Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Airs Thursdays at 10/9 on NBC

Two episodes of this has aired but no thread so I decided to throw one together. Executive Produced/Created by John Rogers (Leverage, The Librarians) The Player follows ex-FBI agent Alex Kane (Phillip Winchester "Strike Back") as he's recruited into a deadly game played by an organization which bets on high profile crimes. With assistance by the Dealer (Charity Wakefield "Wolf Hall") and the Pit Boss (Wesley Snipes "being insane and in prison") Alex attempts to stop crimes before they happen while the richest people in the world bet on the results. The overarching story seems to be about how partway through the first episode Alex's ex-wife (who he was getting back together with) is seemingly murdered by an assassin. It turns out that it isn't her as the body was missing a distinctive tattoo. Alex is convinced the House and the Pit Boss have something to do with it and so he joins their game looking for answers.

The show is action packed and pretty fun with Snipes chewing the scenery like a starving man. It also avoids some of the regular John Rogers pitfalls by having a smaller cast and, like the thread title says, actually having a budget so we aren't stuck with a bunch of obvious greenscreens whenever anything happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I watched the first two episodes because of Wesley Snipes, when I found it John Rogers is the showrunner I know I'm going to stick with this show until its inevitable cancellation.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Most impressive part so far for me is the action scenes are actually pretty drat good. Hoping this isn't a case of them frontloading the season though.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The show seems fun. I do wonder if the "player" gets paid.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

Most impressive part so far for me is the action scenes are actually pretty drat good. Hoping this isn't a case of them frontloading the season though.

You should really watch Strikeback.

Its pretty much the greatest modern action series produced and when it finished this/last year, the two stars went on to become leads in the Player and the Blindspot.

I can't stress enough that the action is really, really good. It was made partially by Cinemax so expect to see tits every episode but the gunfights are amazing and far outstrip anything made in movies or tv.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was kind of funny how in last week's episode he tries to say how he's not that guy any more and then proceeds to murder a whole bunch of people in gruesome ways. I'm not sure if that is meant to not match up or they just wanted some badass action.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eh, it's all right so far, but the gambling puns might be the death of me. Nice to see Carlo Rota getting work, if only here and there.

One of these days I'd like to see a hyper-competent "security consultant" who doesn't get shot at hundreds of times an episode.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

joebuddah posted:

The show seems fun. I do wonder if the "player" gets paid.

I was actually just wondering if his security consultant business is still active. Seems like the kind of thing that could become a episode later on.

But yeah, Nthing the recommendation to go watch Strike Back. Just incredible television.

To anyone who actually knows how the ratings and stuff work, is there anything a non-Nielsen household can do to help out ratings? I'm in Canada, so I watch it through the local affiliate, but I assume watching it on the NBC site/app also counts towards their adjusted numbers?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I bought the season pass on google play, that can't hurt.

e: Ep 3 was alright, cool car chase, but at the end the girl took the shot, shouldn't that be against the rules, technically Alex didn't defeat the guy...so wouldn't that affect the bet?

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 9, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, that guy just plays scumbags, huh?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I really hope he loses at least a few 'bets'. I can't really see a string of "The odds are really against you... Wow you won!" working for that long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

odiv posted:

I really hope he loses at least a few 'bets'. I can't really see a string of "The odds are really against you... Wow you won!" working for that long.

He did lose that one in the second episode. Also lots of double crosses tonight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

His shirt was too tight. You could totally see the blood pack.

Anyway, Alex sure likes to murder some fools.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

His shirt was too tight. You could totally see the blood pack.

Anyway, Alex sure likes to murder some fools.

Not that anyone's complaining :heysexy: No but really, the Canadian affiliate feed is such fuzzy low-quality garbage that I didn't even notice that. Probably wouldn't hurt to just end up watching it on the NBC site instead.

Wandle Cax posted:

I bought the season pass on google play, that can't hurt.

e: Ep 3 was alright, cool car chase, but at the end the girl took the shot, shouldn't that be against the rules, technically Alex didn't defeat the guy...so wouldn't that affect the bet?

Probably glossed over as 'she's his resource/a tool to use as he saw fit' because they were at a stale-mate at the time. The dude wasn't getting a shot at the kid no matter which choice he took, so maybe Alex specifically telling Cassandra to take the shot was enough. They seem the type to enjoy spinning technicalities.

I don't know if you guys have been following them on twitter, but what's up with the sweepstakes game they set up every episode? I get that it's to draw in the social media crowd and drum up interest, but is it financially feasible to continue given the show isn't the smash hit they were anticipating?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wesley Snipes, still really good at martial arts.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will Yun Lee, when you want a guy to play generic "Asian." (Also Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs)

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I just really miss his mullet from Hawaii 5-0.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dials the number:

"Hey buddy..."

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Dials the number:

"Hey buddy..."

:sigh:

But maaaan, the more Snipes gets in on the action, the more legit this show gets. That was beautiful.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

KatWithHands posted:

I just really miss his mullet from Hawaii 5-0.

And the accent of course.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is anyone else bothered by how he holds his gun?

Wesley Snipes, still really good at martial arts.

Wesley Snipes as Wesley Snipes :allears:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
drat, not even a full season. It's going to wrap production after episode 9.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ouch, too bad. This is still actually better than Minority Report though.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

This is why NBC is the worst.

The only logical step is for Winchester to just jump on to the Blindspot and when that show fails, jump on to John Wick 2.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
NBC is a steaming turd excuse for a TV network, and they don't deserve cool shows like this and The Blacklist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Is anyone else bothered by how he holds his gun?

It looks like he is actually using the sights instead of just vaguely pointing the gun in a direction.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah Winchester knows what he's doing with firearms.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Gonz posted:

NBC is a steaming turd excuse for a TV network, and they don't deserve cool shows like this and The Blacklist.

Well to be fair only ABC is programming against football on Thursday Nights, so Fox and NBC are kinda dumb to put male-led/male-audience focused shows against football on that night. I would wage a guess Blindspot would probably pull similar numbers on Thursday.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Took a chance on this downloading the pilot for free on iTunes. A bit of a goofy concept catching up on demand, but entertaining enough. Is anybody else noticing Wesley Snipes' speech being a bit more "eloquent" than what it was in literally anything else he's been in?

And Charity Wakefield is HOT.

Wandle Cax posted:

Gonz posted:

Is it because this show isn't terribly unfunny and/or it's lacking in SNL alumni in the cast?

Hopefully this goes Southland and somebody else (TNT, in that case) picks up the rest of it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 30, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, good job Alex. You done already missed out on one.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"What the...?".

He's not playing by your rules, Cassandra.

e- Sting is not loving around.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 30, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it me or did he accidentally slip into a British accent when he was trying to call his niece?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

John Cutter's still got it.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
:stare:

This show is really good at violence, you guys.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Is it me or did he accidentally slip into a British accent when he was trying to call his niece?

It's just you; this is his natural accent apparently.

Sullivan Stapleton has an aussie accent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That might be going a little too far dude.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Holy moly, Johnson does not gently caress around. The fight scene was awesome, but the present for Cal :stare:

edit: Maybe John Rogers' relationship with TNT will get it picked up there, if the higher powers are willing. Maybe the Norseman had the right idea

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 30, 2015

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's just you; this is his natural accent apparently.

Well he did grow up in England for a time I believe so it's a bit of a murky issue what his real accent is. I've seen interviews with him in both his American and British accent, both of which sound pretty authentic. I think he makes a better Brit but that might just be because of Strike Back's awesomeness.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Fantastic episode tonight. This show is a lot of loving fun to watch every week and I'll be really sad to see it go. Hopefully someone else can swoop in and save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, how do we get one of those always effective internet save the show campaigns started?

• Locked thread