Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

to be honest I've never been through a power outage long enough that it would drain the comcast gateway's battery for phone service, even before my parents had switched from regular landline to comcast landline.

ya if the power is out long enough for all backup batteries to drain and cellies to go flat you probably have bigger problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also a fast charge cell is 5v/2a, so 10w? so a 15w solar panel should get you decent charge assuming no nuclear winter

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
annoy your siblings by picking up another phone when they're talking and playing mary had a little lamb with touchtones

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

hackbunny posted:

in Italy, the state-owned telephone company provided all households with these huge grey things for a monthly fee:

yup, america used to have a very similar deal, but it ended well before i was born. usually made out of bakelite, and iirc with added weights, they were basically indestructible

and yes, phone service was (and still isn't) tied to power. obviously both go down if like your local lines all get cut, but otherwise they're separate systems. the only thing is that wireless handsets all require power to the base station, so that's prolly the source of confusion

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

my relatives had no power for an extended period because of hurricane sandy, but old pots lines wouldn't have helped since the telecom lines were flooded and torn up too. the cell towers were the only thing that still worked.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

those 10-10 numbers still exist they just serve no purpose

why would anyone use a different telco's long distance service and pay $1.50/min for the privilege

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The_Franz posted:

back in the mid 80s when the feds broke up ma-bell there was initially no way for a third-party long distance company, especially the small ones, to interface directly with your phone service. instead you got a card with an access code and what you did was dial a local access number, punch in the code and then dial your target number. since this code had to be manually entered every time it was usually only a 6 or 7 digit number.

is that the same mechanism as the "10-10-###" things you could dial in the mid-90s to get incredibly-for-the-time cheap long distance at the cost of minimum 5-minute bills

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fritz posted:

is that the same mechanism as the "10-10-###" things you could dial in the mid-90s to get incredibly-for-the-time cheap long distance at the cost of minimum 5-minute bills

yeah it told the exchange which company to route your long distance call through. 10-10-321 was MCI.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i love phone spergery, voip phones included. all phone janitor / phreak tales are welcome here.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

those 10-10 numbers still exist they just serve no purpose

why would anyone use a different telco's long distance service and pay $1.50/min for the privilege

1) moronically pseudo-frugal old people with landlines who think they're coming out ahead by not just having a long distance plan even though if they paid like 1 buck more a month they could have unlimited, probably.
2) in some hotel phone scenarios, doing a 10-10 could cost a lot less than using the hotel's phone, and also somehow you have no cell service around the hotel

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
wow hotel phones. i forgot what a load of horse shgit those fuckers were. i bet cell phones rly pwned them hard.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I *think* back in the day another use case was all long distance circuits are busy on your phone company and you want to try a different one because you really really want to get through

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*examining checkout bill* what the.. $3000 for a call to my buddy Steve who lives down the block?!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

the concept of long distance calling doesn't even exist anymore except for old people who still have a phone plan from 1975.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i heard paying extra for long distance still exists for a lot of people in canada, especially on cell phones.

like its still 1995 up there or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The_Franz posted:

the concept of long distance calling doesn't even exist anymore except for old people who still have a phone plan from 1975.

grandma rented a phone from GTE for 50 years. they were so remote Bell wouldn't put lines in up there

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Panty Saluter posted:

also a fast charge cell is 5v/2a, so 10w? so a 15w solar panel should get you decent charge assuming no nuclear winter

and again, you also probably have access to a self-propelled generator (i.e. a car)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
though in a situation where electric is out that long your gas is probably worth a bit more than getting a couple more rounds of angry birds in

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

i heard paying extra for long distance still exists for a lot of people in canada, especially on cell phones.

can confirm

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dessert Rose posted:

and again, you also probably have access to a self-propelled generator (i.e. a car)
derailing my own thread for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEncZHchsA4

this guy is both yospos and canadian as gently caress at machining and electromechanical stuff

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i don't know poo poo about phones, but i enjoy this thread and i also enjoyed watching this video about building some big telephone hardware a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uMbpaFp3i4

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

wow hotel phones. i forgot what a load of horse shgit those fuckers were. i bet cell phones rly pwned them hard.

yup

hotels try the same poo poo wtih internet access, either it sucks and is overused or it's >$10/day and it sucks

or you can just tether to your phone (or your employer's portable wifi if you're on work travel) and it's actually fine if not great and cheap too

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yup

hotels try the same poo poo wtih internet access, either it sucks and is overused or it's >$10/day and it sucks

or you can just tether to your phone (or your employer's portable wifi if you're on work travel) and it's actually fine if not great and cheap too

or its like a motel 6 so its just a residential cable line over wifi and its free and fast enough

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
had to set up our office pbx recently, and we have a SIP trunk + a backup analog line in case internet goes down or whatever

went to configure the analog line and got to this page and just gave the gently caress up.

it works but after you hang up it will literally take a whole minute before you can make another call

that's my phone story i hope you enjoyed it

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

jony ive aces posted:

at least moose milkie would get lots of cheap calls

hee hee

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

ya

they finally figured out everyone was just watching netflix on hotel wifi instead of pay tv so now wifi is pay as well lmao

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

YeOldeButchere posted:

i don't know poo poo about phones, but i enjoy this thread and i also enjoyed watching this video about building some big telephone hardware a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uMbpaFp3i4

att archives supremacy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

had to set up our office pbx recently, and we have a SIP trunk + a backup analog line in case internet goes down or whatever

went to configure the analog line and got to this page and just gave the gently caress up.

it works but after you hang up it will literally take a whole minute before you can make another call

that's my phone story i hope you enjoyed it

mnc to "bellcore" tia

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

derailing my own thread for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEncZHchsA4

this guy is both yospos and canadian as gently caress at machining and electromechanical stuff

i'm the removable battery

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

doesn't really matter because most cell towers don't have backup and if they do go into emergency calls only mode to save power

i mean i'm assuming we're talking about situations like the 2003 blackouts we were talking about earlier where there's a widespread loss of power, not just "a tramp has pissed on the local transformer so my block is out of power until someone can scrape him off the walls", which was the cause of the last blackout i experienced

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

ya

they finally figured out everyone was just watching netflix on hotel wifi instead of pay tv so now wifi is pay as well lmao

wifi's free in most european hotels ime

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Panty Saluter posted:

ya

i stayed in a hotel in amsterdam where they wanted 15 euro a day for wifi but you could plug into an ethernet port for free

my guess is that they put the ethernet in first then got wifi and never worked out a way of restricting access to the ethernet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

annoy your siblings by picking up another phone when they're talking and playing mary had a little lamb with touchtones

i started doing 'louie louie' on conference calls to entertain the folks while we waited for the bigwigs to dial in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mishaq posted:

i like how between consumer voip running over internet connections with no qos and highly compressed cellular phone codecs, making phone call in 2015 is worse quality than 1990

higher bitrate codecs ("HD voice") at least are becoming more prevalent but still lol

also the death of landlines leaves many with no form of communication in long periods of electricity being down. the lovely battery backup units on fiber/cable voip lines last 8 hours at best

the first time I had an hd call to someone else on t-mobile it was absolutely amazing. I can barely understand what someone is saying with the overcompressed garbage and then boom, perfect clarity. now I just facetime audio for everyone because gently caress ATM cells and the network they rode in

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Nintendo Kid posted:

or its like a motel 6 so its just a residential cable line over wifi and its free and fast enough

yeah provided the place isn't full due to a convention or some other local event

the worst is a big event at a hotel or group of hotels and even cell data is a crapshoot

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tatsujin posted:

yeah provided the place isn't full due to a convention or some other local event

the worst is a big event at a hotel or group of hotels and even cell data is a crapshoot
i like it when they demo a fancy new phone or something with a microusb ethernet dongle because they were too cheap to rent a microcell.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

my grandmother retired from Michigan Bell formerly at&t formerly bell as an operator. no not the operators with tactical weapons breaking down doors and seizing cash. the ones that looked up phone numbers for you when you called 411. before that she did some other stuff for the phone company but 15+ years of looking up numbers. for 10+ years she would sip pop all day in between calls and ended up drinking the equivalent of 15+ cans a day in 2L bottles every day and got diabetes. for a long time the 411 in MI would only get calls from people in MI so things like looking up the number to a college is not too hard. If you ask for the number to u of m there are not that many. but over the years the metrics got worse like you had to complete more calls in the same amount of time and also other call centers were getting shut down. a lot of the other call centers were shut down because their training costs were too high in the south or the general costs of doing business in the west. or the union/att just liked mi. so you might be getting a call from montana asking for u of m and you have to ask for which one now and now you arent making your numbers so you just guess and give them a number and connect them through. if it isnt the right number they can just call back to 411 and get charged again. i think there are some exceptions like if you are 411ing an 800 number, the 800 number gets billed. for a while looking up 1-3 numbers was a certain charge, and getting connected through was a separate charge, or like the first one each month was free

the whole idea of calling 411 and paying money for someone (who is probably a diabetic from all that sugar) to look up a phone number is strange

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nintendo Kid posted:

there's something about british commonwealth countries that compels them to have abysmal telecoms

i think it's a dull cultural malaise that causes them to rejoice in being as obstructionist and hostile toward communication as possible

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
my company did directory assistance call routing for awhile, the most interesting thing to me is that the "voice recognition" system where it prompted you for a name and then came back with a listing a short time later were actually human beings in Malaysia who were phonetically typing what you said and the server was running a fuzzy match, cuz that's WAY cheaper than licensing an actual voice recognition platform. this was notable because when reps heard a kentucky accent they just gave up, they didnt type anything because they did not have the first idea what sounds the person tried to make.

also, check out the story of the hinsdale illinois central office fire in 1988. here's the investigation report, and here's an episode of the disastercast safety podcast about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the first time I had an hd call to someone else on t-mobile it was absolutely amazing.

seconded, i switched to an iphone recently and the call quality difference when talking to other people with recent iphones on tmo is incredible

my mother with hearing problems was sold on a voip line by at&t to replace her old pots since she can't imagine living without a land line, and it is compete dogshit

• Locked thread