Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

ArtIsResistance posted:

so uh serious question what's the purpose of slutwalks? seems like an excuse to get naked in public and i am down like a clown w/ that

It's supposed to help destigmatize the word "slut" and the culture of "slutshaming" in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArtIsResistance posted:

so uh serious question what's the purpose of slutwalks? seems like an excuse to get naked in public and i am down like a clown w/ that

there's a few reasons, one is what smelly bohemian said another is to make a point that women should be able to dress however the gently caress they want and not be blamed for 'asking for it' if someone rapes them

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Smelly Bohemian posted:

It's supposed to help destigmatize the word "slut" and the culture of "slutshaming" in general.

uhhh if they want to destigmatize the word shouldn't they walk around in business suits and doctor coats and call themselves sluts instead of walking around naked and calling themselves sluts? seem like a bunch of dumb-o's to me

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
*man after seeing street after street of naked women*
hmm perhaps I was wrong about my misogynistic language

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

ArtIsResistance posted:

uhhh if they want to destigmatize the word shouldn't they walk around in business suits and doctor coats and call themselves sluts instead of walking around naked and calling themselves sluts? seem like a bunch of dumb-o's to me

Or perhaps a niqab would give them the respect they desire.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

there's a few reasons, one is what smelly bohemian said another is to make a point that women should be able to dress however the gently caress they want and not be blamed for 'asking for it' if someone rapes them
seems VERY haram, can we get a local 'slam to weigh in on this?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
yeah pretty sure the takeaway from a gay pride parade is wow these people are really gay

if somebody makes a diff connection from slutwalk they aren't your target audience

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

How come there's always this direct relationship at these events between how attractive a girl is and how much clothes she wears. Like the hot ones seem okay with covering up but big ol gut and tube sock tits is wearing nothing but pasties.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Slut Lover Here, I support Sluts.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

How come there's always this direct relationship at these events between how attractive a girl is and how much clothes she wears. Like the hot ones seem okay with covering up but big ol gut and tube sock tits is wearing nothing but pasties.

hot ones are probably in less need of validation about their bodies from random people

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I get that a major point of this is 'women should be allowed to wear what they want and not get raped' but don't the stats already point to that being a debunked myth? There's the whole conservative narrative that women shouldn't dress provocatively because it will attract unwanted attention but I could have sworn I read somewhere that clothing wasn't actually a statistically relevant factor in who gets raped in the first place.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Sounds like a great place to meet women :D

never stick your dick in crazy op

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

ArbitraryC posted:

It's like Murphy's Law of nudity; the people who most want to be naked are the ones you least want to see naked.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

ArbitraryC posted:

I get that a major point of this is 'women should be allowed to wear what they want and not get raped' but don't the stats already point to that being a debunked myth? There's the whole conservative narrative that women shouldn't dress provocatively because it will attract unwanted attention but I could have sworn I read somewhere that clothing wasn't actually a statistically relevant factor in who gets raped in the first place.

im pretty sure the majority of crimes aren't committed by strangers

also its pretty sad when your own writing skills sabotage the point you are trying to make:

CNN Twitter Quote posted:

Stop shaming women for ... their choices

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phobic Nest posted:

It's like Murphy's Law of nudity; the people who most want to be naked are the ones you least want to see naked.

muffin top is in public

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

It's statistically relevant to victim blaming, though, which is what these marches are trying to combat.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

ArbitraryC posted:

Statistics have nothing to do with the narrative mainstream media runs with so...

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
She definitely doesn't have any issues or anything like that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Yeah that's my point, there aren't bush rapists getting turned on by mini skirts or something. Implying it's partly someone's fault they got raped because of what they were wearing is obviously morally repugnant victim blaming, but beyond that it's not even a factor in the first place. You're not any more likely to get raped by being scantily clad it's just a commonly believed myth that fits in with some people's just world fallacy. It seems kinda weird to me to have a protest about something that's not actually a real problem, it almost seems like slutwalks encourage people to believe the myth.

e: Like I agree with the message don't get me wrong, I just feel like answering "well what was she wearing" criticism with "statistically you're just as likely to get raped wearing a frumpy sweater because most rapists know their victim in advance and it has nothing to do with what they were wearing at the time" is better than "it shouldn't matter what she's wearing" because even though the latter is 100% true there's still going to be people out there who don't think pointing out that the only reason a house got robbed was because the front door was left unlocked is victim blaming. I think the only things slutwalks really do is preach to the choir, it's not going to convince the people that are looking at the issue the wrong way in the first place.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 5, 2015

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

Moridin920 posted:

hot ones are probably in less need of validation about their bodies from random people
fuckin lol

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah that's my point, there aren't bush rapists getting turned on by mini skirts or something. Implying it's partly someone's fault they got raped because of what they were wearing is obviously morally repugnant victim blaming, but beyond that it's not even a factor in the first place. You're not any more likely to get raped by being scantily clad it's just a commonly believed myth that fits in with some people's just world fallacy. It seems kinda weird to me to have a protest about something that's not actually a real problem, it almost seems like slutwalks encourage people to believe the myth.

yes i agree

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I've been really horned up lately. Dreams of naked women and every day morning wood. Something is amiss in the constellations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
yet to see a hot slut pic itt

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

also its pretty sad when your own writing skills sabotage the point you are trying to make:

Let the SLUTS ... wear what they want!!!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

El Boot posted:

fuckin lol

Don't misunderstand; they still need validation (probably more so) but just not from randoms - from people they themselves think are attractive. A bunch of dudes on the street corner they don't give a poo poo about.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ArbitraryC posted:

e: Like I agree with the message don't get me wrong, I just feel like answering "well what was she wearing" criticism with "statistically you're just as likely to get raped wearing a frumpy sweater because most rapists know their victim in advance and it has nothing to do with what they were wearing at the time" is better than "it shouldn't matter what she's wearing" because even though the latter is 100% true there's still going to be people out there who don't think pointing out that the only reason a house got robbed was because the front door was left unlocked is victim blaming. I think the only things slutwalks really do is preach to the choir, it's not going to convince the people that are looking at the issue the wrong way in the first place.

Classic arbitrary c post right here

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
lol you can either be slutty or have honor, not both.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
hey im a coke head lieing loose rear end that has abortions as frequently as i go to the salon, respect me.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

afeelgoodpoop posted:

lol you can either be slutty or have honor, not both.

Women know honor through their love. Therefore sluts have the most honor.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

where's herpeswalk!?!? stop dirty dick shaming

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
mods pls rename me dirty dick shamus

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it's terrible these sluts can't even afford a decent shirt. Maybe like a windbreaker that zips down to perfectly in the middle of the cleavage, or just a classic flannel or a funny t-shirt with butts on it or something.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

a dog from hell posted:

I've been really horned up lately. Dreams of naked women and every day morning wood. Something is amiss in the constellations.

i had a dream last night that i died in a swamp and my funeral was held at the swamp and my friends and fam had to drag my corpse out of the swamp and light it on fire and i was there chillin at my own funeral as a blue jedi ghost just sheddin lil teardrops with my pals over my sad swamp death

your dreams sound way better tbh

well maybe not way better but still a lil bit better

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Gatekeeper posted:

i had a dream last night that i died in a swamp and my funeral was held at the swamp and my friends and fam had to drag my corpse out of the swamp and light it on fire and i was there chillin at my own funeral as a blue jedi ghost just sheddin lil teardrops with my pals over my sad swamp death

your dreams sound way better tbh

well maybe not way better but still a lil bit better

I've had those weird dreams but this week is consistently recurring old flames and naked women.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Holy poo poo shut up moron

it's literally because cops and pundits are always saying that women get raped because they're inviting it with their clothing

hence a parade to combat that idea.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

it's literally because cops and pundits are always saying that women get raped because they're inviting it with their clothing

You're the bigger moron. The parade is a stupid idea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a dog from hell posted:

You're the bigger moron. The parade is a stupid idea.

how can naked ladies marching be stupid?

i think you're loving stupid

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Toadvine posted:

it validates a myth that people get raped because of what they wear

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

it validates a myth that people get raped because of what they wear

what fool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009