Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lampey
Mar 27, 2012

dialing is a pretty big one. i remember learning how old phones had actual dials on them in school but i have never had to actually "dial" a number

i have seen multiple working payphones in oakland, not near an airport, and actively used. 34th and adeline and grand a bush still have them in tyool 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

mishaq posted:

i like how between consumer voip running over internet connections with no qos and highly compressed cellular phone codecs, making phone call in 2015 is worse quality than 1990

higher bitrate codecs ("HD voice") at least are becoming more prevalent but still lol

also the death of landlines leaves many with no form of communication in long periods of electricity being down. the lovely battery backup units on fiber/cable voip lines last 8 hours at best

phones used to work during power outages? my millenial rear end learned something today.

everything about the old phone systems sounds cool as hell and i'm kinda sad i never got to gently caress around with it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isnt loving around with it considered a crime?? hehe its wasnt that good but I guess pretty solid

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

lampey posted:

dialing is a pretty big one. i remember learning how old phones had actual dials on them in school but i have never had to actually "dial" a number

in Italy, the state-owned telephone company provided all households with these huge grey things for a monthly fee:

we had ours for a long time. the red tape in the photo hides the label where you wrote down your own phone number

e: omg this is amazing, they eventually upgraded it to an electronic pulse dialing phone

yep that's not a dtmf pad, it generated pulses with a circuit. no idea what * and # did (number 11 and number 12?!)

I was unreasonably jealous of my friends with their keypad phones, but my family kept the old rotary until eventually they gave it back (remember, they were rentals) and got a cordless

Cyberbird posted:

phones used to work during power outages? my millenial rear end learned something today.

yes, they were powered through the line. the little power they needed anyway, like for ringing the bell on an incoming call

they even survived the Italian blackout of 2003, when someone (well, a tree) literally tripped on a wire and accidentally the whole country

e: I'm not old, I swear. I'm... 34?!

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 5, 2015

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

hackbunny posted:

That grey ghetto blaster owns! I snagged a couple hotel phones from my last gig in telecom but they serve no purpose in my house now.
I should set up an intercom system with them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powercrazy posted:

Loading Wardialer Script :ovr:
at dt %1 %2 % 3 %4 %5 :ins:
. .. ... ....connect

SEND SPIKE

Better Luck Next Time
Slugheads!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lampey posted:

i have seen multiple working payphones in oakland, not near an airport, and actively used. 34th and adeline and grand a bush still have them in tyool 2015

our monopoly telco uses payphones as wifi hotspots now by putting ADSL modems into each one

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

hackbunny posted:

they even survived the Italian blackout of 2003, when someone (well, a tree) literally tripped on a wire and accidentally the whole country

how does that even happen

why would you design a national power grid that shuts down when one line is cut

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

mishaq posted:

i like how between consumer voip running over internet connections with no qos and highly compressed cellular phone codecs, making phone call in 2015 is worse quality than 1990
it sounds just as bad when the employees of lovely voip companies call from the office, a lot of the time they get landlines for some of their employees so they won't be embarrassed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

if you've ever been to italy it would not surprise you at all

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
Well this is tangentially related to POTS stuff

Back in the day when I was kid there were still these things called payphones, and your local telco started rolling out these really fancy smartcard based payphones.

And by smart cards we're talking about cards with something like 256 bits of storage, with some bits read-only and rest of them write-only. Basically card would have some 200 bits that all were initially zeroed, and when you wrote 1 there, you couldn't zero them again. Every time charging pulse came through the line, it would set up one more bit to 1. Payphone would check how many zeroes were left in memory and as long if it was > 0, you could keep on calling.

And probably because this write-only memory was implemented with fuses of some kind, these cards required multiple voltages, one +5V for reading the card and then higher voltage for programming the card.

so guess what happened if you put some non-conducting tape over C6 pin that provides programming voltage to the card?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

it's happened multiple times in every country on earth

maybe not an entire nation but this happened the same year, and blacked out an area and population larger than italy

actually a similar thing happened in london shutting down the underground that same year too

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
australian payphones used to be coin-operated but then at some point they introduced prepaid phone cards and over time most payphones stopped taking coins. then some time later they phased out the old magstripe phone cards for newer smartcard ones (i'd heard stories of people hacking the magnetic ones to get unlimited credit lol) but by then mobile phones were becoming common so they were like "oh gently caress" and just brought back coin op again. then payphones started disappearing but not vanishing completely (you still see them at train stations, shopping districts etc) and as ~coxy said now they're also setting them up as wifi hotspots which is a p. good idea tbh (though if lte plans ever get better in this monopolistic shithole even that would become redundant i guess)

also the hotspots suck because they only let people with a telstra home internet plan use them, there's no other way to pay to use them without signing up for a bunch of other crap. though even that is potentially starting to look appealing since after the best isp was acquired by the second best a few years ago they've now both just been bought out by literally the shittest

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stubb Dogg posted:

Well this is tangentially related to POTS stuff

Back in the day when I was kid there were still these things called payphones, and your local telco started rolling out these really fancy smartcard based payphones.

And by smart cards we're talking about cards with something like 256 bits of storage, with some bits read-only and rest of them write-only. Basically card would have some 200 bits that all were initially zeroed, and when you wrote 1 there, you couldn't zero them again. Every time charging pulse came through the line, it would set up one more bit to 1. Payphone would check how many zeroes were left in memory and as long if it was > 0, you could keep on calling.

And probably because this write-only memory was implemented with fuses of some kind, these cards required multiple voltages, one +5V for reading the card and then higher voltage for programming the card.

so guess what happened if you put some non-conducting tape over C6 pin that provides programming voltage to the card?

then there were bt phonecards, which were even more low-tech. they looked like this:

those squares with numbers were the actual store of value on the card. a "laser" (actually just an ir diode with a lens) would scan across it, the boxes were ir-translucent but the rest of the card wasn't. when a unit was used the diode would turn up to 11 and melt the lacquer and make the plastic ir-opaque, removing the value from that part of the card and leaving you with a visible sign (like a scratch) of how much credit was used on the card.

it was surprisingly secure (although it tended to false-positive, any kind of damage on the face of the card would render it useless) until an someone discovered a particular brand of nail varnish, if applied at just the right thickness, kept the ir-translucent properties and was made opaque by the erase function, but could then be removed with nail polish remover and reapplied, giving you all your credit back

also there was another scam where you could use a hairdryer to melt the laqcuer on the front of the card to hide the scratches made by the erase function and sell on the "new" phonecard you "found" for a decent discount off the face value. every school kid in london knew that one, and probably every tourist in london in the eighties at some point bought a phonecard off some fresh-faced cherub after finding all the coin payphones were mysteriously out of order, perfectly capturing the entrepreneurial spirt of thatcher's britain

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i really love the dialing clicking sound of rotary dials, it's a p cool sound

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i had to enable pulse dialing on an avaya system a couple years ago because someone wanted to use one

it was one config option on the station screen, but lol

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
one of my coworkers likes to wear a handset when sitting at his desk. he does this with a large headband

he calls himself captain avaya

thats my telephones story thanks for listening

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Adix posted:

one of my coworkers likes to wear a handset when sitting at his desk. he does this with a large headband

he calls himself captain avaya

thats my telephones story thanks for listening

what the gently caress is wrong with this person

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cyberbird posted:

everything about the old phone systems sounds cool as hell and i'm kinda sad i never got to gently caress around with it.

how old are you? im only 28 and i remember using landline phones during power outages as recently as probably 2004 or 2005

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cyberbird posted:

childe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the old agt test dial number was fun to prank friends with when you were over at their house. used to do it to payphones near my jr. high too, try to see if anyone would answer lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with this person

yeah avaya is tremendous dogshit, who the gently caress would want to be associated with it like that

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Jesus

lampey posted:

i remember learning how old phones had actual dials on them in school...
loving

Cyberbird posted:

phones used to work during power outages?
Christ

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

how old are you? im only 28 and i remember using landline phones during power outages as recently as probably 2004 or 2005

it's still a legal requirement in the uk that land lines are available for emergency calls for up to 24 hours after a power cut, except almost everyone these days has cordless phones so welp. openreach (the bit of bt that owns the last mile) are lobbying hard to get that restriction dropped because diesel is expensive but ofcom are telling them to get hosed for now

(because i'm that much of a phonesperg i still have an old corded phone on an extension for just such an eventuality)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCSzjExvbTQ

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cyberbird posted:

ya landlines are self powered. they have 45-50 VDC under most circumstances and 88 VAC when ringing. a simple corded phone will work fine as long as the loop is intact, regardless of how much power you dont have at ur house

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Dial
Tones
Mother
Fucker

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
We used to have one of those flashlights that you could recharge by plugging it into a phone jack during a power outage.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Panty Saluter posted:

ya landlines are self powered. they have 45-50 VDC under most circumstances and 88 VAC when ringing. a simple corded phone will work fine as long as the loop is intact, regardless of how much power you dont have at ur house

I'll never forget when I was 16 or something, I was running cables to move the computer to a new desk and I had the modem to d in my mouth when someone called the number.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Cyberbird posted:

:stare:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Salt Fish posted:

the d in my mouth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was pooping and posting and may have written that a d was in my mouth but I had the CORD in my mouth I'm sorry

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

back in the mid 80s when the feds broke up ma-bell there was initially no way for a third-party long distance company, especially the small ones, to interface directly with your phone service. instead you got a card with an access code and what you did was dial a local access number, punch in the code and then dial your target number. since this code had to be manually entered every time it was usually only a 6 or 7 digit number.

even after the breakup, long-distance calling was still ridiculously expensive (calling coast-to-coast in the us could cost up to $1 a minute). anyone who was into BBS-ing at the time probably has a story involving a $500 phone bill. to get around this you would run a program that would generate random calling card numbers, try using the generated number to call a service like compuserve and if it got a carrier it would save that number. since the access codes were only 6 or 7 digits and these companies often had thousands of subscribers, it usually didn't take long to find a couple of working numbers. then you could call long-distance BBSes for a month without your parents murdering you or having your phone service shut off due to inability to pay.

the small long-distance companies that were often the targets of these number generators couldn't really do anything about it since they had no access to phone company records and couldn't trace the origins of these calls. some people started getting busted around 1990, but the problem didn't really go away until they started auto-connecting long-distance calls directly to the long-distance companies.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 5, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Dial
Tones
Mother
Fucker

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

fart simpson posted:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Jesus

loving

Christ

lmao

(i'm 23)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
that reminds me of the early stages of :australia: telco deregulation when i was a kid. for a while the monopoly became an duopoly. to make a cheaper long distance call with optus (still using telstra's network at the time) all you had to do was prefix the number with 1. that was weird

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The_Franz posted:

back in the mid 80s when the feds broke up ma-bell there was initially no way for a third-party long distance company, especially the small ones, to interface directly with your phone service. instead you got a card with an access code and what you did was dial a local access number, punch in the code and then dial your target number. since this code had to be manually entered every time it was usually only a 6 or 7 digit number.

even after the breakup, long-distance calling was still ridiculously expensive (calling coast-to-coast in the us could cost up to $1 a minute). anyone who was into BBS-ing at the time probably has a story involving a $500 phone bill. to get around this you would run a program that would generate random calling card numbers, try using the generated number to call a service like compuserve and if it got a carrier it would save that number. since the access codes were only 6 or 7 digits and these companies often had thousands of subscribers, it usually didn't take long to find a couple of working numbers. then you could call long-distance BBSes for a month without your parents murdering you or having your phone service shut off due to inability to pay.

the small long-distance companies that were often the targets of these number generators couldn't really do anything about it since they had no access to phone company records and couldn't trace the origins of these calls. some people started getting busted around 1990, but the problem didn't really go away until they started auto-connecting long-distance calls directly to the long-distance companies.

I knew this from the game Digital: A Love Story.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
at least moose milkie would get lots of cheap calls

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
to be honest I've never been through a power outage long enough that it would drain the comcast gateway's battery for phone service, even before my parents had switched from regular landline to comcast landline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pb61rROqLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeV-AWBCKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2toGKgWMpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-CwwXcEcHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffIV8LsBfM

god drat there's a lot of these

• Locked thread