Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

dehydration is a hosed up way to die but lol if you can't laugh at how dumb someone has to be to think that cartoon Santa's approach is the best way in a house without the key. he's getting a darwin award nomination as a consolation prize so it's not all bad!
Isn't that how they cleaned chimneys in older times though, just sent small boys that could shimmy the whole way up/down? Really dumb to try it alone admittedly, but I don't think it's quite fair to compare to cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

ArbitraryC posted:

Isn't that how they cleaned chimneys in older times though, just sent small boys that could shimmy the whole way up/down? Really dumb to try it alone admittedly, but I don't think it's quite fair to compare to cartoons.

I guess the small living brooms started down and went up the chimney. They weren't stupid, just poor.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The perfect murder

just toss them down a chimney. Whenever theyre found, people will just assume they were idiots who darwin'd themselves

somewhere out there is a killer on the loose, stuffing people down chimneys even as we speak

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Zzulu posted:

The perfect murder

just toss them down a chimney. Whenever theyre found, people will just assume they were idiots who darwin'd themselves

somewhere out there is a killer on the loose, stuffing people down chimneys even as we speak

That's ridiculous.

Can you meet me on the roof? I have something to show you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I guess he'll never be the HEAD of a major corporation!!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nooner posted:

guess you could say.. that kid got smoked

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

guess you could say.. that kid got smoked

it's pretty grating to think about

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't understand the "climb down" a chimney plan even if you can be certain you won't get stuck. What is there to climb? Is a chimney not just a big chute from the roof to the floor? Even if you have no problems with obstructions and sizing whatsoever, aren't you just going to slide/fall straight down and break your leg? I mean it's like there are handholds and poo poo.

What is the loving plan there?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't understand the "climb down" a chimney plan even if you can be certain you won't get stuck. What is there to climb? Is a chimney not just a big chute from the roof to the floor? Even if you have no problems with obstructions and sizing whatsoever, aren't you just going to slide/fall straight down and break your leg? I mean it's like there are handholds and poo poo.

What is the loving plan there?

Were you a really fat kid or something? If you have 2+ walls close enough together you can make friction by pushing against the sides.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

Were you a really fat kid or something? If you have 2+ walls close enough together you can make friction by pushing against the sides.

Yeah as a kid I did that on doorframes and poo poo. But who knows what it's like inside a chimney? What material is it made of? Is it slick or coarse? I don't have a clue and I wouldn't find out if it involves doing so over a 20 ft plus drop.

Why would taking the route that involves a long drop if you mess up ever be better than a window, even if you have to smash it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah exactly this works going down, so they think they can get out

but then they get to the smoke chamber:

That Robot posted:

so apparently this is how a chimney actually works

there's a lot of poo poo involved fyi

and they can't climb out of there because it's too wide and overhangs, and they can't fit through the throat to get out. it's the perfect human trap. they just have to sit there and die in a really lovely way for a few days.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah as a kid I did that on doorframes and poo poo. But who knows what it's like inside a chimney? What material is it made of? Is it slick or coarse? I don't have a clue and I wouldn't find out if it involves doing so over a 20 ft plus drop.

Why would taking the route that involves a long drop if you mess up ever be better than a window, even if you have to smash it.

breaking a window makes it very obvious you broke in, if this actually worked then no one would realize he went to the cabin to do drugs

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
You know, the Victorians flipped out over the mere possibility of being buried alive to the point they rigged up elaborate bell-pull systems for graves but somehow nobody minded the idea of getting caught in a chimney all that much, even though the latter was far more likely I mean wtf

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Man Dies Wedged Between Oakland Structures After Fleeing From Police

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

You know, the Victorians flipped out over the mere possibility of being buried alive to the point they rigged up elaborate bell-pull systems for graves but somehow nobody minded the idea of getting caught in a chimney all that much, even though the latter was far more likely I mean wtf

well the only people who ever went down them were poor people and children

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Slowly starving to death while not being able to move your body at all would own.

The average person can survive 30+ days without food, I myself have gone a week (and lost 10 lbs!) but one can only go a few days without water.

He died of dehydration.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 5, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

starry skies above posted:

poo poo, this isn't even funny

wrong

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

it turns out there's no way to get down a chimney to the firepit; you cannot safely enter a building that way.

this has to be one of the shittiest ways to go

Why not just break a window? In for a penny, in for a pound, crimewise

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Fansy posted:

He died of dehydration.

my guess would be that or exposure. basically outside, surrounded only by bricks, possibly getting rained on, in colorado.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

TBH a fat kid should have no problem generating friction in a chimney.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thank you, natural selection.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ElGroucho posted:

yeah but now instead of a nice cozy cabin you ahve a cabin with a broken window with like bugs and poo poo going in and out

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Kuato posted:

what a way to go. mustve been horrible being stuck in the chimney with only ones thoughts for a few days. I'm guessing he second guessed the decision to go down the chimney in particular.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How loving fat was he? - a 1-foot gap should not kill you, it should be the perfect getaway passage

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The best thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so wonderful. It was Christmas Eve. I was 39 years old. My daughter and I were decorating the tree, I didn't have the heart to tell her that no good cheating bastard wasn't coming home tonight. A couple hours went by. She was starting to get suspicious. I called the office and pretended to talk into the phone menu. I took some benzos and pretty much floated through Christmas Day. I called the cops on the 26th and they started looking. I benzoed out for the next week, and apparently forgot to eat. Stupid furnace died, so my daughter goes to light a fire. Long story short, I'm pretty sure my daughter knows what cooked pig smells like.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

posting from inside a chimney. don't send help, i deserve 2 die

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

its okay, youve got at least 10 days based on average goon fat content, just hope it rains

so its going to be at least 8 days until your bulk recedes enough to allow yourself to move freely within the chimney, so put this on repeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJRzoj7ke4

i need you to learn how to do that, because no one is coming for you lol

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Hell Yeah posted:

posting from inside a chimney. don't send help, i deserve 2 die

:agreed:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Thank you, natural selection.

Novo posted:

apparently this is more common than i thought

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/01/california.chimney.death/
http://abcnews.go.com/US/skeleton-found-chimney-27-years-man-disappeared/story?id=14169501
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=94297&page=1

if i ever decide to commit suicide i'm going to try to come up with a great place to hide my body

One of these people was a PHD. I'm not sure what selection pressure is at work here.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Nooner posted:

this is a great absurdist meme started by the legendary poster dad gay. so what

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

That Robot posted:

this is a great absurdist meme started by the legendary poster dad gay. so what

its actually taken from the hit mike meyers comedy austin powers international man of msyerty

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aULRhgG_Az8

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
do you thin his body got turned into jerky by the woodsmoke and lasted a few extra years before going skeletal?

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Humboldt Squid posted:

One of these people was a PHD. I'm not sure what selection pressure is at work here.

knowing that it's a bad idea to crawl into tight spaces that you might not be able to get out of

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Humboldt Squid posted:

Probably the PHD selection process being too much to deal with.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

What an awful loving way to die.

Probably screamed himself hoarse. Then only death awaited

My thought as well. God drat that's a dark turn for a silly prank.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Humboldt Squid posted:

To be fair she was also a crazed ex-girlfriend.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
how narrow is a chimney? if its too narrow to even put your arms at your side, you'd have to really cram yourself in to get stuck.

any wider, and you could just zig zag your way back up. in rock climbing terms its literally called chimneying (or back and foot).

people who die in chimneys must be weak in addition to moronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

nomadologique posted:

do you thin his body got turned into jerky by the woodsmoke and lasted a few extra years before going skeletal?

the cabin was abandoned for three years before he got stuck in its chimney

just as ren and stimpy's RCMP song said, "and our bones were bleached in the sun"

• Locked thread