Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Canadian telecoms strip out caller ID and then charge you a monthly fee to put it back.

to be fair, they have to string their lines across thousands of kilometers of empty wasteland and beavers don't pay for telephone service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

are VoIP codecs good enough to encode V.34/V.90 or do they just speak modem on the client side, transmit the bytestream to the other end and then covert it back to audio like the cell network?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how do the cell phones in gas meters power themselves?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Am stations use low power at night and raise it during the day. Not sure why, maybe to reduce interference? I suppose signals go further when it's cooler.

My mom used to have a local christian radio station on in the morning and it would magically get clearer at 7am iirc

The ionosphere changes when it's being shielded from the Sun by the Earth and signals propagate farther at night (and during the winter).

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm not spending days on google to score internet points, what would be the point of that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8x_BWv_4gg&t=16s

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

all the AM stations that mattered in this neck of the woods switched to FM in a desperate attempt to appeal to the phone-with-FM-tuner demographic

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ATSC is going to be kinda ownage because its going to an IP multicast carrier with h.265 data and so the number of channels/audio carriers/whatever you want to jam in your frequency band is exclusively dictated by the amount of bandwidth and what resolution/bitrate you chose to broadcast in. so you could do like 4 1080p channels, or 1 UHD channel and maybe 1 additional SD channel, or 16 SD channels, or whatever other combo inbetween you can dream up

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it also allows you to get things like alt language carriers over your broadband connection while the video feed comes OTA and the tuner box will take cake of syncing them together before sending them up to the screen

these sound like a real neat features that nobody will ever use

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

i'd bet cable providers would use them in new generation digital cable.

i'd bet cable providers don't want to replace their cable boxes or roll out any kind of new infrastructure

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

you really think cable providers don't want to sell new boxes to people? really?

sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you'd think they'd just replace all the encryption keys on a regular interval and make the side channel continuously cycle through the current & next master encryption keys encrypted with each subscriber unit's unique key

• Locked thread