Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Panty Saluter posted:

fun fact: someone paid 30 USD for a black line emoticon to make this work

fun fact: they spent $90 on it and didn't even bother to make sure it synced up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

do cell towers not have battery backup? I guess that would be some fuckoff huge batteries to run them for longer than a couple days?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

computer parts posted:

i think they mean assuming you can't charge your cellphone

ah well. I have a car charger and a solar charger so I guess I wouldn't be super screwed unless the sun was blotted out & I ran out of gas

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

also a fast charge cell is 5v/2a, so 10w? so a 15w solar panel should get you decent charge assuming no nuclear winter

and again, you also probably have access to a self-propelled generator (i.e. a car)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

though in a situation where electric is out that long your gas is probably worth a bit more than getting a couple more rounds of angry birds in

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

I knew what the sounds I was looking at were before I relistened to the handshake video

modems are a whole other level of amazing anachronism, the amount of engineering that had to go into that handshake is mind blowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there's a tiny amount of truth in television in that old "keep them talking" thing though - you could get the operator to trace the trunk back as long as the line stayed open.

bomb threat procedures, even today, emphasize keeping them talking.

sure, it doesn't matter for tracing anymore, but the longer they talk, the more information they give away

• Locked thread