Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The punchline was that he could have bought whatever the slowest tier cable service was and without a hardware swap (unless you count an ethernet cable) been on AOL worlds faster and for the same money or less than dialup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I bought a weird old phone that only dials one number for about 350 it was worth it though

the KRZ phone? could you actually play Along The Echo on it

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Nash Regex posted:

Automated Teller Machines still use dial-up to connect for transaction authorizations.:ssh:
a scary number of them also still use unpatched windows xp

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

are VoIP codecs good enough to encode V.34/V.90 or do they just speak modem on the client side, transmit the bytestream to the other end and then covert it back to audio like the cell network?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I assume they're encoding it since (with cable VoIP anyway) it all comes out of a standard phone jack on the modem as an analog signal

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pseudorandom name posted:

are VoIP codecs good enough to encode V.34/V.90 or do they just speak modem on the client side, transmit the bytestream to the other end and then covert it back to audio like the cell network?

on cable company voip it's just a plain analog jack into the cable gateway, and it would definitely cost more to add special stuff to the gateway that recognizes data signals and handles them differently, so I doubt they do that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lampey posted:

my grandmother retired from Michigan Bell formerly at&t formerly bell as an operator. no not the operators with tactical weapons breaking down doors and seizing cash. the ones that looked up phone numbers for you when you called 411. before that she did some other stuff for the phone company but 15+ years of looking up numbers. for 10+ years she would sip pop all day in between calls and ended up drinking the equivalent of 15+ cans a day in 2L bottles every day and got diabetes. for a long time the 411 in MI would only get calls from people in MI so things like looking up the number to a college is not too hard. If you ask for the number to u of m there are not that many. but over the years the metrics got worse like you had to complete more calls in the same amount of time and also other call centers were getting shut down. a lot of the other call centers were shut down because their training costs were too high in the south or the general costs of doing business in the west. or the union/att just liked mi. so you might be getting a call from montana asking for u of m and you have to ask for which one now and now you arent making your numbers so you just guess and give them a number and connect them through. if it isnt the right number they can just call back to 411 and get charged again. i think there are some exceptions like if you are 411ing an 800 number, the 800 number gets billed. for a while looking up 1-3 numbers was a certain charge, and getting connected through was a separate charge, or like the first one each month was free

my grandfather was a lineman turned exchange relay swapper outer turned computer starer laid off from michigan bell 1 year before he could get the full pension so gently caress michigan bell

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Space-Pope posted:

a scary number of them also still use unpatched windows xp

yeah i'm sure a locked down machine with no internet connection that does one single task over a dedicated phone line is a real security problem

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
im gonna call up the atm's phone line and howl a hack into an acoustic coupler

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vlad the Retailer posted:

the KRZ phone? could you actually play Along The Echo on it

Yeah

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

yeah i'm sure a locked down machine with no internet connection that does one single task over a dedicated phone line is a real security problem

yeah it actually is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c08EYv4N5A

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The_Franz posted:

landlines are pretty much stuck at 8-bit 8khz alaw/ulaw forever since changing to a more modern codec would screw up fax machines and the few weirdos who still use dialup to get their email.

i had to use a fax machine for the first time in about 10 years yesterday and i forgot how goddamn slow those things are. it took almost 1 minute a page to send and the document was 22 pages long. making it into a pdf and emailing it would have taken less time than sending the first page, but since it was a financial document it had to be faxed for some legal reasons.

nah there are codecs specifically designed for faxing that work just fine w/ voip. The problem is 99.99999% of voip installations use 64kbps ulaw and any jitter fucks modems up really bad. if you ask your phone provider to supply t38 they'll just say no.

also pris aren't any better cause phone networks are absolute garbage. equipment from 30 years ago is still alive and well cause they wont pay to replace it with modern stuff and the dude whos been working there for 30 years still knows how it works and so what if hes the only one its fine this isn't a problem.

meanwhile for a few grand you can get a media gateway from dialogic which will emulate any signaling you need and provide loads of other features that are more advanced then anything the phone company has.

phone companies are poo poo. also verizon is the loving worst

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ulaw will work if the network quality is very good. jitter will gently caress it up bad. to solve this, there is t38 which I guess is a way to encapsulate the fax data in a redundant manner. it works fine but lots of phone carriers are too loving stupid to understand it. some will support it tho. like vonage offers a fax line service that is basically t38 support for extra $$.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Verizon is seriously the worst phone company in the loving world and when we terminated our service with them it was the greatest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

Verizon is seriously the worst phone company in the loving world and when we terminated our service with them it was the greatest.

frontier is definitely worse

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
holy poo poo realposts from shaggar

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Verizon is seriously the worst phone company in the loving world

shaggar is right

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
and of course a "well actually" from fishmech

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we used to get Verizon pris over a fiber loop and when we wanted to add more service to it they had no idea where the fiber loop was so they couldn't do it.

so instead they dropped a pile of fiber equipment in our data center. we ended up originally running 2 ds3s off it but then I went and redesigned our phone stuff w/ the dialogic media gateways and cut it down to less than a single ds3 then we got rid of a lot of their poo poo and replaced it with other carriers and I think now we have like 2 local pris and an ld coming off the fiber thing in our data center and I hope it cost them a shitload.

luckily I'm not the phone guy anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
except when it comes to integration w/ our phone switch but that's actually cool and fun and has nothing to do w/ phone networks which are all trash

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
post the hottest waveforms u got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvr9AMWEU-c

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and of course a "well actually" from fishmech

THE TIME IS NOW SARIFICE THE VIRGIN

NO THE OTHER ONE

NOT THAT ONE EITHER

NO, NOT

OK gently caress IT NEVER MIND

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Nash Regex posted:

Automated Teller Machines still use dial-up to connect for transaction authorizations.:ssh:
they have cell modems now

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how do the cell phones in gas meters power themselves?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

im the caller requesting to escape from telephony

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

they usually aren't cell devices, they instead use a different wireless setup, combined with a sealed in battery like in this one http://www.landisgyr.co.uk/product/g370-zigbee-smart-ultrasonic-gas-meter/

that one has a big ol lithium cell battery that'll last like 10 years for remote reading, and can continue recording information in an alternate manner without the wireless thing working in case it dies

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

tiny little steam engine powered by a pilot light

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

annoy your siblings by picking up another phone when they're talking and playing mary had a little lamb with touchtones

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SO DEMANDING posted:

i need to check this place out someday: http://thetelephonemuseum.org/

it's in some guy's barn up in maine

been there

its pretty legit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

holy poo poo realposts from shaggar

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

heres all the ones that can appear in the game http://imgur.com/a/eQPgH

I want that crazy one but I think it was just a prototype when I went lookin

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
in 2001, my family's power was out for an entire week. the landline was the only thing that still worked. we cooked by a propane stove and used candles once the flashlights ran out.

this was in the bay area. I like landlines.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cyberbird posted:

lmao

(i'm 23)

same but somehow my phones worked

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

atomicthumbs posted:

in 2001, my family's power was out for an entire week. the landline was the only thing that still worked. we cooked by a propane stove and used candles once the flashlights ran out.

this was in the bay area. I like landlines.

someone in the bay area keeps slicing fiber backbones (which usually also knocks out phone service) and nobody has a goddamn clue what to do about it

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacks-on-fiber-networks-in-california-baffle-fbi-1439417515

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

someone in the bay area keeps slicing fiber backbones (which usually also knocks out phone service) and nobody has a goddamn clue what to do about it

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacks-on-fiber-networks-in-california-baffle-fbi-1439417515

good thing we'll always have AT&T Long Lines

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jimmy Carter posted:

after 9/11 almost all the uk telcos decided that for security they had to remove their names from the manhole covers on their ducts in case of cyber attack on the cyber nations cyber security, because of course a cyber terrorist would only want to attack a gxn cyber trunk and not a cyber bt one and would be cyber-defeated by not knowing which one to cyber attack

only after they'd spent a year sending guys with grinders around to do this did they realise why they had their names on them in the first place, when it took their engineers 3 hours to find the right manhole every time they had to go out and repair a break, so now every manhole cover in london has a shiny new nameplate epoxied on

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

I knew what the sounds I was looking at were before I relistened to the handshake video

modems are a whole other level of amazing anachronism, the amount of engineering that had to go into that handshake is mind blowing

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

after 9/11 almost all the uk telcos decided that for security they had to remove their names from the manhole covers on their ducts in case of cyber attack on the cyber nations cyber security, because of course a cyber terrorist would only want to attack a gxn cyber trunk and not a cyber bt one and would be cyber-defeated by not knowing which one to cyber attack

only after they'd spent a year sending guys with grinders around to do this did they realise why they had their names on them in the first place, when it took their engineers 3 hours to find the right manhole every time they had to go out and repair a break, so now every manhole cover in london has a shiny new nameplate epoxied on

lol

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

heres all the ones that can appear in the game http://imgur.com/a/eQPgH

I want that crazy one but I think it was just a prototype when I went lookin

krz is awesome and i wish i had the money to buy things like that to support the project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

haha

• Locked thread