Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just watched the episode. It was pretty bad. I hated the way they started off six months after the previous season's finale and showed the closure of the black hole as a flashback. Also, fuckin :lol: at the way they wrote off Ronnie.

Both the villain, and the way he was defeated, were also terrible. "He feeds on nuclear energy, how do we stop him??? Oh wait, just feed him more energy than he can absorb!" Are you loving kidding me? I was hoping they would do away with dumb villains after last season's robot bee girl, but I guess not.

I was contemplating buying the season pass on iTunes, but I'm glad I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm kind of wondering if they're not getting rid of John Wesley Shipp because he's Zoom. It'd certainly give Barry a lot of drama to have his real dad as well as one of his paternal figures turn out to be a big evil dude.

Also, I'm really not looking forward to the introduction of Iris' love triangle rival next episode. They're explicitly introducing her to be "the Flashs' Felicity Smoak", which I don't like in and of itself, because Felicity herself wasn't, to the best of my knowledge planned, at least in terms of her impact and trying to force another character to fit that mold bugs me even if they can make it work. Putting that aside though, they already have a character that basically fits that mold in almost every way with Caitlin, so why the gently caress are they introducing another one? Caitlin is a sciency girl who helps in the Flash Hub and has a good chemistry with the lead actor as well as being fun to watch interact with a lot of the rest of the cast and watch in and of herself. She's not even hooked up with Ronnie anymore thanks to his actor having moved on. Nothing against her actress (who I'm completely unfamiliar with), but I hope it blows up in their face and they have to ditch her, simply because I don't think forcing that kind of role insertion is something that should be encouraged.

Then again, I'm not even fond of the fact that they're bringing Cavanaugh back. It seems a bad sign that they're unwilling to let a character go just because the audience is fond of him and are basically just trying to find excuses to keep him around instead of having the confidence to put aside a character or actor when their role is done.

I totally agree. Don't listen to the fanbois here. If Caitlin becomes Barry's love interest it will be quite lovely.

Do they have plans to keep Wells around though, beyond the little video he recorded?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm a bit disappointed that this season's super-villain is also a speedster. And we even have a third speedster! Zzz...

That, along with Atom Crusher -- who was defeated by a very similar "feed him more energy than he can absorb!" tactic as another villain in Season 1 -- makes me worried that they are running out of fresh ideas.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Atom Smasher could run pretty loving fast, as well, according to the show. He must've had superspeed as one of his powers.

But I will say it's just loving stupid that Barry constantly gets punched and shot and poo poo. Fighting Captain Cold and the fire guy again he was getting his rear end kicked for a while.

I hate the show's application of his superspeed.

It would help a lot if he actually worked out and built some muscle mass.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm sure thats comic canon or whatever, but yea it seems a bit lame. S3 villain better not be a speedster.

I hope it's Grodd. He has the potential to be a super-villain, especially since it was established that his intelligence is increasing and his mind-control powers becoming stronger. Imagine if he starts mind-controlling influential figures in the city and building himself a literal kingdom.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What dude are you talking about? Mainly because I'm blocking out a lot of Arrow season 3, but I can't remember this guy off the top of my head.

The sidekick guy. If I remember right (painful memories), he came to help Arrow fight Atom, and Atom just zapped him unconscious. At the end of the fight Arrow and Atom had a bro moment, and completely failed to mention the sidekick or even, like, check up on him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's no reason he should be dropping out of speed to fight though.

Yeah there is. The show has explicitly shown him get tired and winded after using his speed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

"My name is Barry Allen. I'm the fastest man alive... but fast wasn't good enough. In order to save my city, I have to become someone else. I have to become... something... else."

I'm just saying, all that emo we jettisoned from Arrow had to go somewhere.

Wait, are you saying Arrow is actually good this season?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I could understand the wariness, but he was being a super dick to him. It just felt very out of character.

Barry trusted Wells for months and was betrayed by him in the end. This made him angry and bitter. Remember: he's a guy who takes pride in being smart. He is, after all, a top-notch forensics expert.

So lashing out to and being a super dick to Jay is simply his defense mechanism: he wants to protect not just himself but also his friends from another potential betrayal. After all, he also disbanded the team and went off on his own for a while for the exact same reason. I didn't find either behaviors to be out of character. We were simply introduced to another facet of Barry, one that is well within the bounds of credibility.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Last season's Flash was super angsty as well.

Hey, you can't blame him for having already purged the Barry-Iris-Eddie triangle from his mind. :)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

Barry gonna get a Snowjob

We found our new thread title folks!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

The way they introduced her and made her very competent makes it seem like she will figure it out quickly.

Yeah, it's going in that direction it seems like. It'll also be a nice contrast to Iris not figuring it out for a whole season last year.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just realized that the show would lose nothing if Iris just died. She doesn't add anything at this point. She didn't add anything last season either, aside from being a source of angst for Barry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I'd rather they make Iris into a better character than remove her from the show completely. How could they make her into a better character though?

They could have her actually add value to the team by using her skills as a journalist and investigative reporter to uncover facts and angles that can't be uncovered using Cisco's and Steins' technical skills. But that would require actual effort on part of the writers.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

What skills as a journalist and investigative reporter?

I was being sarcastic. I believe literally her only qualification for her job was that she had a blog that became popular. Unlike the other members of the team, she has no marketable skills whatsoever, and unlike the new cop girl, she isn't exceptionally bright, observant or persistent. Which is why I said she should be removed from the show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsob posted:

The best thing I can think of to do is give her some super powers of her own, because it'll give her something to actually do in the show as she tries to get a handle on them and then she can contribute to fights as Barry's sidekick. Or she can get support powers that allow her to help in non-combat ways. If she got powers that had distinct disadvantages, like becoming a heat vampire the way Caitlin is expected to become it could even finally add some interesting drama to her relationship with Barry and force her character in to a position where she has some good conflict.

Everyone and their mother getting superpowers is what ruined Heroes. So no thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As long as I can download it on iTunes tomorrow I don't care. :colbert:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't he say he was removing radiation from the water? Hard water is used to cool nuclear reactors, so it could be a way to clean nuclear waste. Maybe his Earth is a hellish post-nuclear hellhole (aside from what we saw of Central City Earth-2) or they use a lot of nuclear reactors.

He also mentioned some kind of war in his earlier dialogues, like a WW2 parallel but he called it something else. Maybe it was a nuclear war or something.

edit: "War of the Americas"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, it's incredible how great the Barry/Patty chemistry is. If the writers gently caress it up I will be very, very mad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only thing that annoyed me about this episode is the fact that the security keypad didn't have brute-force protection, like automatically locking the user out and maybe even sounding an alarm after 3-5 failed attempts. I mean gently caress, they got loving LASERS, I don't see why they would have a keypad that can be brute-forced. Not a big deal but it definitely seemed like lazy writing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A dumb thing my friend made that made me laugh.

It would have been so great if they wrote her off like this. They missed the perfect opportunity!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You're all creeps. All of you.

And I totally agree.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That'd make sense. I can't really fault the logic either. They really can't do a Hunter Zoloman arc after the highs of the Reverse-Flash arc last season, and it gives the show just enough of a mystery to work for a season.

I'd like to tie that speculation to the idea that Black Zoom is an alt-universe Barry, prompting lots of cheap n' easy "WHAT WILL I BECOME" CW-style angst.

Alt-universe characters aren't what the Earth-1 character will become, but simply an alternative version of the character.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Why would such a Flash send new monsters out every week like some Lord Zedd?

PS Can we get Lord Zedd in this show? that would awesome

Yeah, if he needs to suck their power he'd need to do it himself.

Jay said something along the lines of "he was always one step ahead of me, like he knew what I was going to do next" which strongly implies Zoom is some sort of time traveler.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

...You know what, I'm actually kinda interested in a twist like that. Let Candice Patton ham it up.

And then maybe they can recruit her into Earth-1 and kick the version we have to Earth-2 because she's so uninteresting.

BAM! Problem solved!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gmq posted:

I find Firestorm very boring so I thought this episode sucked until the last two minutes. I want more fun flash action.

I want more Spivot. She's a really good actor and has been killing it in every scene.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Klungar posted:

Yeah, I thought he was cheek swabbing them, which would at least have been a little bit more believable.

How would you not notice someone inserting something in your mouth?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

McDragon posted:

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING SHARK MAN HOLY gently caress

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pentyne posted:

Its amazing what The Flash can do with their budget while Agents of Shield still has some of the worst CGI on television.

Yep, now all we have to do is combine the amazing CGI in The Flash with the great writing in Agents of SHIELD and we'll have the Perfect Show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Did you see the first episode of this season? That CGI was sub Syfy channel bad.

Not to mention the opening of every episode:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

Definitely Jawsome.

Also how does a 12+ foot shark sneak up on someone? I'm starting to think the Flash Cowl is severely hampering his hearing abilities.

He was distracted as he was creeping on his future girlfriend.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

gmq posted:

Barry and Patty have crazy chemistry together so I'm guessing they are going to kill her. Too good compared to Iris and that just won't work for CW.

You shut your dirty mouth.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Superman doesn't have a support team.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dresh posted:

When Caitlin asked Jay if Tahiti was a thing on Earth-2, I was disappointed he didn't call it a magical place.

...and mean it literally, with a meta with magic powers showing up next episode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

He's the one who should have apologized for asking someone out while they're at work, that's like a major faux pas.

lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Of you go around asking waitresses, cashiers, receptionists, or baristas for their digits while they are doing their job and not allowed to leave you are a grade A creep.

lmao

keep it comin

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Valeyard posted:

How did earth2 Wells know who Barry was and that he was The Flash

The guy teleported into the heart of STAR Labs. He presumably had access to pretty much all the internal systems and was able to easily deduce Barry's identity.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Valeyard posted:

But he said he specifically came through to see "The Flash" referring to Barry, so he already knew

He said that, but that doesn't mean he knew who The Flash was or that it was Barry in advance.

It probably turned out to be simply a coincidence, since the STAR Labs worm hole in Earth 2 is linked to its counterpart in Earth 1.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm guessing he assumed E1 had a Flash, and knew Zoom would be after him since he hunted, and Wells 2 assumed he killed, Flash2.

Yeah, he didn't immediately go to meet The Flash. He arrived in STAR Labs, left there, broke into Mercury Labs to steal the magic gun, then started hunting metahumans using his wrist app and eventually found Barry getting owned by King Shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm gonna sound like a total shipper when I say this, but I'll be loving pissed if the writers gently caress up Barry & Patty. They have the second best chemistry after Barry & Joe, and Patty is a genuinely awesome character.

• Locked thread