Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

farraday posted:

People can't just walk in he... FOR REAL?!?

Cisco is the best.

The video that Wells left I was disappointed in. It didn't seem like it was big enough too me.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

If that's the case then keep him in jail and try to work out another way to free him instead of writing him off in a most nonsensical and lazy fashion.

Except that ties Barry to the "my mom was murdered and my dad is still in wrongly in prison because of it and I have to find a way to exonerate him" plot from last year. I agree the execution of FlashDad just taking off is complete poo poo, but the reason behind it is sound. Barry is going to bond with Jay his second third fourth father figure this year and can't be hamstrung by daddy issues from Season One B Plot bullshit. Clean break!

Sometimes when a parent dies the other parent moves away to help put all the bad stuff behind him. The memories of Nora and the last 15 years could be too much for FlashDad to handle right now. Make it a bustrip through the lower 48 to clear his head and see what's happened while he was away.

This wasn't a good opener, but it did have its moments. Cisco is still awesome, Iris was not terrible and Yay 4 Jay!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Turns out Zoom is "Jay Garrick" in disguise and FlashDad™ is really Jay Garrick
:flashfap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I'm wondering how the comic-book-show shuffle will play out this season. Last year, Arrow started out in the lead, coming off of a great second season, but pretty quickly got overtaken by Flash, which was strong from the start. Then Agents of SHIELD kicked it into high gear and took the lead, with Flash faltering a bit in the back end and Arrow just floundering to the point that even Gotham and Constantine were able to overtake it.

And, of course, Daredevil just blew everyone away.

But comic-book-show shuffle is an unpredictable phenomenon. Flash's season premiere was a bit iffy, but it might rally. Maybe Jessica Jones will be this year's flop, with Gotham taking the lead. Who knows?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens this season. :allears:

It's a good problem to have.

The whole thing with Flash dad is behind the scenes poo poo loving with storylines. I noticed that JW Shipp was still in the guest cast section of the credits,and when they did the "he's getting out" twist, I assumed they were going to kill him. They don't want to promote him to series reg, and give him the commensurate increase in pay, and have to work him into every storyline. They also don't want to kill him off. Hopefully they find a better way to resolve it because him literally getting put on a bus is just not a good resolution.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 7, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Writing off Henry was kind of poo poo in the way they did it, but I think it ties into what Eobard said about Barry never being truly happy with what he has.

All he ever wanted was justice for his father and believed that as long as he had that, his life would be perfect and set. However his dad obviously wants to live his own life too, and while that involves connecting with Barry it also means exploring what life is outside of prison again. So now Barry is upset even if he's happy his father is free.

Barry's problem is that he never really learned to live for himself. He's always been living for other people, especially his father. So while what Eobard did was out of some warped love he has for Barry, it's also because he's a huge rear end in a top hat who believes it won't really change Barry fundamentally. Barry has to prove him wrong now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Just like in S1, plot points are picked up and resolved as superspeed. This opener was a bit too fast some some of the resolutions though. Flash dad could've been saved for another episode later and I didn't expect Jay to show up this early.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I enjoyed the opener for this season. Jay Garrick and Barry are gonna kick so much rear end it's ridiculous :flashfap:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Carlosologist posted:

I enjoyed the opener for this season. Jay Garrick and Barry are gonna kick so much rear end it's ridiculous :flashfap:

I'm hoping that the super-speed resolution of angsty plot points in this episode, along with the introduction of Jay, signifies that Barry Allen is going to be substantially less Peter Parkery this season.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

:lol: it was the season premiere.

This was flat out a bad episode and a bad way to start a season.

Seems like you are in the minority

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Mr Beens posted:

Probably true, as each episode passes I like this show less and less. I think I was one of the only people that thought the season 1 finale was blah.

I think I am also coming from a different perspective than a lot of people in this thread as well, because I haven't read any of these comics. So a guy showing up at the end of the episode saying "Hey I'm X" doesn't suddenly make the episode good to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It was bad for an opener, but it moved the plot forward. I largely agree with TLo's review.

Also, that villain? Wut?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mr Beens posted:

Is he? Seems like most people, at least around here, weren't too fond of this episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...this episode wasn't terrible, but everybody's stepping up their game so Flash and Arrow are going to have to quit resting on their Laurel if they wanna stay competitive.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

Is he? Seems like most people, at least around here, weren't too fond of this episode.

Well he's a Pacific islander so he is in that minority.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
So did they just kind of gloss over Team Flash straight up killing a dude? No one seemed to be bothered by it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Small step from prison in a small box.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I mean...this episode wasn't terrible, but everybody's stepping up their game so Flash and Arrow are going to have to quit resting on their Laurel if they wanna stay competitive.

Who is everyone? Shirley, you don't mean Gotham.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

Probably true, as each episode passes I like this show less and less. I think I was one of the only people that thought the season 1 finale was blah.

I think I am also coming from a different perspective than a lot of people in this thread as well, because I haven't read any of these comics. So a guy showing up at the end of the episode saying "Hey I'm X" doesn't suddenly make the episode good to me.

I also am a dirty not comic book reader (I've been very vocal on here about comic spoilers).
When I said you were in the minority it was more from your opinion that it was an out and out bad episode. Most people seem to rate it as OK to good - as I said earlier in the thread I thought it did a pretty good job at bridging the gap between the end of last season and the start of a new one with a few dodgy bits. They have done a lot of better epiosodes but this was no where near the badness of Bee Lady or the awful relationship drama bits of last season. Also Iris wasn't annoying (but still didn't really add anything).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Preview for next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17xwBQVPy-A

:flashfap: Flash hadoken! :flashfap:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So did they just kind of gloss over Team Flash straight up killing a dude? No one seemed to be bothered by it.

Barry is at least apologetic, though only mildly so. I do hope they find some kind of alternative. I mean, Cisco works with the police outright now - so you'd think if he was given the budget, he'd be able to convert some cells as needed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Who is everyone? Shirley, you don't mean Gotham.

Agents of SHIELD got lots better, Gotham has improved (although, granted, it set itself a low bar), and Daredevil was just phenomenal.

Also,

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh, finally just saw the episode, and I don't know why folks are complainin'. I thought it was really solid. Not a god tier ep, maybe, but a clear step above some other episodes last season.

Bad Moon posted:

Hahahahaha they go from Super Gitmo to Murder Town.
As it should be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

Barry is at least apologetic, though only mildly so. I do hope they find some kind of alternative. I mean, Cisco works with the police outright now - so you'd think if he was given the budget, he'd be able to convert some cells as needed.

I'm sorry I had to do this but you threw a hot dog cart at me man. I had no other choice.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

I don't disagree that the episode was meh but I think (hope) the next episodes will be good now that all the wormhole/Dad stuff from S1 is dusted away.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TBF to Barry he had to stop him from hurting anyone else. I mean, he knocked over 2 cops that's a pretty serious offense.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
How freaked out do you think Jay Garrick will be when he learns that Earth 1s Flash straight murdered a member of his rogues gallery for hot dog crime

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm just annoyed they offed him as a one note villain when he was a hero in the comics and even did time on the Suicide Squad. Imagine Waller recruiting him in this universe. No well kill him AND his counterpart for dumb reasons

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well, they can just pull another one of him from another world if they really need to.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bad Moon posted:

I'm just annoyed they offed him as a one note villain when he was a hero in the comics and even did time on the Suicide Squad. Imagine Waller recruiting him in this universe. No well kill him AND his counterpart for dumb reasons

Portions of this post that might have confused potential moviegoers have been redacted.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

greatn posted:

I'm sorry I had to do this but you threw a hot dog cart at me man. I had no other choice.

He did strangle at least one other person.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Portions of this post that might have confused potential moviegoers have been redacted.

Hang on, he means Task Force X.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

My Q-Face posted:

He did strangle at least one other person.

That was suicide at worst

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

That was suicide at worst

Transdimensional suicide is something all new.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was semiautoerotic asphyxiation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just watched the episode. It was pretty bad. I hated the way they started off six months after the previous season's finale and showed the closure of the black hole as a flashback. Also, fuckin :lol: at the way they wrote off Ronnie.

Both the villain, and the way he was defeated, were also terrible. "He feeds on nuclear energy, how do we stop him??? Oh wait, just feed him more energy than he can absorb!" Are you loving kidding me? I was hoping they would do away with dumb villains after last season's robot bee girl, but I guess not.

I was contemplating buying the season pass on iTunes, but I'm glad I didn't.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

Hahahahaha they go from Super Gitmo to Murder Town.

Season 1: prison

Season 2: murder

Season 3: Barry travels back in time to murder people who might one day have powers!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Season 3: Barry travels back in time to murder people who might one day have powers!

Season 4: The Interdimensional Council of Barry's murder certain universes that commit crime

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Here's some Zoom.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, that certainly was a season premiere. Already I am seeing signs of things I do not like. What kinds of things?

If there was a word that I could use to describe Season 3 of Arrow, it would probably be lazy. For some reason, they just kind of stopped caring. About making things plausible, about keeping character motivations consistent and believable, about including necessary beats so the story makes sense, about keeping track of things like an entire character in the middle of a loving fight scene. Seriously, one of Our Heroes gets electrocuted into unconsciousness during a fight scene and at the end of the fight, everyone else just walks off in slow motion. No one bothers to check on him. No one even mentions him. The showrunners straight-up admitted they forgot he was there. That's the level of sheer, sloppy laziness we're talking about here.

I'm not sure I would call Flash lazy yet, but... well, it sure did feel like there were some beats missing in this episode. It sure did feel like some things were skipped in order to get through plot points faster. It sure did feel like some of these character moments weren't exactly earned. I would really like to be wrong about this being signs of things to come. I guess we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Season 4: Liber8

• Locked thread