Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I/P is one of those conflicts where the only feeling I can manage to muster is extreme disapproval of everyone involved, including basically every Internet commentator, yes, even you, dear reader

Execute all political and military leaders on both sides, start from scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress Hamas, gently caress Likud, gently caress Netanyahu, gently caress the guy who wrote this article for Haaretz

gently caress people who hide military HQs in hospitals and schools, gently caress people who blow that poo poo up anyway, gently caress people who cheerlead when civilians get killed because they want to watch the region devolve into chaos even though they know drat well that won't solve anything, gently caress anyone who picks a side in this conflict on the basis of being more racist against the other side, gently caress the OP, gently caress the OP, gently caress gently caress gently caress the OP

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Actually I root for the oppressed Palestinian civilians.

rooting for civilians in this conflict is like rooting for the Jacksonville Jaguars -- it might be the morally correct choice but at the end of the day no matter what happens you're not gonna be happy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you are writing posts that say "yes, side A has committed X war-crimes and atrocities, but have you considered that side B has committed Y war-crimes and atrocities :smug:" you are not winning your argument

I mean, you're not losing either but maybe there isn't a good side to take and the correct viewpoint is "gently caress everything and burn it all down"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

I am not even joking, stop playing the nihilist card you inhuman twat-oval office

It's the only card to play here, that is my entire opinion

Both sides are bullshit and if you pick one you are just picking which set of atrocities you care less about

If that makes me inhuman then beep loving boop I guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

OK then beep boop man, I prefer the atrocity of firing coke bottle rockets over the border

If I try to kill you and my gun jams do I get off the murder rap then or what

XMNN posted:

hamas are bullshit and evil and also incidentally probably a product of the deliberate attempts to undermine and murder palestinian secular liberation movements by you guessed it the israelis

I don't see how that means we should root for them to kill civilians and/or win wars :confused:

Look, if it were possible to democratically eject Hamas I'd want to do that but the Palestinians have been stripped of all hope and voting for them is their only option. If it were possible to democratically eject Likud I'd be all the gently caress over that in the name of incremental progress, but that completely failed to happen last year because we can't loving have nice things and Bibi pulled some last-minute bullshit to cannibalize the far-right parties and pull a win out of his rear end. There's nothing for it but to try again later. In the meantime the less the conflict escalates the less civilians get blown up for no loving reason.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly the Likud as it exists in 2015 is as much a product of Hamas as Hamas is of Likud

Pick whichever one you like as Batman and whichever one you don't like as Joker, it works both ways

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

yeah people tend to believe that when invading colonialists take your land by force they should be expelled by force

Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of history? Do you realize how many empires have conquered Israel in the course of the last 500 years or so? Hint: it is more than one

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

XMNN posted:

can u even read

don't root for Hamas or an Intifada then because that'll just lead to more of them getting killed

Lilbeefer posted:

If you came to my house, evicted me and then shot me for resisting, would my brother get a murder charge for attempting to assassinate you with a comedy cork-gun?

yes :confused:

The analogy here isn't a comedy cork-gun, it's like a kitchen knife. It could absolutely kill me if the circumstances were correct, and he absolutely would get a murder charge for trying to kill me with it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you're not rooting for Hamas or an Intifada I guess we don't actually have anything to argue about SO YEAH

I legitimately think the only way this conflict can ever deescalate in the slightest is if Netanyahu is killed or the opposition somehow manages to actually force him out and keep him out, and neither of those seems likely so the only thing we can do in the meantime is root against direct escalation

Hamas being forced out of their leadership role would help to make that happen but it's not likely to happen first

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

do you realize that this argument is just The Blacks Owned Slaves Too

the argument is "it's not meaningful to frame this narrative as the Israelis being 'colonialists' and the Palestinians being 'natives' because the word 'native' doesn't meaningfully apply to anyone currently living in this particular region" but unless you're rooting for an Intifada we're mostly disagreeing on semantics

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I blame the British personally

this OTOH is always safe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like how if I try to argue that an Intifada is counter-productive and rooting for Hamas because you are against killing civilians is stupid, that gets parsed into "I want to commit genocide and support all actions taken by the Israeli government because I lust for death"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lilbeefer posted:

That's actually fair enough.

Sorry

Death To Lilbeefer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

yeah they're not natives because some of them are descended from people who came in 500 years ago. lol

Ok so if a white person is descended from a Mayflower settler are they now Native American? Is 400 years that significantly different from 500?

This is a stupid argument which means nothing and will accomplish nothing but I am yuppie scum still on my lunch break so I can indulge you

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

they are native in comparison to the hypothetical chinese army that is attempting to expel them by force, yes

Ok what if more or less the entirety of the hypothetical Chinese army had been born in America

e: to make it extra clear none of this matters in the slightest and is just pseudo-intellectual wankery because both of us are pseudo-intellectual wankers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

i would shed no tears if americans killed them, would you?

You mean if Americans started just killing Chinese-American people regardless of whether they were in that army or not? Yeah, that would be bad even if the hypothetical army of Chinese-Americans was doing bad poo poo. Even if the army is bad, reprisal killings are still bad. Killing is bad and we should generally discourage it, that's my controversial opinion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Are u trying to rules lawyer israel out of responsibility for their ongoing apartheid against the palestinian people lol

no, I'm having a pseudo-intellectual wankfest with a fellow pseudo-intellectual wanker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

I like how if I try to argue that an Intifada is counter-productive and rooting for Hamas because you are against killing civilians is stupid, that gets parsed into "I want to commit genocide and support all actions taken by the Israeli government because I lust for death"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am anti-violent-escalation and pro-unsteady-maintenance-of-the-status-quo-until-we-can-get-leftist-government-elected-on-both-sides-but-mostly-in-Israel-at-which-point-real-change-can-occur because that's not perfect but it's the only way things won't get actively worse and have a shot at getting better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

starry skies above posted:

all your kind of liberal jews do is go around undermining any solidarity from emerging within liberal circles in regards to israel, eg, "no, it's not right to call it apartheid, it isn't as black and white as that and the Palestinians are also to blame as much as the Jews..."

It's literally the EXACT same tack that every liberal jew in the media takes in regards to Israel and it's really tiresome.

I'd like to draw attention to this post

^^^^ this post right here

"your kind of liberal jews"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tezzor posted:

are you jewish

lol you're stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think when an I/P conversation has turned to policing the actions of American Jews as a bloc it's time for me to officially say "gently caress this I'm out"

• Locked thread