-second Shiratorizawa service ace (presumably, we just see the ball hitting the floor). Smoothes out the tension trajectory of the episode while keeping the "oh no now shiratorizawa got a point" progression. I was expecting the episode to end on 163, but giving Tsukishima the extra line "the game's just getting started starting" makes them ending in the middle of the next chapter work.

Hinata's thumbs up and "one point is as good as a hundred!" to Tsukki (and Tsukki's reiterations of "it's just one point") was referencing a flashback the anime didn't show; I don't know if they're going to show it later but if you're curious it's just two pages here. (Not my favorite translation but it is the nicest.)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Heck yeah Hinata!!

Oikawa is such an rear end in a top hat :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Knorth posted:

Heck yeah Hinata!!

A powerful Senpai. :allears:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A 2-1 lead in the finals is very unlucky in 2016, sorry Shiratorizawa Academy.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've been watching from the beginning, and I had a couple of volleyball questions:

The touch on a block doesn't count of as one of the three hits you are allowed, which seems weird as they even yell out one touch, so I assumed it was to let them know they are going to be short one?

I also thought that you could only score points on a serve? Also, a serve can hit the net and be counted?

This is not clear, but the back people can't pass the center line (but sometimes they do)?

You can kick the ball?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

LorneReams posted:

I've been watching from the beginning, and I had a couple of volleyball questions:

The touch on a block doesn't count of as one of the three hits you are allowed, which seems weird as they even yell out one touch, so I assumed it was to let them know they are going to be short one?

I also thought that you could only score points on a serve? Also, a serve can hit the net and be counted?

This is not clear, but the back people can't pass the center line (but sometimes they do)?

You can kick the ball?

Yes, if you block the ball and it comes back down on your site of the court your team is still allowed three contacts. Blocking a ball still counts as having touched the ball last if it goes out of bounds so it's important to make sure your team knows whether to try and save a ball going out of bounds or let it go.

It used to be that only the serving team could score points and serves that hit the net aren't counted, but that's not true in modern rule sets anymore.

You are allowed to attack on the back row as long as you don't jump in the attack zone directly 3 meters behind the net.

Yeah.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Wow the flashback in the beginning... :ohdear:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Arcanen posted:

I don't know if it's the anime's pacing, or the reality of a 5 set match meaning that Karasuno have to be winning a bunch of sets, but... Shiratorizawa kind of suck?

We have an entire season of this match, and yeah, they just don't seem all that the have been made out to be, and it feels like a big part of that is the editing. Ushiwaka was made out to be an absolute monster, but since (as of halfway through the season) he never really talks or gives as a narrated POV (which is bizarre, since we keep getting them for the rest of Shiratorizawa) I'm not really feeling the impact of that.

I don't think suck is the right word. It's more that they're niche. The coach decided to focus on specific players and it worked. It worked so well that nobody had a response to that until now.

Arcanen posted:

It's also kind of odd that people are like "Woah, whoa, who are these Karasuno people that are good?!". Wouldn't playing in (winning?) nationals be something that impacted Karasuno's reputation among the characters in this series?

Losing in the second round after winning nationals makes more of an impact. That and people realize that high schoolers last no more than three years as well as having a new coach. There is no reason to believe any remnants of the winning team exist there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Arcanen posted:

Regarding the flashback at the beginning, it's kind of odd. Mainly because it makes Coach Ukai seem like a gigantic rear end in a top hat who completely abandoned Karasuno, only to be paying attention again now that they are winning under the tutelage of someone else. He has his volleyball training center thing, so it's not like he got too old to do the job? I wish we had some context after 3 seasons for why he left.

I think it was implied that he was sick or something? He was planning to rejoin the team at the start of the series to try and get them back up, but collapsed so that was the end of that, and at this point, there's not much reason to disrupt the team.

• Locked thread