Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
I’m more interested in wtf happened with all the POC at Florrick-Argos who were oh-so crucial. That was the weirdest case of token minority on a show in recent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

I’m more interested in wtf happened with all the POC at Florrick-Argos who were oh-so crucial. That was the weirdest case of token minority on a show in recent memory.

I guess that's how Mr. Dipple who is now running Lockhart-Agos, likes it. It's also why clients who look for diversity in their chosen law firm will be flocking to Florrick, Quinn & Associates. :).

And, I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan but that backstory about him being a lawyer who was disbarred for punching a judge and then he became a PI was quite far-fetched. And you'd think something like that would be known by many lawyers, and certainly a point that would come up with any online search done before hiring him.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Binary Logic posted:

And, I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan but that backstory about him being a lawyer who was disbarred for punching a judge and then he became a PI was quite far-fetched. And you'd think something like that would be known by many lawyers, and certainly a point that would come up with any online search done before hiring him.

I figured it was the writers aping that Florida judge who challenged a public attorney to a fight, apparently won off camera but not off mic, and returned to continue judging like he didn't know he was going to have to resign soon. Or get disbarred or disjudgshiped or whatever they did I don't remember.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

FetusSlapper posted:

I figured it was the writers aping that Florida judge who challenged a public attorney to a fight, apparently won off camera but not off mic, and returned to continue judging like he didn't know he was going to have to resign soon. Or get disbarred or disjudgshiped or whatever they did I don't remember.

Lmao is there link somewhere?

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Boatswain posted:

Lmao is there link somewhere?

http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/06/03/punches-thrown-in-hallway-of-florida-cou?videoId=313171577

It was one of the sub-pieces on a Last Week Tonight a few weeks ago.

*edit* I guess he's facing 'disciplinarian actions' instead of being removed but I'm sure thats just a first step. This also does appear to be similar to the situation between Ms. Floric and judge Shooter McGavin. In that there is a judge being bitchy about the flow of his court to the detriment of the constitutional rights of the people in his court.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...b-1226942798880

FetusSlapper fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2015

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Jeffrey Dean Morgan, what a comedian

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/09/viven_eng_dead_actress_ny_broadway_dylan_baker.html

An "accident."

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Life imitates art, or the other way around :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

:eyepop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eli still owning. I just want him to piss all over Peter and his campaign then laugh in his face.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure what I think of Jefferey Dean Morgan's character. I mean, I love Jefferey Dean Morgan, but :shrug:
And, yup, new love interest.

Also, who pays Eli? It seems like he's Office Spacing his career at this point. But holy poo poo, he's such a devious little fucker. :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty sure he used that crowbar on the scammer

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty sure he used that crowbar on the scammer

If he'll punch a judge, he'll smack a scammer.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Howard is killing me :roflolmao:

E: What an enjoyable episode.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 2, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This episode was so good. How the writers this good failed to see how bad the prison/campaign plotlines were is beyond me.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I kinda wish they'd drop the old law firm entirely at this point. The Howard thing is funny but they can't keep it going forever and I really like the dynamic of Alicia's new ragtag band.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

misguided rage posted:

I kinda wish they'd drop the old law firm entirely at this point. The Howard thing is funny but they can't keep it going forever and I really like the dynamic of Alicia's new ragtag band.

I think they managed to put a neat bow on it this episode, I'd be disappointed if next episode Cary finds out the sensitivity counselor was an actress hired by Howard to one up them & the feud is back on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Lee in that sensitivity meeting would have been gold

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I don't mean that they're going to drag out the Howard thing, I mean that it's going to end and they'll need to come up with another reason for Cary and Diane to get screentime. I would prefer that they switch over to recurring cast rather than main and get used more like Canning, but that's probably not going to happen because of the way TV works.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Maybe Gov Florrick will have his own Whitewater and bring in Cary and Diane to represent him.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
What did they do to Finn? Gone with the wind?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bornbytheriver posted:

He's working at the same lawfirm as Taye Diggs and Robin.

:rip:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's working at the same lawfirm as Taye Diggs and Robin.

:rip:

I thought it was particularly funny at the beginning of the season when everyone was like "with Kalinda gone we have no idea where to find a new investigator!!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And Nathan Lane

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

bornbytheriver posted:

Didn't last season end with him and Alicia deciding to start a law firm? (Dear Good Wife writers, try a different plot line.)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

violetdragon posted:

Didn't last season end with him and Alicia deciding to start a law firm? (Dear Good Wife writers, try a different plot line.)

No he decided he couldn't be friends with Alicia because their will-they-wont-they didn't work for him or his wife to be.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Boatswain posted:

No he decided he couldn't be friends with Alicia because their will-they-wont-they didn't work for him or his wife to be.

Ok, thanks. I couldn't remember.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

And Nathan Lane

I think Grace is filling in for him. She no longer needs to go to school, so she is an accountant, investigator, office manager. She'll be filing VAT returns and annual balance sheet with the Company's Register at the end of this season.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
how old is Grace supposed to be anyway?

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
It seems weird that a woman who took a break from the workforce and found it very difficult that first year even with a law degree under her belt would disregard her daughter's need for higher education. Grace isn't going to college at all?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grace won't ever struggle for money. Her dad comes from a wealthy family.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That judge is melodramatic as gently caress, it's great

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Grace won't ever struggle for money. Her dad comes from a wealthy family.

The good lord provides.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Diane rocking her gangsta chains again. :snoop:

Judge Shooter McGavin is pretty good. I hope he stays around all season.

:nsa: is back haha

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know what's with the Middle Eastern music during the NSA scenes but I like it.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Yay the NSA is back, their episodes are the best!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Great episode, sliiightly uncomfortable with the plotline of racial discrimination on a show where all the main characters are white.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I love it when Good Wife goes strange, with the loving singing goats or the Iceland intro for instance :v:

ufarn posted:

Great episode, sliiightly uncomfortable with the plotline of racial discrimination on a show where all the main characters are white.

I thought that maybe the showrunners were pointing at themselves for that, but I completely see where you're coming from.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Boatswain posted:

I thought that maybe the showrunners were pointing at themselves for that, but I completely see where you're coming from.
My problem with racism on the show is that whenever it's on it, it's as A Thing. The first season of the show was fantastic, and one of my favourite of any show ever, particularly because the show had casual sexism inundating the viewer and Alicia, even from the people closest to Alicia. The show later dropped the ball on that around season two, but for something as absent from the show as race, this episode with the theme of The Black Applicant also turned into The Non-White Episode. I like when the show has episodes involving racial matters, but the non-white characters on the show shouldn't feel relegated to The Non-White Character.

Casual racism on a show, especially from the characters whom the shown have lead us to like is fantastic and hugely important, but it's cheap when the writers occasionally just push a button to turn it on - the default being off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The black characters on the show have always been one-note characters in the past. Lemond Bishop is pretty much an evil psycho. Julian was the most asexual and non-threatening black partner in the firm. Wendy Scott Card was annoyingly persistent and vindictive. Pretty much none of them are likable except Lemond Bishop dresses amazingly in every scene.

And Matan Brody is a huge smug piece of poo poo.

Actually when I think about it most characters on the show are lovely people.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 9, 2015

• Locked thread