Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

yeah people tend to believe that when invading colonialists take your land by force they should be expelled by force

Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of history? Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of the last 500 years or so? Hint: it is more than one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

loquacius posted:

I don't see how that means we should root for them to kill civilians and/or win wars :confused:

XMNN posted:

its not hamas or israel theres another option and its caring about the millions of innocent palestinians who are living in an apartheid state which kidnaps tortures evicts thieves and murders at will

can u even read

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

loquacius posted:

If I try to kill you and my gun jams do I get off the murder rap then or what

If you came to my house, evicted me and then shot me for resisting, would my brother get a murder charge for attempting to assassinate you with a comedy cork-gun?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

yeah people tend to believe that when invading colonialists take your land by force they should be expelled by force

How's that expelling going? Not well, right? So they're just killing people for no benefit at this point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

XMNN posted:

can u even read

don't root for Hamas or an Intifada then because that'll just lead to more of them getting killed

Lilbeefer posted:

If you came to my house, evicted me and then shot me for resisting, would my brother get a murder charge for attempting to assassinate you with a comedy cork-gun?

yes :confused:

The analogy here isn't a comedy cork-gun, it's like a kitchen knife. It could absolutely kill me if the circumstances were correct, and he absolutely would get a murder charge for trying to kill me with it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

loquacius posted:

don't root for Hamas or an Intifada then because that'll just lead to more of them getting killed

XMNN posted:

can u even read

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ill give you a hint: i never said i supported hamas or another intifada in fact i said the opposite

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the palestinians should be polite and just wait for isreal to absorb all of their remaining land. only then, once it's "too late" to ever recover sovereignty can the negotiations begin. the international community promises to help once the violence stops, we promise, pinkey swear!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you're not rooting for Hamas or an Intifada I guess we don't actually have anything to argue about SO YEAH

I legitimately think the only way this conflict can ever deescalate in the slightest is if Netanyahu is killed or the opposition somehow manages to actually force him out and keep him out, and neither of those seems likely so the only thing we can do in the meantime is root against direct escalation

Hamas being forced out of their leadership role would help to make that happen but it's not likely to happen first

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

loquacius posted:

Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of history? Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of the last 500 years or so? Hint: it is more than one

do you realize that this argument is just The Blacks Owned Slaves Too

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I blame the British personally

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

i blame the ottomans, they really should have got their poo poo together for the modernity party

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

do you realize that this argument is just The Blacks Owned Slaves Too

the argument is "it's not meaningful to frame this narrative as the Israelis being 'colonialists' and the Palestinians being 'natives' because the word 'native' doesn't meaningfully apply to anyone currently living in this particular region" but unless you're rooting for an Intifada we're mostly disagreeing on semantics

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

this OTOH is always safe

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

I like that they make it sound like a weather event "potential intifada forming over the weekend"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Yeah last nights intifada has my rear end in a top hat on fire today

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

loquacius posted:

yes :confused:

The analogy here isn't a comedy cork-gun, it's like a kitchen knife. It could absolutely kill me if the circumstances were correct, and he absolutely would get a murder charge for trying to kill me with it.

We are getting dangerously close to GBS 1.0 here...

OK then, let me rephrase:
If you came to my house, evicted me and then shot me for resisting, called in some tanks to clear out my street, then called in a phosphorous strike on my neighborhood, then who the gently caress cares I probably deserved it.

DTI

Whoops that wasn't even a question

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

for some reason people think that each conquering empire in the levant replaced all the people that lived there with their own people rather than just taking over the top positions as happened everywhere else empires conquered (i think its to imply the palestinian ownership of their land is illegitimate so its ok if israelis test weapons on them)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how if I try to argue that an Intifada is counter-productive and rooting for Hamas because you are against killing civilians is stupid, that gets parsed into "I want to commit genocide and support all actions taken by the Israeli government because I lust for death"

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

loquacius posted:

I like how if I try to argue that an Intifada is counter-productive and rooting for Hamas because you are against killing civilians is stupid, that gets parsed into "I want to commit genocide and support all actions taken by the Israeli government because I lust for death"

That's actually fair enough.

Sorry

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

That's actually fair enough.

Sorry

Death To Lilbeefer

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Stop doxxing me

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

XMNN posted:

its not hamas or israel theres another option and its caring about the millions of innocent palestinians who are living in an apartheid state which kidnaps tortures evicts thieves and murders at will

hamas are bullshit and evil and also incidentally probably a product of the deliberate attempts to undermine and murder palestinian secular liberation movements by you guessed it the israelis

ur an idiot mate hth

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

loquacius posted:

the argument is "it's not meaningful to frame this narrative as the Israelis being 'colonialists' and the Palestinians being 'natives' because the word 'native' doesn't meaningfully apply to anyone currently living in this particular region" but unless you're rooting for an Intifada we're mostly disagreeing on semantics

yeah they're not natives because some of them are descended from people who came in 500 years ago. lol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
native americans: not really native since they immigrated here 40,000 years ago

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
this huoney pot thread will result in glorious bans

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

loquacius posted:

I want to commit genocide and support all actions taken by the Israeli government because I lust for death

Mods

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

yeah they're not natives because some of them are descended from people who came in 500 years ago. lol

Ok so if a white person is descended from a Mayflower settler are they now Native American? Is 400 years that significantly different from 500?

This is a stupid argument which means nothing and will accomplish nothing but I am yuppie scum still on my lunch break so I can indulge you

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

loquacius posted:

Ok so if a white person is descended from a Mayflower settler are they now Native American? Is 400 years that significantly different from 500?

This is a stupid argument which means nothing and will accomplish nothing but I am yuppie scum still on my lunch break so I can indulge you

they are native in comparison to the hypothetical chinese army that is attempting to expel them by force, yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

they are native in comparison to the hypothetical chinese army that is attempting to expel them by force, yes

Ok what if more or less the entirety of the hypothetical Chinese army had been born in America

e: to make it extra clear none of this matters in the slightest and is just pseudo-intellectual wankery because both of us are pseudo-intellectual wankers

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

lol a mohamed shanked another beardo in jerusalem

this is the headline 100 years from now when generation z is writing for the New Amsterdam Times on ChronoTwitter

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

loquacius posted:

Ok what if the entirety of the hypothetical Chinese army had been born in America

i would shed no tears if americans killed them, would you?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

loquacius posted:

Ok what if more or less the entirety of the hypothetical Chinese army had been born in America

Are u trying to rules lawyer israel out of responsibility for their ongoing apartheid against the palestinian people lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

i would shed no tears if americans killed them, would you?

You mean if Americans started just killing Chinese-American people regardless of whether they were in that army or not? Yeah, that would be bad even if the hypothetical army of Chinese-Americans was doing bad poo poo. Even if the army is bad, reprisal killings are still bad. Killing is bad and we should generally discourage it, that's my controversial opinion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Are u trying to rules lawyer israel out of responsibility for their ongoing apartheid against the palestinian people lol

no, I'm having a pseudo-intellectual wankfest with a fellow pseudo-intellectual wanker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
its black or white on this website loquacious, pick your side -or- make non sequitur remakrs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am anti-violent-escalation and pro-unsteady-maintenance-of-the-status-quo-until-we-can-get-leftist-government-elected-on-both-sides-but-mostly-in-Israel-at-which-point-real-change-can-occur because that's not perfect but it's the only way things won't get actively worse and have a shot at getting better

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

loquacius posted:

I am anti-violent-escalation and pro-unsteady-maintenance-of-the-status-quo-until-we-can-get-leftist-government-elected-on-both-sides-but-mostly-in-Israel-at-which-point-real-change-can-occur because that's not perfect but it's the only way things won't get actively worse and have a shot at getting better

Martinlutherkingwhitemoderatespeech.rtf

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
INFANTada you say ??? Color my avatar interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

therattle posted:

It must be nice to have such a simple, black-and-white view of things. Saves you from having to do any of that awkward thinking.

Nice. Let's exult in somebody's death on the basis of his religion and nationality.

all your kind of liberal jews do is go around undermining any solidarity from emerging within liberal circles in regards to israel, eg, "no, it's not right to call it apartheid, it isn't as black and white as that and the Palestinians are also to blame as much as the Jews..."

It's literally the EXACT same tack that every liberal jew in the media takes in regards to Israel and it's really tiresome.

• Locked thread