Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quote:

Nine suspects are being pursued after they launched a coordinated knife attack and killed 50 workers at a northwestern Chinese coal mine, reports Radio Free Asia.

The incident occurred on September 18 in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. The attackers are alleged to be Uyghur separatists.

After overtaking security guards, the attackers killed the workers while they were asleep in bunkhouses at the Sogan colliery in Aksu. Another 50 workers were injured. The suspects are believed to be hiding in a nearby mountain ravine where a manhunt operation is underway.

Most of the victims were Han Chinese.

The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region suffers from discord due to ethnic fault lines. Uyghurs identify more closely with Central Asian nations. The area was independent up to 1949 when it became part of China. China has been asserting is control over the area with more westward migration and a heavier military presence.

Information about the attack is being guarded by officials:

“The damage of the attack was very severe—that is why we are controlling [the flow of] information about the incident so strictly, lest we frighten Han migrants in Aksu,” said the cadre, speaking on condition of anonymity.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/06/us-china-attack-idUSKBN0M206720150306
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/asia/china-railway-attack/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/11/us-china-knife-attack-idUSKCN0PL07820150711

With fifty dead in this lethal knifing attack, and more than a year since a knifing incident that killed 29 people and injured 120, why doesn't the Chinese government take steps to ban the fabrication and sale of knives to civilians? I know some of you will go "this wouldn't happen if the victims had knives themselves" :rolleyes:. Grow up. Are you in the payroll of the Asian Knife Assiociation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nothing will stop the restoration of the ughyr khaganate.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I propose restrictions against long blades and high-capacity blade sheathes.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/06/us-china-attack-idUSKBN0M206720150306
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/asia/china-railway-attack/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/11/us-china-knife-attack-idUSKCN0PL07820150711

With fifty dead in this lethal knifing attack, and more than a year since a knifing incident that killed 29 people and injured 120, why doesn't the Chinese government take steps to ban the fabrication and sale of knives to civilians? I know some of you will go "this wouldn't happen if the victims had knives themselves" :rolleyes:. Grow up. Are you in the payroll of the Asian Knife Assiociation?

You're dumb as hell.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the english banned knives and now they live in a dystopic hellhole

though to be fair it was like that before they banned knives too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the muslim state of Birmingham we must grind our food into smaller pieces with blunt rocks.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Imo there is no need for anyone to own a knife in china, chopsticks are a perfectly safe alternative (provided both ends are kept blunt and the chopstick is made out of less-sturdy wood), I don't see why anyone would need a knife, even to go hunting - they have farms and can adopt a vegetarian diet. A knife is a weapon made to kill and tear at flesh after all. Plus, just look overseas - after the UK did its various anti-knife-violence campaigns like "No Knives, Better Lives" http://noknivesbetterlives.com/ and "Save a Life, Surrender Your Knife" http://surrenderyourknife.co.uk/, there have been 0 incidents of mass stabbings since. Fact is, knife control works.

At the very least, before purchasing a knife you should have a mandatory knife-safety training, a background check, and a mental health screening, following by a knife purchase waiting period, so we know that you are not buying it to slit your wrists and suicide. I think responsible knife ownership is possible, but the fact that anyone can just walk into a store and buy a killing weapon right now is absurd - if we don't want tragedies like knife murders and knife suicides, we need to stop the outrage and just pass knife control legislation.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 5, 2015

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Because knives are less inherently dangerous than firearms, have a legitimate reason for widespread ownership, and do not actively make society worse. I hope this has clarified this obvious matter to the standards of a sniveling toy-obsessed cretin, OP

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
There's nothing a knife can do that also can't be done with the correct firearm, ban knives and make small arsenals mandatory imo

e: also because lol china

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tezzor posted:

Because knives are less inherently dangerous than firearms, have a legitimate reason for widespread ownership, and do not actively make society worse. I hope this has clarified this obvious matter to the standards of a sniveling toy-obsessed cretin, OP

Whoa! Easy there, killer.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Banning or requiring some type of vetting process for certain types of knives like "combat knives" with assisted open features, knives over 8" long (no machetes in the streets, thanks), and other arms is smart. A lot of people buying these types of knives are buying them as toys or penis supplements, lets be honest here. Simple fact is, most people just don't need a sharp or pointy knife, and those that do professionally should be certified, trained, and registered.

We don't let people walk around with swords. Why do we let them walk around with knives? Knife control is sensible and all the people clinging to their knives are just buffoons and bumpkins.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Laphroaig posted:

Banning or requiring some type of vetting process for certain types of knives like "combat knives" with assisted open features, knives over 8" long (no machetes in the streets, thanks), and other arms is smart. A lot of people buying these types of knives are buying them as toys or penis supplements, lets be honest here. Simple fact is, most people just don't need a sharp or pointy knife, and those that do professionally should be certified, trained, and registered.

We don't let people walk around with swords. Why do we let them walk around with knives? Knife control is sensible and all the people clinging to their knives are just buffoons and bumpkins.

Basically correct, yes. We shouldn't let people walk around with things specifically designed to be weapons and people who whine about it are largely bumpkins and buffoons

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Laphroaig posted:

honestly people carrying knives around are sort of buffoons and bumpkins yeah

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
when i see someone carrying a big belt knife my impression of that person is "i'm enough of a coward to carry a weapon for self defense, but too much of a coward to carry a gun"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tezzor posted:

I don't like guns either, Tezzor. I think being disingenuous and aggressive like that isn't good. I'd be afraid if you had access to knives.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's be a lot simpler to just ban Uighurs.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Don't worry, China's been working on that too!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

honestly people carrying knives around are sort of buffoons and bumpkins yeah

Thank you. Plus, you attach a knife to a stick, and suddenly, you have either a spear or an arrow, both of which are incredibly deadly. During the Three Kingdoms War and the Mongol Conquests, a combined 76,000,000 (conservative estimate) to 110,000,000 (more generous estimate) people died as a direct result of that conflict. The weapons of choice? The spear and the arrow, both just knife modifications. China has a long history of death in wars due to that tool. Why is a military weapon on the streets of a civilized country? Who carries knives around in China and other Asian nations? Primarily gangsters and gangs.

Currently, you CAN be arrested and imprisoned for carrying a knife in China (I just checked) so I am glad that the Chinese, with their 5,000 years of wisdom in running a harmonious society, are making the right steps already, but they need to go further if they want to stop the knife violence and knife murders.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Laphroaig posted:

Thank you. Plus, you attach a knife to a stick, and suddenly, you have either a spear or an arrow, both of which are incredibly deadly. During the Three Kingdoms War and the Mongol Conquests, a combined 76,000,000 (conservative estimate) to 110,000,000 (more generous estimate) people died as a direct result of that conflict. The weapons of choice? The spear and the arrow, both just knife modifications. China has a long history of death in wars due to that tool. Why is a military weapon on the streets of a civilized country? Who carries knives around in China and other Asian nations? Primarily gangsters and gangs.

Currently, you CAN be arrested and imprisoned for carrying a knife in China (I just checked) so I am glad that the Chinese, with their 5,000 years of wisdom in running a harmonious society, are making the right steps already, but they need to go further if they want to stop the knife violence and knife murders.

This is the good poo poo my man. Laughing my rear end off in the aisles here.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Ok?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
suicide by knife is way more badass than suicide by gun anyway, too many american veterans take the coward's way out

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A Good Thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Laphroaig posted:

We don't let people walk around with swords.

I've always felt this is a pretty obvious Second Amendment violation. As long as it ain't concealed I should be allowed to carry around a claymore.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Popular Thug Drink posted:

suicide by knife is way more badass than suicide by gun anyway, too many american veterans take the coward's way out

Actually a lot of media glorifies and encourages suicide by Exsanguination, I think its a real cultural problem.

For example:

Part of the Problem posted:

Juliet: O happy dagger! [Takes Romeo's dagger.]
This is thy sheath. [Stabs herself.]
There rust, and let me die. [Falls on Romeo's body and dies.]
– Romeo and Juliet, Act V, Scene III

Child-lovers choosing to suicide, glorified for all time as a monumental work of art?

Part of the Solution posted:

Ban This Sick Filth

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
As everyone is in agreement, I propose we move to the closing statements.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Laphroaig posted:

Child-lovers choosing to suicide, glorified for all time as a monumental work of art?

so you're saying you don't want to ban child-lovers? have you considered applying to be a SA mod?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm glad OP could take a horrible tragedy and turn it into some nonsense American political slapfight.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've always felt this is a pretty obvious Second Amendment violation. As long as it ain't concealed I should be allowed to carry around a claymore.

First they came for the Katanas, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a BudK Katana buying Weaboo.

Then they came for the Claymores, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not William Wallance.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me, because the only weapons left were tactical black 440 carbon steel tanto-knife blades, and the badass ninjas (practioners of ninjutsu, which is the Japanese word for ninja) who own them are under a vow of silence.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China has a billion sick people, you may as well consider the whole population ill, because there is no way to predict who out of every 1000 people will attack grammar school children.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

theyre in the slender mansion now

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I think something needs to be done about all these fully automatic knives. The majority of them can be used to stab multiple people with a single touch of the handle. Perhaps we could ban all knives, but permit properly trained law enforcement officers to use single-use knives that fall out of their hands after being used and have to be picked up again. The military could use semi-automatic knives, which would have a cord tied to them so they wouldn't fall all the way to the ground before being touched again.
And why are knives infinity capacity weapons? If you use a knife once the blade should fall off. People should only be able to carry 2 replacement blades at a time. They would have to replace each blade manually of course.
And no assault (black handled) knives. Wooden or marshmallow handles only.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

joat mon posted:

I think something needs to be done about all these fully automatic knives. The majority of them can be used to stab multiple people with a single touch of the handle. Perhaps we could ban all knives, but permit properly trained law enforcement officers to use single-use knives that fall out of their hands after being used and have to be picked up again. The military could use semi-automatic knives, which would have a cord tied to them so they wouldn't fall all the way to the ground before being touched again.
And why are knives infinity capacity weapons? If you use a knife once the blade should fall off. People should only be able to carry 2 replacement blades at a time. They would have to replace each blade manually of course.
And no assault (black handled) knives. Wooden or marshmallow handles only.

trying too hard to be edgy, failed

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, imagine the deathtoll if they had guns. Good thing China doesn't have America's insanely loose gun laws.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

trying too hard to be edgy, failed

To be fair, it's hard to moderate the amount of force used if your knives have neither point nor edge.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If knives are just as good as guns, it makes you wonder why gun freaks don't just carry knives. Considering that they're just as effective, and all.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
checkmate gunailures

:epicwin:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
A knife is only as dangerous as the person using it. Just like a gun.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

Whoa. A little touchy about guns aren't we tezzor?

This is the KNIFE thread. If you want to talk about guns, make a thread. Not everything is about you.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Radbot posted:

If knives are just as good as guns, it makes you wonder why gun freaks don't just carry knives. Considering that they're just as effective, and all.

Different tool for the job. When I'm hunting for example, I'll carry my field knife with me. It's nothing fancy, but it is incredibly useful. Just because some people misuse tools doesn't mean the tools shouldn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
You can choke someone to death, we should probably chop everyone's hands off.

• Locked thread