Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
when i'm rich and famous i'm going to stop carrying a cellphone and have a model 500 with a rotary to dtmf converter and an answering machine with a tape in it as my only phone because part of being rich is being able to inconvenience other people with bizarre eccentricities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Powercrazy posted:

Why do you need to be rich to do that? Just carry your iphone around and don't buy phone service.

i think you rather miss the point

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the first time I had an hd call to someone else on t-mobile it was absolutely amazing.

seconded, i switched to an iphone recently and the call quality difference when talking to other people with recent iphones on tmo is incredible

my mother with hearing problems was sold on a voip line by at&t to replace her old pots since she can't imagine living without a land line, and it is compete dogshit

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

power botton posted:

just like all infrastructure once you know a little bit about it its astounding that anything works at all ever

http://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/random/How%20Complex%20Systems%20Fail.pdf

this is a good read

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

also this conversation reminds me of one of my favorite bits from sterling's "heavy weather" (written in 1994 so the future tech's a little silly by modern standards but surprisingly good for a book so old):

quote:

Shutting down the Troupe's systems was delicate work. Even the minor systems, for instance, the little telephone switches, had a million or more lines of antique corporate freeware. The software had been created by vast teams of twentieth-century software engineers, hired labor for extinct telephone empires like AT&T and SPRINT. It was freeware because it was old, and because everybody who'd ever made it was either dead now or in other work. Those armies of telephone engineers were now as scattered and extinct as the Soviet Red Army.

Those armies of engineers had basically been automated out of existence, replaced by higher-and-higher-level expert systems, that did error checks, bug hunts, resets, fault recoveries. Now a single individual could use the technology - any individual with a power plug and a desk. The sweat and talent of tens of thousands of clever people had vanished into a box you could hold in your hand and buy in a flea market.

The Troupe's switching stations were cheap-rear end little Malaysian-made boxes of recycled barf-colored plastic. They cost about as much as a pair of good shoes.

There wasn't a single human being left in the world who fully understood what was going on inside those little boxes. Actually, no single human being in the world had ever understood an intellectual structure of that complexity. Any box running a million lines of code was far beyond the direct comprehension of any human brain. And it was simply impossible to watch those modern screamer-chips grind that old code, on any intimate line-by-line basis. It was like trying to listen in on every conversation in a cocktail party bigger than Manhattan.

As a single human individual, you could only interface with that code on a very remote and abstract level - you had to negotiate with the code, gently, politely, and patiently, the way you might have dealt with a twentieth-century phone company. You owned a twentieth-century phone company - it was all inside the box now.

As you climbed higher and higher up the stacks of interface, away from the slippery bedrock of the hardware grinding the ones and zeros, it was like walking on stilts.

And then, stilts for your stilts, and stilts for your stilts for your stilts. You could plug a jack in the back of the box and run like the wind of the wind. Until something crashed somewhere, that the system's system's system couldn't diagnose and figure out and override. Then you threw the little box away and plugged in another one.

The Troupe's system was temperamental. To say the least. For instance, the order in which you detached the subsystems mattered a lot. There was no easy or direct explanation as to why that should matter, but it mattered plenty.

Jane kept careful professional track of the system's incongruities, its wealth of senseless high-level knots and kinks and cramps. She kept her notes with pencil and paper, in a little looseleaf leather notebook she'd had since college. Mickey the sysadmin and Rick the code grinder had given Jane wary, weary looks when she'd first started working seriously on the Troupe's system, but she'd more proved her worth since then. She'd resolved screwups, seizures, and blockages that had had had Mickey cursing wildly and Rick so mired in code that he staggered around camp like a blacked-out drunk.

The difference between hacking code and hacking interface was like the difference between a soldier and a diplomat. Certain crises would only yield to a political solution.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

heres all the ones that can appear in the game http://imgur.com/a/eQPgH

I want that crazy one but I think it was just a prototype when I went lookin

krz is awesome and i wish i had the money to buy things like that to support the project

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Alereon posted:

i had a customer that was in a similar situation, i dont know what switch they had but it was old because it had to continue to operate over some gently caress-off ancient coax line with awful loss. their network would isolate every time the weather turned to poo poo. they were in a bowl-shaped area so couldnt do microwave links and were too far away to cost-effectively run fiber. i think they eventually sold to at&t on the condition that they lay fiber and replace the switch

and then they didn't lay any fiber, right?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

he's younger than windows 95

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

laying fiber costs money that could instead go to executive bonuses or shareholder dividends

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

crap this thread turned to isp chat again

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

for years i thought that nothing could beat southwestern bell in terms of both evil and incompetence but it turned out that swb was merely a small aspect of a then-divided deity that would one day be whole again

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

i'm the dummy hunt group being used as a yes/no switch in a vector because we don't have the license for variables

okay you need to explain this to us muggles because what

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

a vector is how you create phone-trees and decision-making within the phone system. a hunt group is something that someone can log their phone into to answer calls, like you would use for e.g. a help desk. the ability to use variables in vectors was going to cost us something like $15K/yr, so we didn't have it because we mostly didn't have much use for it. what you could do is query the hunt group to see if anyone was logged into it and branch based on that, so you didnt' route calls into an empty group.

the vector in question was to manage a help desk that had different call functionality based on whether they were "open" or closed, but it wasn't strictly set on time-of-day or anything else that we could use to automate it, as i recall. they wanted a push-button to enable or disable the different modes. so we created a dummy hunt group that we could program a key on the phone to log into. when the phone was logged into the open-closed hunt group, the branch in the vector would go one way, and when the phone was logged out, it branched the other way. as I recall, we also had to set the branching logically backward so that the light on the phone would act the way the help desk wanted it to, i.e. when the count was 0 the desk was open.

i'm assuming that the $15k/year was for setting a flag in a config file somewhere?

but yeah, that's a pretty elegant workaround

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

if they charge you $15k a year for variables in your call routing then i can understand why people use stuff like asterisk even though it's crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

I like to think I escaped without any permanent damage but it's hard to tell sometimes :ohdear:

if you're posting here you are already damaged beyond hope of recovery

sorry

• Locked thread