Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I really hope Jay Garrick is not depowered for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Zoom should've killed Henry once he got out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Can somebody redo :flashfap: with a hat?

Most legit post you've ever done.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
The entire message of the episode was "You don't have to cut everyone you care about out of your life to be the Flash..." then at the end they added "..except your dad, he has to go away because he is not quite a series regular or something?" That felt jarring. I bet he'll show up once every few episode to have brutally good heart to hearts with Barry, but I fear they are missing potential My Two Dads plots where Henry and Joe give conflicting advice.

Lets murder Atom Smasher wasn't given much weight, making the cast look fucken cold now. Maybe he isn't dead and the overdose puts him in a metacoma. I don't mind his lack of development because the characters need some mystery about this seasons big bad and his appearance is just the first hint of it.

For all its stumbles I still love this show and am stoked for more. I wish I was as excited for Arrow tomorrow as I am for this next week.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Zebulon posted:

Death by radiation overdose sounds like a really, really poo poo way to go. I'm kind of surprised everyone was on board with killing him, let alone killing him that way.

I guess since they have an infinite number of them to pull from now, it doesn't matter that they've now killed Al Rothstein off twice. Though did the writers forget he was listed as one of the victims of the particle accelerator accident last season? Or was the honeymoon line a nod to the fact that the current story line might still not be taking place in the original reality? Actually, scratch that, it's Cisco that gave that line. Who the hell knows which reality he even thought he was referencing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Hahahahaha they go from Super Gitmo to Murder Town.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
The best part of the episode for me was Weathersby and Stone, which is a nice nod to the show "Eli Stone". If only Victor Garber would start singing and dancing George Michael songs in "The Flash" as well.

CrcleSqreSanchz fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 7, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I don't understand at all why Flash Dad left, in universe wise. Just thanks for sprining me bye! At least they didn't shoot him down over the Sea of Japan.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bad Moon posted:

I don't understand at all why Flash Dad left, in universe wise. Just thanks for sprining me bye! At least they didn't shoot him down over the Sea of Japan.
My name is Henry Allen. After 14 years for being wrongfully imprisoned for the murder of my wife---

*plane is shot down*

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DjHomeless posted:

The best part of the episode for me was Weathersby and Stone, which is a nice nod to the show "Eli Stone". If only Victor Garber would start singing and dancing George Michael songs in "The Flash" as well.

Or maybe about getting rid of a president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJRiM9EWX0

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Robbie Amell just posted this on FB

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty good episode, except for the lame way of writing John Wesley Shipp off the show. But did they lose like a lot of effects money budget this season because this episode had some garbage CGI in it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

X-O posted:

Pretty good episode, except for the lame way of writing John Wesley Shipp off the show. But did they lose like a lot of effects money budget this season because this episode had some garbage CGI in it.
It could be they're saving their budget for later in the season. Early Season 1 didn't have stellar effects either, but as a trade-off we got Grodd.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

OTOH, they probably lost budget for LoT.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

It could be they're saving their budget for later in the season. Early Season 1 didn't have stellar effects either, but as a trade-off we got Grodd.

Eh early season one had the train sequence, which I think is still the high point of the season. And they could be holding back for later or they also could have gotten a big head about how well they did last season and may be swinging a bit higher than they can reach.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Or they had it, but something screwed up and they had to do a last second fix, and were hoping the sequence would be short enough that no one would notice.

This will be interesting, I bought the last season on iTunes because I was out of the country. Watching weekly commercial tv is going to be a new one on me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ComposerGuy posted:

Awesome! Jay is here to teach the Flash how to fight like the goddamn Flash.

Step 1: Do not run directly at the enemy.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Well, I hated it. That was just incredibly dull. Joe and Cisco are still great characters with some heart, but everyone else was just a boring cliché drama/exposition machine. Iris is still completely pointless. Professor Dude is super awkward. I miss Wells.

I liked Flash Dad, but bye-bye Flash Dad apparently.

Arrow's incredible second season took a while to get going too, so hopefully they're building to something entertaining.

Aphrodite posted:

How will I, The Flash, still see my father in a distant city?
Hahhhhhh.

By the way, was real confused about Barry saying he could "set up a new practice"? I thought he used to be a detective, not a doctor.

Bad Moon posted:

Hahahahaha they go from Super Gitmo to Murder Town.
Prisoners can't escape if they're dead! Heroism!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

X-O posted:

Shows like this tend to have a bigger budget for their first season and then the network gives them less as they continue

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I feel like this episode was busy, but it had to be on account of the somewhat abrupt season 2 finale. Lot of clean-up work to do. Henry going "I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW SON" was clearly written around the actor not being available as much for some reason, right? not very smooth.

One interesting, odd thing: when Barry comes to visit Caitlin, most of the scene is filmed through slightly blue glass. Show doing some not that subtle cinematography foreshadowing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm hoping they sent Shipp away (took a lot of effort to not make that a pun) because the season is just super packed with material and so they didn't want to have him be free but just never around, so this gives them a convenient excuse to only bring him in once or twice when he's needed.

And yeah the effects looked pretty bad, although to be fair I think it was mostly just the CGI of the enlarged smasher that looked completely horrible whenever he turned into stretch armstrong.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spatula City posted:

I feel like this episode was busy, but it had to be on account of the somewhat abrupt season 2 finale. Lot of clean-up work to do. Henry going "I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW SON" was clearly written around the actor not being available as much for some reason, right? not very smooth.

If that's the case then keep him in jail and try to work out another way to free him instead of writing him off in a most nonsensical and lazy fashion.

Woden
May 6, 2006

X-O posted:

If that's the case then keep him in jail and try to work out another way to free him instead of writing him off in a most nonsensical and lazy fashion.

He'll probably come back as Zoom or something.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I wonder, since even the Mayor of the city legitimised 'Flash Day' and all, and with all the merchandise, if maybe there's like 'Flash tourism' now.

Edit: Also having just finished the episode, I find it a bit odd they didn't just like, have Henry say that whilst he was glad Barry has found a purpose to his life, he himself just wasn't comfortable staying in the city where his wife was murdered and wanted a new start elsewhere. I get, he's Flash-Dad, but the man's allowed some personal motivations.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 7, 2015

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

X-O posted:

Exactly this. If he was going to be freed, it should have been part of the last season's final arc--it felt really hamhanded to have a secret video from Eobard, six months after the fact, saying "no, I didnt really hate you as much as I thought, so here's your father back." If they were just going to have Henry disappear anyway, then why even bother with that whole scene?

Also, I live within a half hour of my parents, and I have never heard them say "oh, you can't be your own man unless we move away." Even if Henry HADN'T been kept in jail and missed the chance to build a normal relationship with his son, that would have seemed off, especially since there's apparently no problem keeping Joe around in a father role. I can't imagine how the writers thought he would go from "good dad trapped in prison, misses his son" to "I'm finally free, see you later Barry, its STILL somehow not a good time for us to reconnect."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

I think his point was that if he stuck around Barry would be spending all his time and energy on "fixing" Henry's life and he wanted Barry to focus on being the hero that the city needs.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Real Dad is gone because the show likely has a tighter budget to work with this year. I'm not sure any justification would have really made sense. Even if he wanted to get away from Central City and what memories it brought up, why wouldn't Barry move with his dad? He could run over every time a meta-human popped up. There was no good way to handle that, so I'll let it go, but Barry deciding to work alone to keep people safe was poorly handled. He has never been able to succeed alone, and failing against meta-human villains just makes it more likely that his friends and family get hurt.

It makes sense when Oliver pulls that crap, but not Barry, who relied on a team since day one.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Barry's dad is another secret Flash and moved away without ever mentioning it because he didn't want to cramp Barry's style.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barry's dad should have said he needed to go somewhere to adjust being in prison for fifteen years, like a halfway house that could reintegrate him into society because he just wasn't ready to go full bore.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Barry pushed his dad away by being too clingy.
"Hey dad, you've been out of prison less than half a day, now lets move in together (like cell mates) and you can just pick right back up being a doctor no probs, it's only been 14 years! No, no time for you to adjust or enjoy being a free man for a bit".

I liked the episode overall, although I thought the whole "Barry working alone, learns he needs his team to help him" was a bit odd as we went through all that last season.
Maybe I missed it, but when that lawyer dropped off the USB stick, he said that Star Labs was going to go into recievership (no money coming in I guess) unless Barry watched the video, but now everything is OK - did Wells leave a bunch of cash to Barry too, to keep the lab going?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

Real Dad is gone because the show likely has a tighter budget to work with this year.

Arrow's budget was cut in half from Season 1 to 2 but that makes sense considering the first season needing sets built.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
This was not a good episode. I'm surprised more people haven't bagged it out. Hopefully the writing tightens up.

Agree that Iris is better for sure, and Cisco remains the best character.

In comparison with the other comic show, the Agents of SHIELD episode was massively more enjoyable for me.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
It was a setup episode so I'm not too concerned.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
I enjoyed the episode, even as an opener. The only problem I had was that the Atom Smasher didn't seem like a threat to the city. Yeah he eventually would've gone on a rampage to get the Flashes attention, but as it was portrayed he threw a bunch of corndogs at him and then...left him alone? There was no sense of urgency, it seemed like something that the team could've taken care of after a long weekend barbeque.

That aside, I dig it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I would have preferred the reason for his dad leaving being something as simple as "everyone in this town will still see me as a murderer, I need a fresh start" over not wanting to cramp barrys style.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, the part where they had to lure him out from lounging when his goal was supposed to be to take out the Flash was weird.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm wondering how the comic-book-show shuffle will play out this season. Last year, Arrow started out in the lead, coming off of a great second season, but pretty quickly got overtaken by Flash, which was strong from the start. Then Agents of SHIELD kicked it into high gear and took the lead, with Flash faltering a bit in the back end and Arrow just floundering to the point that even Gotham and Constantine were able to overtake it.

And, of course, Daredevil just blew everyone away.

But comic-book-show shuffle is an unpredictable phenomenon. Flash's season premiere was a bit iffy, but it might rally. Maybe Jessica Jones will be this year's flop, with Gotham taking the lead. Who knows?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens this season. :allears:

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Disappointed that Jay's intro wasn't "and I'm the fastest man alive" or "and I'm the Flash" but I get to see not one but two The Flashes on my TV so hey I can't complain!

Or "and I'd like my hat back."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

PaganGoatPants posted:

It was a setup episode so I'm not too concerned.

:lol: it was the season premiere.

This was flat out a bad episode and a bad way to start a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Doc Aquatic posted:

Or "and I'd like my hat back."

"By the way, this weird portal opened up in front of me a few months ago, so just for shits and giggles, I threw my hat in there. Have you guys seen it? Did it unnerve any bad guys who were nearby that might be familiar with me?"

• Locked thread