Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tezzor posted:

Banning assault weapons accomplishes three things. One: it fucks with gun fanboys, who are whining scum. Two: it very slightly decreases gun sales by slightly disrupting that part of the gun fanboy culture based around buying superfluous weapons because they Look Badass. Three: many mass shooters are in that culture.

i can't believe you'd steep so low as to declare gun fanboi culture poo poo and worthy of eradication, it would be much more tolerant to instead help wider society understand the mysterious way of the gun fanboi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wiregrind posted:

you could just advocate for voluntary euthanasia and also ban guns; letting white people die by their own will and protecting victims of shootings at the same time

excuse me, have you ever heard of the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution? obviously not. look it up

so long as suicides by firearm outnumber homicides by firearm the gun control issue is mainly about people willingly choosing to end their own lives, which i can't argue against so long as they don't murder too many family members, friends, classmates, etc. before turning the gun on themselves

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's a big problem, fat white dudes in the South who lost their $20/hr job shuffling papers deciding to kill their entire family and burn the house down because the alternative, owning up to you being a pathetic loser, is just too much to take.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that guns are the most popular in areas where people are doing the worst.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

A pathetic loser acceptance campaign would save lives.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Prav posted:

A pathetic loser acceptance campaign would save lives.

yeah but the NRA is rabidly opposed to it

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah but the NRA is rabidly opposed to it

Which is odd given there's a huge overlap between the two.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think the reason why nerds, lardasses and inbreds like guns so much is that it allows Darwinian also-rans like themselves to kill things, where before the hunt went to the swift and the fight to the strong. Guns are basically giant chains placed by the Handicapper General on all of humanity

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

That's a big problem, fat white dudes in the South who lost their $20/hr job shuffling papers deciding to kill their entire family and burn the house down because the alternative, owning up to you being a pathetic loser, is just too much to take.

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that guns are the most popular in areas where people are doing the worst.

When has this fantasy you have actually happened at all? Like 99% of mass shootings in recent years have been high school students who generally couldn't legally own guns anyways.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Troika- posted:

When has this fantasy you have actually happened at all? Like 99% of mass shootings in recent years have been high school students who generally couldn't legally own guns anyways.

Not accurate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

99%, less than half, same difference

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

dudes who murder suicide their whole family often aren't reported, it isn't high profile enough and even the gun freaks can't find a way to construe a dude icing his kids with a pistol as a good thing

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

99%, less than half, same difference

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html

dudes who murder suicide their whole family often aren't reported, it isn't high profile enough and even the gun freaks can't find a way to construe a dude icing his kids with a pistol as a good thing

It's actually less than "less than half" because he said they were almost all high school students and even the dudes on this list who weren't supposed to have guns weren't high school students

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Makes you think.

Share if you agree.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crabcakes66 posted:

Makes you think.

Share if you agree.

i agree, i should be able to buy ANFO fertilizer without ending up on a million watchlists just in case i need to defend a school from being full of children. 2nd amendment

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://gawker.com/woman-with-concealed-carry-license-shoots-at-home-depot-1735284267

quote:

A woman with a gun and a concealed-carry license opened fire on a shoplifter Tuesday afternoon as security chased the man out of an Auburn Hills, Mich. Home Depot, the Detroit Free Press reports. No one appeared to be injured, and the shooter is cooperating with police.

According to police, the shoplifting suspect, a man in his 40s, ran out of the store with security giving chase. He jumped into a dark-colored SUV driven by a second male suspect. As the SUV began to pull away, the 48-year-old woman fired an undetermined number of rounds from her 9mm pistol. Police say the vehicle got away, but may have a flat tire.

The two shoplifters allegedly made off with more than $1,000 of power tools and welding equipment.

The incident took place in what the Free Press describes as “part of a retail district with hundreds of stores in the area.”

“There were a lot of people in the area where she was firing shots,” adds local news station WXYZ.

Thanks for shooting multiple times in a crowded area to try to save a meager amount of a chain retailer's stuff, noble CCW paladin. You may have failed but it was the total lack of thought that counted

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

-Troika- posted:

lol here are two examples from the last week or so

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/09/22/officials-south-dakota-man-killed-wife-4-kids-then-himself
http://theadvocate.com/news/13568467-123/eunice-mother-shoots-daughters-sets

I wonder why Tim McVeigh used a bomb? Didn't he know he would have been just as deadly with a rock or knife?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
my favorite part of Civilization games is when I research "knives" and get rid of those useless guns and replace them with knives

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

crabcakes66 posted:

Makes you think.

Share if you agree.

Though hilariously he might not have been arrested if he wasn't literally open carrying a pistol in a shoulder holster over a "water the tree of liberty" t-shirt

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

my favorite part of Civilization games is when I research "knives" and get rid of those useless guns and replace them with knives

Civilization proves that a legionnaire is as dangerous as a tank.

And oh boy if he's fortified.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://jacobbacharach.com/2015/10/08/rare-arms/

quote:

Rare Arms

Second Amendment jurisprudence is high on the list of the great national embarrassments foisted upon us by our embarrassing federal judiciary, who continually accept the ahistorical interpretations of people who actually claim that a Constitutional government enshrines the right to armed insurrection against itself. Not even the framers, who had actually and recently fought in a revolution, imagined it meant such a thing, but here we are. America’s quasi-religious fetish for its own Constitution is in any event a strange national obsession. The Constitution is a hash of archaic bylaws whose principal strength is that it’s so vague and badly worded that it can mean whatever we need it to mean at any given time. “A well regulated…”

Well, gun advocates have done nothing if not given us a pithy slogan expressing exactly how incoherent they are: guns don’t kill people; people kill people. This is like saying cars don’t drive on roads or hammers don’t pound in nails. That a tool requires an operator to do its work begs the question. Guns were made to kill things, people chiefly among them. They’re a very good tool for this purpose. It’s possible to nail wood together without a hammer, but much easier with one; it’s possible to commute 30 miles to work without an internal combustion vehicle, but not easy; it’s possible to kill a whole lot of people all at once without a gun, but crossbows and broadswords do lack individual efficiency. Guns are machines for killing, and they kill a lot of people.

Refocusing from the implement to the actor also lends itself to our current absurd scapegoating, in which “mental illness,” never specifically defined, becomes a legitimate target for legislative intervention; Congresscreatures publicly imagine they can legislate sanity, and yet they can’t conceive regulating the purchase and ownership of an industrial product. How a nation that requires a $25 co-pay for a blood pressure and reflex test that you have to wait five months to book intends to provide universal, ongoing, robust psychological care to its 300 million souls, many millions of whom don’t have sufficient insurance and are therefore on the hook for more like $150 if they ever want to visit a regular old doctor, is unclear. Meanwhile, much of the gun violence in the country—not the mass shootings of white people that make the news, but the daily killings of one here, two there in places like Chicago—isn’t a question of mental health, not as the gun debate defines it anyway.

But. There is a kind of moral credulousness on the part of the Nice Liberal critics of our national gun culture, and there’s something intolerably amoral about a politician like Barack Obama assuming a pose of high moral dudgeon to snipe at conservative gun rights advocates while he presides over, among other atrocities, the bombing of a neutral hospital—literally, a war crime. (And the bombing of the MSF hospital is just one war crime among many; we just happen to note it because its victims are Western, professional, media-savvy, and English-fluent.) This isn’t cheap whataboutism; if you ask how we can be such a violent society and exclude sixty years of uninterrupted global warfare from your analysis, then your crass factionalism is showing.

It’s true: blaming domestic gun deaths on America’s violent, aggressive imperialism is a little like blaming it on mental illness; it identifies an approximate rather than a proximate cause and spins its wheels wildly away from a practical mechanism for mitigating the problem here and now. I do, however, wish that those who advocate for stricter gun control in this country would evince a more convincing and universal pacifism, rather than crying out in passionate horror each time some nut shoots up an elementary school but merely regretting each time their president blows one up.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Huh. If laws have no meaning or applicability, by what method are the enlightened going to return us to the universal pacifism that existed from the dawn of time to 1954? Force?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

People do get mad when the US bombs hospitals, it's just that they're decried as shrill or America haters if they talk about it.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

joat mon posted:

Huh. If laws have no meaning or applicability, by what method are the enlightened going to return us to the universal pacifism that existed from the dawn of time to 1954? Force?

What are you talking about

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Tezzor posted:

What are you talking about

Second Amendment jurisprudence is high on the list of the great national embarrassments foisted upon us by our embarrassing federal judiciary, who continually accept the ahistorical interpretations of people who actually claim that a Constitutional government enshrines the right to armed insurrection against itself. Not even the framers, who had actually and recently fought in a revolution, imagined it meant such a thing, but here we are. America’s quasi-religious fetish for its own Constitution is in any event a strange national obsession. The Constitution is a hash of archaic bylaws whose principal strength is that it’s so vague and badly worded that it can mean whatever we need it to mean at any given time. “A well regulated…”
tl;dr: Laws (that I know nothing about, but disagree with anyway) have no meaning or applicability (except as I choose to understand them)

This kind of thinking is very intriguing. It's very...religious: "My belief requires a certain conclusion. Therefore I declare the facts to fit my conclusion." E.g., The founding fathers were Dominionist Christians because I am a Dominionist Christian.

if you ask how we can be such a violent society and exclude sixty years of uninterrupted global warfare from your analysis...convincing and universal pacifism
tl;dr: return us to the universal pacifism that existed from the dawn of time to 1954

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The US Constitution, by not differentiating between legitimate rebellion and illegitimate insurrection (of which only the latter term appears in the Constitution proper), clearly cannot provide a right to overthrow the government, and neither case law nor organic laws offer anything either. Quite simply, the very idea is a stupid fabrication given life by sheer foolishness.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon posted:

Why, force, of course, the same as they ever use.

joat mon posted:

This kind of thinking is very intriguing. It's very...religious: "My belief requires a certain conclusion. Therefore I declare the facts to fit my conclusion."

:ironicat:

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

:ironicat:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Another school shooting today! Less than a week since the last one. One dead, three injured. But your toy availability is the only important thing.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Tezzor posted:

Another school shooting today! Less than a week since the last one. One dead, three injured. But your toy availability is the only important thing.

But see it wasn't a mass shooting because only one person died so nothing to see here

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Tree of liberty was looking a bit dry, needed some more college kid blood, America thanks for them for the sacrifice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

But see it wasn't a mass shooting because only one person died so nothing to see here

technically true~

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just prepping them up for the army.

If they can get that PTSD going early, it'll give them an edge over other soldiers who didn't have to dodge bullets on the way to gym class.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Also, most people seem to care far less about a dispute between young men on the street turning deadly than they do about someone deliberately and methodically executing students in a classroom.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Your silence about all the shootings in between the ones you care about speaks volumes.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

If we were to post about and discuss every shooting that occurs in the United States every day this thread would reach a critical mass and turn into a black hole

Hopefully all the gun nuts would be trapped inside and never post anywhere else

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How many crap threads are there?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Your silence about all the shootings in between the ones you care about speaks volumes.
Jeez SedanChair give it a rest! Nobody cares when black people get killed!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

If we were to post about and discuss every shooting that occurs in the United States every day this thread would reach a critical mass and turn into a black hole

Hopefully all the gun nuts would be trapped inside and never post anywhere else

some dumb loving gun nut accidentally shot a family member

didn't even check the news because statistically you know it happens daily in freedomerica

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

excuse me, have you ever heard of the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution? obviously not. look it up

so long as suicides by firearm outnumber homicides by firearm the gun control issue is mainly about people willingly choosing to end their own lives, which i can't argue against so long as they don't murder too many family members, friends, classmates, etc. before turning the gun on themselves

I can't really find a problem with this logic and at the very least, it's consistent. Good Job!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tezzor posted:

Is your trigger word school? 1 dude was killed by another dude during a fight, so?

Look at this, german police killed someone, WITH A GUN!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34284044

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

Actually I have consistently taken the position that mass shootings, as only a small percentage of gun homicide, are not the primary reason we must restrict gun availability. The real question is why you think your toys are more important than this.

• Locked thread