Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

christ killed by the christ killers well you don't say

What have the Romans got to do with this? A revealing post, though. I'm sure that you are simply anti-Zionist and not anti-Semitic. (How could you possibly be anti-Semitic when Semite refers to Arabs too, lol amirite?)

loving lol though that america spends billions of dollars each year funding genocide at its own dire detriment out of pure spite

I don't think genocide is the right word here.

quote:

Genocide: the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

In 2014 Israel killed more Palestinians than any year since 1967: 2,314. Much of those deaths were as a result of the conflict in Gaza. (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/27/israel-kills-more-palestinians-2014-than-any-other-year-since-1967). The total Palestinian population in Gaza and West Bank is about 4.4m, so Israel killed about 0.05% of the total Palestinian population. It's a shocking number but it's not extermination.

Genocide is the wrong word because:
1) It's simply inaccurate
2) It diminishes the power of the word compared to actual genocides like the Armenians, Rwandan, and (oh! what a coincidence!) the Holocaust.
3) It implicitly (and probably intentionally) draws a parallel between the Holocaust and the (indisputable) suffering of the Palestinians, which I don't think is an accurate one - you of course can disagree, but I don't see 6 million Palestinians or so being summarily executed, gassed, worked to death as slave labour etc in the Israeli equivalents of Auschwitz, Treblinka, etc, or even massacred in the tens of thousands by machete-wielding mobs. We all know that Israel has the military capacity to destroy much of Gaza and the West Bank, so it isn't a question of capacity.
4) It isn't necessary. Palestinians are oppressed, murdered, humiliated, dispossessed, unlawfully imprisoned, subject to collective punishment, the victim of war crimes, etc (not that they are guiltless themselves - which is why the whole situation is so hosed up). Enough terrible things are done to Palestinians by Israel and Israelis (but not all Jews, OK?), that you don't need to reach for such an extreme term.

For what it's worth, I hate the current Israeli government, Netanyahu, Naftali Bennett, rightwing settlers, etc. They make me sick and I see no to little chance of peace with such racist fucks in power. Fatah and Hamas are equally bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

satanic splash-back posted:

What would you call it, "The Kill-ening"?

Brutal oppression covers it pretty well.

Boomstick Quaid posted:

It's apartheid

I don't think apartheid sufficiently covers the full range of activities and suffering, although it's close. That also applies to the treatment of Palestinian refugees in Lebanon.

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 6, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nerd death screech posted:

Hamas and Fatah are just as bad as the IDF, much like Nelson Mandela was just as bad as the South African regime, and Gandhi/Nehru were just as bad as the British Empire. Furthermore, I am a poo poo-for-brains retard.

Yeah, I made all those comparisons. Read about Hamas and Fatah leadership, then report back. Start here for a few examples:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32894633
https://electronicintifada.net/content/ramallah-palestinian-authority-blocks-website-reporting-corruption/7814
https://www.indexoncensorship.org/2014/01/gaza-west-bank-free-speech/

This isn't some Manichean struggle. The PA/Fatah/Hamas don't have to be saints in order for Israels' actions to be wrong (and vice versa, which is what a lot of strong Zionists believe). It's all hosed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

and the fact that they're not "saints" does not make them "just as bad". hamas has a lot of guilt on their hands, particularly in the treatment of minorities within gaza, but even if that were quantifiably "just as bad" as what Israel is doing to the entire Palestinian nation that still makes Israel worse because the entire situation is their doing.

It must be nice to have such a simple, black-and-white view of things. Saves you from having to do any of that awkward thinking.

Nice. Let's exult in somebody's death on the basis of his religion and nationality.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

starry skies above posted:

all your kind of liberal jews do is go around undermining any solidarity from emerging within liberal circles in regards to israel, eg, "no, it's not right to call it apartheid, it isn't as black and white as that and the Palestinians are also to blame as much as the Jews..."

It's literally the EXACT same tack that every liberal jew in the media takes in regards to Israel and it's really tiresome.

Wow. "Your kind of liberal jew". Please tell me more. Any other generalisations or prejudices you'd like to air? What people like you do is make it easy for defenders of Israel to say that the criticism is based on antisemitism and thus doesn't have to be engaged with or taken seriously.

I argued against the term genocide, not apartheid. And I never said that Israel and the Palestinians were equally to blame, although there have been so many gently caress-ups and missed opportunities and inflammatory violence and rhetoric from both sides that apportioning blame for a very complex, multi-faceted, historically-rooted issue is not as straightforward as most posters here seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

starry skies above posted:

I have paid attention to this conflict for years, and I have noticed that the most effective thing your kind of liberal jews achieve is undermining anti-Israel coalition from developing in the left. The right is free to be as anti-Palestinian as possible, and as pro-Israel as possible, but when a little anti-israel sentiment is needed to get a coalition against Israel going, then your kind emerges to block and undermine such a development by a creating a big stink and whining about anti-semetism.

Yeah, the antisemitism I just imagined out of nowhere, and of which there is no evidence ITT. Where exactly have I said that a criticism of Israel was unjust or unfair because it was motivated by antisemitism?

• Locked thread