Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Like, will the wealthy turn on each other since killing another one percenter and taking his poo poo will be the only way for them to continue increasing their net worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Yaldabaoth posted:

Like, will the wealthy turn on each other since killing another one percenter and taking his poo poo will be the only way for them to continue increasing their net worth?

People die OP.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
... what do you think people have been hoarding guns for OP?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
who did you have to piss off to get that red title OP?

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

that's what corporate welfare is for. the government has a big trillion dollar clearance every couple decades to drag it out, as the economic engine slowly dies. our economy has nothing to do with capitalism or people buying stuff at this point people are already too poor, so it's totally dependent upon debt now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ask any elderly person who survived the great depression.

There's like 2 of them left.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

give it a decade or two op and you can find out firsthand!!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The winners unfurl the big I WON banner and then the atmosphere finishes evaporating into space

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
We make stuff for rich people in other countries

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Marx answer this over 100 years ago?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

we could have avoided this if we just adopted bitcoins

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Yaldabaoth posted:

if the amount of contributions star citizens have being getting lately is any indication we are nowhere close to that point

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

eat the rich will finally finally happen far far to late to save anyone

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

Yaldabaoth posted:

As the head of Warren Buffet topples off his now limp body, Bill Gates raises his keyboard high into the sky and laughs maniacally as trillions of dollars fall from the sky and are absorbed into his body.

He finally did it. He is the one. The only one. Gates adjusts his blood-smeared glasses and slowly trudges back to his castle mansion overlooking the apocalyptic ruins of Seattle, each footstep crushing the skulls of former millionaires and billionaires who were too weak to stand against him.

naem
May 29, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

Ask any elderly person who survived the great depression.

There's like 2 of them left.

My grandmother was a little girl during the depression and has fond memories of her dad using one shot shell a week (all they could afford) to bring home a rabbit. If he missed- no Sunday dinner

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Rampant consumerism is scaled back and the average person realizes that having 3 TVs in their house isn't a human right.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Prices fall.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sheep-Goats posted:

The winners unfurl the big I WON banner and then the atmosphere finishes evaporating into space

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

... what do you think people have been hoarding guns for OP?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that wont happen before the robotic revolution makes 90% of humanity surplus labor

then the rich downsize humanity like theyve always dreamed

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poor people are actually where you make the biggest profit margin - like selling them one cigarette at a time or whatever

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
are you telling me austerity is a counterproductive policy pursued more for ideological reasons re the size and role of the state than for its basis in evidence or theory op

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isnt like the rich are some happy fraternity who all get along. people devoid of empathy are perfectly happy to rip each other to shreds, too.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

naem posted:

My grandmother was a little girl during the depression and has fond memories of her dad using one shot shell a week (all they could afford) to bring home a rabbit. If he missed- no Sunday dinner

my grandfather had a depression story where his mom would go to the butcher shop and buy a bag of turkey guts for 5 cents once a week, and would make soup out of them and that's all they would have to eat for a few days. One day the butcher asked her what she does with all those turkey guts and she told him her turkey soup recipe. The next week she went back and the butcher said that he had no turkey guts to sell, and there was a new sign in the window that said " bowl of turkey soup 5 cents"

naem
May 29, 2011

Advanced Detroitification

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
capitalism generally solves this crisis by destroying the productive capacity (machines, factories), and productive people. that way the logic of capitalism can be preserved by rebuilding the old productive capacity. see WW2

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
like the ideal capitalist system is a tiny group of capitalists selling to a vast swath of stupid poor people

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Harald posted:

like the ideal capitalist system is a tiny group of capitalists selling to a vast swath of stupid poor people

But where do the vast swath of stupid poor people get the money to buy stuff?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

the rich will have Every Single Thing, and then they'll transcend into heaven

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
janet be yellen

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

But where do the vast swath of stupid poor people get the money to buy stuff?

company scrip

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i mean i know the whole system only survives and works if capital swiftly and easily changes hands so as to keep the flow of goods constant and fast but what if we just hoarded all of the money instead?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

i mean i know the whole system only survives and works if capital swiftly and easily changes hands so as to keep the flow of goods constant and fast but what if we just hoarded all of the money instead?

we should put all the money in one bank, it would be like investing in everyone

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
that's called a recession, OP

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

mdm posted:

we should put all the money in one bank, it would be like investing in everyone

in fact the bank should be a museum where we go look at the money and remember when it had meaning in our society

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

NecroMonster posted:

marxist

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

we're already there and the solution has been to convince poor people to bury themselves in debt to make up the gap. credit card, mortgage, student loan, whatever.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

we're already there and the solution has been to convince poor people to bury themselves in debt to make up the gap. credit card, mortgage, student loan, whatever.

came to post this

we all hosed

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Capital in the Twenty-First Century is a 2013 book by French economist Thomas Piketty. It focuses on wealth and income inequality in Europe and the United States since the 18th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
eventually the rich get tired of the smell of the market correcting for surplus population and a lot of opportunities open up for corpsehaulers

• Locked thread