Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What kind of person asks for a read receipt on their emails? I mean seriously, what kind of loser must you be? I always select the box to not notify them that I have read their message, because gently caress them. I also make a mental note that the person must be a needy little bitch and then I ignore them for excessive periods of time.

Am I the only one who feels this way and responds in a juvenile, passive-aggressive manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Same op. Same.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The onnly thing Tom Brady reads .... are his recievers!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've never gotten an email that's had one of these. I think it's an ok idea if you want to be able to check if someone read your email or not. Like if they didn't do the thing then you can assume that they don't have the information that was in it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Oberleutnant posted:

Same op. Same.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is why i only use the app LINE

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
like most things, there are appropriate uses and inappropriate uses, I hope this helps your understanding of the nuanced world of human communications op

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've never gotten an email that's had one of these. I think it's an ok idea if you want to be able to check if someone read your email or not. Like if they didn't do the thing then you can assume that they don't have the information that was in it.

you can choose not to send the receipt when you read it so its dumb. same with cc'ing your self on outbound emails.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

after careful consideration, i've decided to award my heiny "smelliest body part - 2015" with honourable mention to my feet and belly button

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
Just replying to let you know I read the OP...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have now responded to every email in my inbox except for Mrs. Read Receipt. Take that, lady!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I have emails requesting a read receipt go straight to the trash

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

OctoberBlues posted:

What kind of person asks for a read receipt on their emails? I mean seriously, what kind of loser must you be? I always select the box to not notify them that I have read their message, because gently caress them. I also make a mental note that the person must be a needy little bitch and then I ignore them for excessive periods of time.

Am I the only one who feels this way and responds in a juvenile, passive-aggressive manner?

qft

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Like all modern computer technology, these are concessions to 2nd wave millennials who may break down in uncontrolled fits if they don't receive constant validation and reassurance.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i want to know my email got read. i want to know that i matter to someone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

rabble rabble posted:

like most things, there are appropriate uses and inappropriate uses, I hope this helps your understanding of the nuanced world of human communications op

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

notZaar posted:

Like all modern computer technology, these are concessions to 2nd wave millennials who may break down in uncontrolled fits if they don't receive constant validation and reassurance.

Nah, it's always dumb old people who do it.

EDIT:

Millenials are unemployable.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i attach a small quiz to my emails to verify the recipient's understanding of the information contained therein

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Probably someone who has an administrative job where they are supposed to make sure certain people get certain information and if they don't they get reamed. At least that's who uses the read receipt at my work.

Aside from "who has read my e-mail", I assume the functionality is there so that the recipient doesn't feel like they have to send an e-mail that's basically just an acknowledgement. Which doesn't work for exactly the reasons you posted OP.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Saga posted:

Probably someone who has an administrative job where they are supposed to make sure certain people get certain information and if they don't they get reamed. At least that's who uses the read receipt at my work.

Aside from "who has read my e-mail", I assume the functionality is there so that the recipient doesn't feel like they have to send an e-mail that's basically just an acknowledgement. Which doesn't work for exactly the reasons you posted OP.

Dear colleague
many thanks for the spreadsheet of dick sizes in accounting.
yours, oberleutnant

I mean is that just too loving social for the autistic spergs who populate the modern workforce and can only communicate via impersonal machine beeps so as not to have an episode

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nooner posted:

The onnly thing Tom Brady reads .... are his recievers!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Sorry boss but the thought of writing a email of acknowledment to our client is giving me a panic attack its extremely triggering to me

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

I have now responded to every email in my inbox except for Mrs. Read Receipt. Take that, lady!

Correct response. I also always check the box to never send the stupid read receipts. Bitch, you'll know I read your email when you see that I did something about it. Picking that option or sending it as high priority does absolutely nothing to change when I was going to do anything.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Nah, it's always dumb old people who do it.

EDIT:

Millenials are unemployable.

Me and lots of my coworkers are employed millennial, but that's because we didn't waste four years of our lives going into debt for a liberal arts degree.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
can i put a read receipt on my posts

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

notZaar posted:

it is actually 100% of the time an obese middle aged woman with hair that always looks wet somehow who will unironically say "case of the mondays" at least four times a week

100% of the time

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

jackyl posted:

can i put a read receipt on my posts

looks like you'll never be the head of a major corporation

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

notZaar posted:

Me and lots of my coworkers are employed millennial, but that's because we didn't waste four years of our lives going into debt for a liberal arts degree.

liberal arts? more like minimal farts because all you are going to learn is to stop farting so much ho ho ho ho

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Read Receipt is great when I need lazy chucklefucks to get off their rear end for 30 seconds to send me some lovely report so I can check a box and get other douchebags off my rear end because my life and professional career is a loving office drone where I sell the best part of my day and life for a dismal paycheck and some even shittier health insurance because this is whatever our coked out overlords decided is how slavery in the modern world should be.

What's super lovely is when it's a read receipt with 20 different managers attached.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Read Receipt is great when I need lazy chucklefucks to get off their rear end for 30 seconds to send me some lovely report so I can check a box and get other douchebags off my rear end because my life and professional career is a loving office drone where I sell the best part of my day and life for a dismal paycheck and some even shittier health insurance because this is whatever our coked out overlords decided is how slavery in the modern world should be.

What's super lovely is when it's a read receipt with 20 different managers attached.

Yeah, some idiot just sent me a read receipt email and it's an email he sent to his entire address book. What a fuckjob.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Hey, you know what else pisses me off? When someone calls you and you don't answer for whatever reason - on the phone, in the bathroom, ignoring your phone, etc - and then instead of leaving a message or calling back 15 minutes later, they hang up and immediately call back. What the gently caress do you think I was doing three seconds ago that I wouldn't be doing now? I had one guy do this 4 times in a row. I called him back at like 7 PM when I knew he wouldn't answer and left a very friendly message. Ignored his call the next day, haha.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I added "Read Receipt", "FWD" and "ASAP" to my spam filter ages ago. A++ would do again

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

Hey, you know what else pisses me off? When someone calls you and you don't answer for whatever reason - on the phone, in the bathroom, ignoring your phone, etc - and then instead of leaving a message or calling back 15 minutes later, they hang up and immediately call back. What the gently caress do you think I was doing three seconds ago that I wouldn't be doing now? I had one guy do this 4 times in a row. I called him back at like 7 PM when I knew he wouldn't answer and left a very friendly message. Ignored his call the next day, haha.

Double tap mother fucker

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Do you guys think Hermione from Harry potter ever said the n word guys?

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

Nooner posted:

Do you guys think Hermione from Harry potter ever said the n word guys?

yes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Oh, ok, thanks God bless

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I put a bunch of filters on my work email. I "get" about 4 emails a day. My diversion folder currently has over 1400 emails from the last week and that doesn't count the filters that straight-up delete mail as it shows up.

Also read receipts are dumb but I can tolerate them. What I hate is when I send someone an email asking them, say four questions (using bullet points ffs), and then they only answer the first one. Then it becomes a game where I reply with the remaining three questions and they answer another one.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

revmoo posted:

I put a bunch of filters on my work email. I "get" about 4 emails a day. My diversion folder currently has over 1400 emails from the last week and that doesn't count the filters that straight-up delete mail as it shows up.

Also read receipts are dumb but I can tolerate them. What I hate is when I send someone an email asking them, say four questions (using bullet points ffs), and then they only answer the first one. Then it becomes a game where I reply with the remaining three questions and they answer another one.

See, when people do stuff like that I just wait until the very end of the day to email them and then the next day I do the same thing and then it takes like a week longer to get things done and I have a nice paper trail showing I emailed every single day. :)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
When my accountant sends me e-mail about my taxes, she asks for a read receipt. Well, cya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

OctoberBlues posted:

See, when people do stuff like that I just wait until the very end of the day to email them and then the next day I do the same thing and then it takes like a week longer to get things done and I have a nice paper trail showing I emailed every single day. :)

I may have to borrow that technique.

• Locked thread