Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xotl posted:

I regret that I'm getting this one too late to participate, but I did order it just because of the good word I've seen here. Best of luck on your career, Seth.

The thread won't close. Discussion on books of the month can always continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

General Battuta posted:

Ah, the month is almost over! I'll never be this famous again!

I think it's important to leave a wall between writer and reader so that the reader has room to interpret the text without the author drooling all over. But whatever gently caress that, I'll talk about some poo poo.

I'm curious how many people picked up on/cared at all about the more subtle threads in the book. I tried to bury the plots of other novels in the story, then make Baru resolutely ignore them (because she's so focused on her goal). Part of the idea was to reward rereads, part of the idea was to seed future stories that would be interesting, but mostly I wanted the novel to illustrate that the world was bigger than Baru.

Just off the top of my head:

Heingyl Ri's plan to take over Aurdwynn.

The true identity of the actress in the bar (this one's super easy).

Exactly which vengeance-crazed individual killed Duke Sahaule, and why Baru presumes it was done!

Xate Yawa's motives throughout the novel (pretty explicitly revealed), and the identity of her backer.

The fate of Xate Olake's daughter with Tain Ko.

The identity of the man with the iron circle that Tain Hu mentions, although it'd be a mad stretch to guess this one just from the textual evidence.

Exactly what brought down the Tu Maia heartland.

The scientific error that drives Masquerade eugenics.

I'll try to remember if I dropped any other threads!

The last one has to be some form of soft inheritance/Lamarckism, right? I enjoyed that most of the Masquerade's atrocities were justified or driven by bad science rather than religion. It felt fresher than the usual fantasy take on things, and very 1984.

I'm terrible at catching hidden storylines like the others on a first read, though. I guess it's something to look forward to on a reread, ideally when the sequel comes out :)

E: I thought of a question I had about the worldbuilding. Would Baru's mother think of her as a lesbian? Or, if that's unclear: was sexuality perceived in terms of identity on Taranoke before Falcrest's colonization?

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 24, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nah, they didn't have those constructs. I'm sure people would have socially recognized tastes, but it'd be more like 'I like vanilla ice cream' than 'I am a vanilla-eater'.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I've been debating all month if I wanted to feel some literary despair and finally decided, hell the gently caress yes and bought the book. Two chapters in and boy howdy, I am pretty sure I made the right call.

Good poo poo, Battuta. I'm looking forward to this one, even if I'm also a bit late for the BOTM thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its only available to order on Amazon but I think "Voices from Chernobyl" by Svetlana Alexievich would be good. It's interesting, relevant, short, and she did just win the Nobel Prize.

OK that will go in the poll but I need more suggestions than just that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK that will go in the poll but I need more suggestions than just that

Should probably make a thread, I doubt most of the forum checks this thread if they aren't interested in the book

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
I'll nominate A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James since it won the Man Booker prize this month. It's a Jamaican novel about the attempted assassination of Bob Marley.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crashbee posted:

I'll nominate A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James since it won the Man Booker prize this month. It's a Jamaican novel about the attempted assassination of Bob Marley.

Only about the first 200 pages actually.

It's very good but it's a monster

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Crashbee posted:

About two-thirds through and I'm not really following Baru's motivation. Why is she leading this rebellion again? I don't see how it helps liberate her homeland.

e: ...oh.

Yeah, I got a bit lost around that point and thought the rebel-leader part was the least interesting section of the book. I did suspect what she was up to, but since I wasn't sure I kept questioning her motivation. I did think her constant "I have everything planned out, oh wait a thing I didn't plan for is happening, oh well I solved it!" cycle got a bit grating towards the end too, but overall I liked the book and look forward to a sequel.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, I got a bit lost around that point and thought the rebel-leader part was the least interesting section of the book. I did suspect what she was up to, but since I wasn't sure I kept questioning her motivation. I did think her constant "I have everything planned out, oh wait a thing I didn't plan for is happening, oh well I solved it!" cycle got a bit grating towards the end too, but overall I liked the book and look forward to a sequel.

I was actually expecting it to turn out she'd been brainwashed into giving away the rebellion's plans without realising it, making her a traitor to herself.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Loved this. Beautifully written, there were passages that I re-read multiple times because they were just so well-composed.

Also laughed out loud for real at the fencing response bit.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say i really enjoyed this book. Right after i finshed it i bought one for my cousins birthday and reccomended it to my mom :shobon:

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.
I saw the title of this book and thought to myself 'That's a really cool title', so I clicked on this thread, read a few posts, and got the book.

I devoured it over the course of a few days. I loved it. Everything from the prose to the characters to the setting. I've not read a book this fast since I first read Glen Cook's Black Company, nor have enjoyed it this much. I saw people saying it's soul crushing and depressing, but I didn't really feel that. Until the end of course. It made perfect sense but I didn't see it coming at all. Another reason why I want to reread this as soon as possible.

Great, fantastic book. Please write more.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Impaired Casing posted:

I saw people saying it's soul crushing and depressing, but I didn't really feel that. Until the end of course. It made perfect sense but I didn't see it coming at all. Another reason why I want to reread this as soon as possible.

Haha, I was about to ask! I was ... admittedly caught off guard a bit by her being a traitor twice over. I mean, she said right at the start of the book, and the start of her tenure, where her loyalties lay, and yet! It's the loving title! And yet. I was so willing to buy in. Goddamn, that ending. Part of me is a bit frustrated over more tragic lesbians, oh boy, never enough of those I guess but I get why it happened that way and I did really enjoy the book. There's some really lovely prose in here. I'm looking forward to the next one for sure.

Edit: Silly question, is there an 'official' pronunciation for the character names? "Lyxaxu" in particular kept varying wildly in how I thought that sounded.

Also, think I missed it, but how long has the Masquerade been around as a political force/empire?

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 31, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Haha, I was about to ask! I was ... admittedly caught off guard a bit by her being a traitor twice over. I mean, she said right at the start of the book, and the start of her tenure, where her loyalties lay, and yet! It's the loving title! And yet. I was so willing to buy in. Goddamn, that ending. Part of me is a bit frustrated over more tragic lesbians, oh boy, never enough of those I guess but I get why it happened that way and I did really enjoy the book. There's some really lovely prose in here. I'm looking forward to the next one for sure.

Edit: Silly question, is there an 'official' pronunciation for the character names? "Lyxaxu" in particular kept varying wildly in how I thought that sounded.

Also, think I missed it, but how long has the Masquerade been around as a political force/empire?

I imagined Lyxaxu being pronounced as someone angrily starting to call you a liar and then sneezing in the middle of the word.

Also, while I get the criticism of tragic lesbian stories on a cultural level, I don't think it holds much water on an individual one. Especially this one, where the tragic outcome was character-driven, rather than an inevitable result of their sexuality (I know that's basically what you said).

E. Actually, I'm going to go on about that because I think it was quite well done. Even in an intensely homophobic society, Baru had the option to carve out a life for herself with Tain Hu. Things ended tragically because she steamrolled over her chances to be happy, or because she wouldn't have been happy with that life anyway, not because the chances weren't there. It worked for me because I never felt like tragedy was the only option for Baru, and her character was flawed in such a way that her story ending up tragic for her anyway made sense.

Also there's a sequel planned, and who knows what might happen there.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 31, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Esme posted:

I imagined Lyxaxu being pronounced as someone angrily starting to call you a liar and then sneezing in the middle of the word.

Also, while I get the criticism of tragic lesbian stories on a cultural level, I don't think it holds much water on an individual one. Especially this one, where the tragic outcome was character-driven, rather than an inevitable result of their sexuality (I know that's basically what you said).

E. Actually, I'm going to go on about that because I think it was quite well done. Even in an intensely homophobic society, Baru had the option to carve out a life for herself with Tain Hu. Things ended tragically because she steamrolled over her chances to be happy, or because she wouldn't have been happy with that life anyway, not because the chances weren't there. It worked for me because I never felt like tragedy was the only option for Baru, and her character was flawed in such a way that her story ending up tragic for her anyway made sense.

Wasn't the point of the ending the fact that she could only live with Tain if she accepted that her relationship would be used to blackmail and manipulate her for the rest of her life? Doesn't sound like much of an option to me.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 31, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Esme posted:

Oh, yeah, totally agreed. I mean, she's been fed the narrative her whole life - it's a choice she made because of her own flaws, a huge number of which were foisted on her by the schooling she received and society she's been raised in since the Masquerade came to Taranoke. So tragic lesbians makes sense in the context of the story at hand, and I think it's a valid commentary on that. Her choice is flawed, and like Crashbee says, it would have been held over her head the entire time as blackmail. Baru is an incredibly goal-oriented character with a real skill for self-denial.

Like, she was never really looking out for the dukes of Aurdwynn. She was always looking for her own power, and for Taranoke after that - even with the chances open to her to do things differently, I don't she ever saw those as valid options. She tried sending Tain Hu away, at least, but that didn't work. If she'd taken those other routes she wouldn't have been able to go to Falcrest/work her way into the cabal behind the Throne; or she would have, but would have had a knife over her head all the while ... I get what led her to her choices, mostly, sort of. I don't necessarily agree with those choices but it made sense. Tain Hu's death makes an awful sense. And man, Baru's scary.

I'm still bummed about it, though! I can accept it logically and still, as a gay woman myself, be frustrated, you dig? These are the stories I get all the time, too! Two women get together, but whoops, it's gonna end in tragedy. I think I'm displeased on a broad level, and not at the specific story. Just because it's a good story, just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's not also still part of that broader context.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Crashbee posted:

Wasn't the point of the ending the fact that she could only live with Tain if she accepted that her relationship would be used to blackmail and manipulate her for the rest of her life? Doesn't sound like much of an option to me.

There were points before that where things could have gone differently, she just would have had to change a lot of her goals and priorities. See the part I bolded here:

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Like, she was never really looking out for the dukes of Aurdwynn. She was always looking for her own power, and for Taranoke after that - even with the chances open to her to do things differently, I don't she ever saw those as valid options. She tried sending Tain Hu away, at least, but that didn't work. If she'd taken those other routes she wouldn't have been able to go to Falcrest/work her way into the cabal behind the Throne; or she would have, but would have had a knife over her head all the while ... I get what led her to her choices, mostly, sort of. I don't necessarily agree with those choices but it made sense. Tain Hu's death makes an awful sense. And man, Baru's scary.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm still bummed about it, though! I can accept it logically and still, as a gay woman myself, be frustrated, you dig? These are the stories I get all the time, too! Two women get together, but whoops, it's gonna end in tragedy. I think I'm displeased on a broad level, and not at the specific story. Just because it's a good story, just because it makes sense, doesn't mean it's not also still part of that broader context.

To this point, sure, I agree with you. I just tend to have a kneejerk reaction against that reaction, because so often I see it used to condemn a story on sight. Which isn't what you did at all!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Super good posts.

I don't know if I'm overstepping here in deploying Authorial Intent: I hope not. but I see the tragic queer narrative as the final boss of the story - the last cultural script Baru must confront. The whole novel is a series of stock fantasy narratives (colonizers arrive; feudal Game of Thrones power struggle; tragic queers; each one usually written from the perspective of the colonizer, the feudal lord, the straight person) into which Baru is deployed to claim power, subvert the story, and take over. It's a reaction to the argument that there are certain stories in which you couldn't write a queer woman of color as a protagonist because she'd be too oppressed to have agency - Baru is always able to find a way to claim agency and act as a driving protagonist, it just comes at increasing personal cost, because the forces she's fighting against wouldn't be worthy opponents unless they could inflict punishment on those who defy.

The Masquerade uses a conditioning game on its prisoners: provide hope, take it away, repeat, until the prisoner falls into a state of learned helplessness, conditioned to believe that a happy ending is impossible. The Masquerade tries to use this same game on Baru, teaching her that queer relationships always end in tragedy, forcing her to reenact the dissolution of her family. Baru constantly 'solves' the Masquerade's challenges by both enacting and subverting them - is she supporting them, or fighting them? Where's the line? Is Tain Hu's death a transformative moment of hope, or a final surrender?

And the book itself is structured to perform the same conditioning game on the reader. Do you see the ending as a continuation of the cycle, or an end to it? Do you walk away with a sense of hope, or profound despair? Has the Masquerade convinced you that its logic is total and inescapable? Do you believe that Baru can ever retire happily with a wife and a legacy she's proud of? Or does she finally love Big Brother?

I think it's important to note that the final act is almost wholly driven by Tain Hu. We don't know how she was captured. Is it possible that she turned herself in so that she could get back to Baru and fulfill her vows both to the Fairer Hand and to Vultjag? Yeah, definitely, even if the text doesn't outright confirm or deny it. But either way, Tain Hu was able to learn from and deploy Baru's own skills in manipulating information to force Baru's hand. Through her conversations with Apparitor, she made herself the Throne's primary control over Baru, and then she put herself in a position so that Baru could remove that control. She also got it on record that Baru was lesbian, so Baru no longer has to conceal this fact from the rest of the Throne, hopefully giving her a chance to move forward into more open emotional space. As a reader of (my own) text, I'm embarrassed to admit I'm a little moved by Tain Hu's resolve and dedication.

I do wish that I had more explicitly highlighted the happy queer relationships in the book, like Tain Hu's friendships with her other lovers. At the time I wrote it I felt that Baru would subconsciously deny recognition of these relationships as part of her own psychological self-defense. It was very hard to try to illustrate Baru's character with this kind of negative space, using things she didn't see as information. I hope I managed to show that the tragic queer story is a story enforced by Masquerade power, a story vulnerable to subversion and defiance, not a story intrinsic to the logic of the world itself.

:words:

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I had no idea what was happening going in to this book, and i was extremely wary after page 2 indicated the main character had two dads. I blind-suggested it for my monthly book group, and thought I was going to eat poo poo after 2 pages.

That said, what an excellent portrayal and use of sexuality. I've never read a book before that utilized it so well - it's usually a gimmick to sell a sex scene or a complete bluster; in this it was a major plot point, but tasteful. I spent 50 pages waiting for Baru to gently caress Tain Hu, and then still loving cried over her sending her away. And then completely understood her being killed. What a brutal loving world they live in.

Made me want to read 10 more. Great book, Battuta. My book club meets next week - I hope you'll answer our questions!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Loutre posted:

i was extremely wary after page 2 indicated the main character had two dads.
Why would that make you wary?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
SJWs, am i rite????

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

A human heart posted:

Why would that make you wary?

Two dads and a mom to be exact. I thought I was getting into either another YA novel or a tumblr thought piece. Nothing wrong at all after I got into it - just something like that being front and center page one or two worried me. I want hardcore accounting action, not a big political message.

And I've been burned in this book club - our last book had a 30 page treatise on furries that scarred me forever.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Back to the book, I think Muire Lo was a real tragedy. Nothing Xate Yawa did said she deserved ascension, so I hope she doesn't get it in the next book, although I fully expect her to get it and become adversarial with Baru.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Loutre posted:

And I've been burned in this book club - our last book had a 30 page treatise on furries that scarred me forever.

Uh which book was this exactly?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
ah, the fabled lost chapter of Wilkie Collins' 'Moonstone'...

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Hedrigall posted:

Uh which book was this exactly?

Fables of the Bear by John Sayne, a local author. Good luck finding a copy, I'm almost positive he self published it for thousands of dollars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm glad you can't patch books, I'd be tweaking sentences left and right! Last month I put out another installment of this mod I work on (for the old game FreeSpace 2), and while the ability to go back and rework systems you're not satisfied with is great, I think it's a much better idea for games than books.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
This book is really drat good. As for the buried plotlines you were asking about, batutta, I'll need to reread because I kept saying to myself: "Huh, that's an interesting detail. I bet that character is known to me or I should catch that reference or something. Oh well, on with the important scheming!". Because the forward momentum of the book just kept me wanting to keep reading, I never stopped to really think about it. Saw the hooks, but ignored them because Baru did. :v:

E: I think kj Parker's engineer series is the best comparison, but I liked this far more. Baru's schemes make much more sense than whatsisname's, and the characters are better written.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 3, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Picked this up today based on all the goon recommendations I've been seeing.

Have not cracked it yet, but look forward to curling up in bed tonight and giving it a read (and apparently getting really depressed)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

All right, fine, I'll buy the drat thing if that's what you all want. Jeez.

"best nihilistic genre fiction since Blindsight" was enough for me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

General Battuta, your book is loving uncomfortable to read and I can't put it down :dogbutton:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WarLocke posted:

General Battuta, your book is loving uncomfortable to read and I can't put it down :dogbutton:

We just found another advertising blurb!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We just found another advertising blurb!

I somehow doubt that language is acceptable for a jacket blurb, but it's totally true.

I was up until the wee morning hours on Christmas Day finishing it. That ending was brutal, holy poo poo.

There had better be more planned for Baru in the future because to have done all that and end there would be the worst of all options.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Had just bought some China mieville and saw this thread. Instead of reading what I bought I checked out two free chapters and was hooked. Bought it off Google play and read it in two days.

Great book. I love this strange horrible world and it's many secrets. Looking forward to reading more of the same! (same but different I hope)

The clarified were when I went "they did what, holy poo poo how will anyone ever stop them if they can do this?"

Kinda hoping you introduce some supernatural bits from past the mother of storms. Because how else do you challenge an empire that builds slave golems from babies?

Also general battuta your questions on the last page were interesting. I'll have to consider them later. Too bad nobody has really responded to them.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I finished this yesterday and thought myself clever for guessing before the ending that Baru had not yet committed enough treason to be the Traitor, and that there was only one prize left to deliver. But i missed every one of those posed questions entirely so... good job hiding things in her blind spots, i suppose.

The other character i was reminded of at the end was Zakalwe; that almost-perfect ruthlessness, with one tiny flaw of humanity that keeps them just barely above total sociopathy. But where that was about the use of weapons, this seems to be the forging of them. So if you want 'some random nerd on the internet made an offhand comparison to Banks' for a dust jacket, i suppose there you go.

Anyway, it was a fascinating read, even if i am somewhat unable to quite describe my reaction as "enjoyment". Has your corporate overlord delivered a schedule for the mythical Next Book you can share, and in it, will our newly minted Agonist be prot- or ant-?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ceebees posted:

I finished this yesterday and thought myself clever for guessing before the ending that Baru had not yet committed enough treason to be the Traitor, and that there was only one prize left to deliver. But i missed every one of those posed questions entirely so... good job hiding things in her blind spots, i suppose.

The other character i was reminded of at the end was Zakalwe; that almost-perfect ruthlessness, with one tiny flaw of humanity that keeps them just barely above total sociopathy. But where that was about the use of weapons, this seems to be the forging of them. So if you want 'some random nerd on the internet made an offhand comparison to Banks' for a dust jacket, i suppose there you go.

Anyway, it was a fascinating read, even if i am somewhat unable to quite describe my reaction as "enjoyment". Has your corporate overlord delivered a schedule for the mythical Next Book you can share, and in it, will our newly minted Agonist be prot- or ant-?

Any comparison to Use of Weapons is a good comparison! I'll get Tor to put you right on the cover :v:

I'm glad you liked it! I am still working on the second book and hope to have it out in fall 2017.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
But that is two years from now :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Affi posted:

But that is two years from now :(

It was supposed to be out this next fall but after crunching really hard working on Destiny I got super depressed and that set me back about a year :( I've thrown about 300,000 words on this second book, which is more than twice the length of the first one! Fortunately this latest draft seems to be sticking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

We're only bummed because your first book was amazeballs. Don't try to rush the next and burn yourself out man. We'll deal with waiting.

(:negative:)

• Locked thread