Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty good episode, except for the lame way of writing John Wesley Shipp off the show. But did they lose like a lot of effects money budget this season because this episode had some garbage CGI in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

lotus circle posted:

It could be they're saving their budget for later in the season. Early Season 1 didn't have stellar effects either, but as a trade-off we got Grodd.

Eh early season one had the train sequence, which I think is still the high point of the season. And they could be holding back for later or they also could have gotten a big head about how well they did last season and may be swinging a bit higher than they can reach.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spatula City posted:

I feel like this episode was busy, but it had to be on account of the somewhat abrupt season 2 finale. Lot of clean-up work to do. Henry going "I HAVE TO LEAVE NOW SON" was clearly written around the actor not being available as much for some reason, right? not very smooth.

If that's the case then keep him in jail and try to work out another way to free him instead of writing him off in a most nonsensical and lazy fashion.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

That was suicide at worst

Transdimensional suicide is something all new.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that this season's super-villain is also a speedster. And we even have a third speedster! Zzz...

That, along with Atom Crusher -- who was defeated by a very similar "feed him more energy than he can absorb!" tactic as another villain in Season 1 -- makes me worried that they are running out of fresh ideas.

Don't worry, they're adding more than two speedsters this year. Last I heard it was at least four.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know what they were going for with that shot of Jay and Barry going for Patty, but man did it come off clumsy to anyone familiar with that cover. They should have just left that for the promo poster. Otherwise that was a fun episode even with Barry acting like an rear end and killing another dude. I like seeing him learn new powers that he will probably never ever use again like the lightning toss though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I like Patty Spivot a lot. Jay is going to need to grow on me because I found him rather flat as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bbf2 posted:

Well they'll probably reveal who Zoom is in like February or so, and that ABC show will likely be cancelled by then, so it's not outside the realm of possibility

That show is doing well and just got an order for more episodes, so not looking likely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And for all the negative Johns talk, his run on Wally is every bit as good as Waid's.

His Flash is really the only thing I've ever liked by him. Until he brought Barry back.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Drifter posted:

Has there ever been a girl Flash? Not some rando girl speedster, but a legit Flash-like girl character? Also, unless you weirdos wanting an Impulse character truly want some lovely 14 year old on the TV show like it's on the goddamn Disney channel or something, just let it be. :colbert:

There was Jesse Quick for a second and alt/future ones but that's about it. Also Stan Lee's Flash, but we don't talk about that one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

She got injected with genetically modified hummingbird DNA. She ran faster than the speed of light and then freaked the gently caress out because she saw herself do it since she was going faster than the speed of light. Stan Lee crazy.

It was weird. But I have to admit, I didn't hate the suit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

"How many fathers can one Flash have?" will be the theme of season 5.

The Flash of 12 Fathers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

evenworse username posted:

It makes sense that Flash is all grumpy and bitter, but I really liked the Flash being the relatively light-hearted fun show, and this season it's all angsty and killy.

I mean, that's what Arrow is for.

Last season's Flash was super angsty as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As with any episode featuring Captain Cold it was good, but I found it odd that Barry decided to lock up Snart for killing a bad guy (and arguably a much worse bad guy than the last two) when he's done the same thing the last two weeks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

My only issue with Wells showing up is we're going to get a repeat of the "don't trust him!" stuff we got with Jay, only 2 episodes later. Though it could go either way,

Well if you're interested in knowing a recent interview said that Barry trusts Wells pretty much right off the bat since he's sure it's not Thawne. In fact it made a point to say he trusted Wells much quicker than Jay. The same interview also mentions that Cavanagh decided to play Earth 2 Wells as a complete douchebag, since you know he's from Earth 2 and all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I should have clarified but in the comics are there 52 realities/universes or whatever? What is the significance of the number when they named the comic run New 52? I could probably google this but I like goon summaries.

52 is a number that means a bunch of things in the DC comics. There used to be only 52 different realities, they used to try and publish 52 monthly titles, there was a weekly series that ran for one year called 52. It's just kind of their thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I never quite figured out why they latched on to it so hard. Is it the weeks in a year/cards in a deck thing? Or is Didio just very easily focused on pointless poo poo?

I think it's the weeks in a year thing. It all started with 52 and then Countdown (aka "52 done right") and then kind of just stuck for some reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Error 404 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices all the Portland. Every time I'm just like "yay hometown!"

Also, my personal opinion from last season is that Star City is DC Earth 1's Seattle, making Central City Earth 1's Portland.

Coast City is San Francisco or something.

They showed a map one time and Starling was somewhere near The Great Lakes. Central City has been mentioned as being 600 miles from Starling, which makes zero sense given we've seen coastal areas in Central City. In conclusion, who the hell knows where these cities are? Certainly not the people making the shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Astro Nut posted:

So, this is the effects reel for the villains, but it turns out that their basic model for Jay is the classic jeans and shirt :3:

Good idea not to put too much Atom Smasher in there since he mostly looked terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was a bad episode of Flash with a really fun last 60 seconds. King Shark looked so good they had to kill him after 15 seconds of screen time because there's no way they could afford longer than that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mind the walrus posted:

the actors really managed to push the clunky script through

I wonder how long it will be before this starts to become a bigger problem. I mean it's been present on both shows since their first episodes but there's been enough distraction through other strengths where the target audience probably doesn't mind. But it's not getting any better on either show and it doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon. Now we have three shows by the same brain trust and a fourth on the way and none of them seem to be able to find writers that can write dialogue. Eventually the bag of cool stuff and good performances isn't going to be enough to keep the attention off the bad writing. I rarely groan at the dialogue on SHIELD these days (early going it was rough times) and never did on iZombie or Daredevil. So I know there are writers out there capable of writing comic book style shows where people talk like people.

Of course if you just put Snart in every episode that'll fix everything. In fact just make Legends of Tomorrow his show and get rid of everyone else on it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing Barry is going to be pissed at Wells-2 most about next week is taking his kill. Now he's on a two week slump.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

How long until Sexy Evil Caitlin shows up?

If you mean the picture posted earlier, that was from last year's finale.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Cisco hasn't won an award or something for evening tv. Dude killed it hardcore with the death scene last year, and this year he's been acting his rear end off. Most believable character in the show.

Carlos Valdes is definitely good in the role but let's be real, nobody on Flash is doing close to award winning acting. There's so much good TV on right now and there's no shortage of performances that blow away anything on this show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wasn't really paying good attention to the episode... did the Firestorm Five Finger Failure give Evil Firestorm his powers? because wow team flash is way more evil

No, his power was unlocked by his anger. Even though he was supposedly a super angry dude anyway and it hadn't been unlocked over the last year plus.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

Its amazing what The Flash can do with their budget while Agents of Shield still has some of the worst CGI on television.

Did you see the first episode of this season? That CGI was sub Syfy channel bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The CGI at times on this show is amazing (the train scene last year, Grodd, 15 seconds of King Shark) but it's flat out bad at others. Atom Smasher looked abysmal. Tokamak was about as low effort as it gets. So we know the team is good, they just obviously have very limited resources and sometimes don't play to their strengths. I believe the same team did the effects in Supergirl and it was obvious with a bigger budget they did much better. The plane rescue scene in that episode was fantastic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Try to keep talk of the next episode and things that might or might not be in it to a minimum until it actually airs. Nobody wants to see a bunch of spoiler boxes all over the place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GigaPeon posted:

Did anyone point out that Iris's mom has MacGregor's, which is the disease that Mr. Freeze's wife had in Batman & Robin?

I believe that's what Clock King had as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I for one am shocked at the dialogue in this show being poorly done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, good talk guys. Enough about the clunky dialogue. Move on to another topic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So far this is easily the best episode of the season and it's not even close. I was getting worried after last week was so bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wells calling it like he sees it. I like him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Game over Cicso.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm glad whoever wrote this episode decided to get some poo poo done with their 40 minutes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mikeraskol posted:

Holy poo poo Barry just run behind her and punch her in the back of her loving head you're fast as gently caress

I've just accepted at this point that inconsistency has to exist. There's no reason someone that inoculated 30 people in two seconds can't immediately knock out anyone. But it's something we'll just have to live with.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jay, you kind of are a coward aren't you?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scyantific posted:

Ok so basically Zoom is using Wells' daughter as an incentive for Wells to go to Earth-1, get Barry to confront Zoom, and have Zoom kill Barry/absorb his speed force.

That sound about right?

Don't put speculation in spoiler tags.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Am I crazy or did they have a casting announcement for Dr Light earlier this year?

Also best ever episode for Carlos Valdez.

Character announced, yes. Casting, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hoping that Earth 2 Oliver Queen is like Condiment King or something equally as goofy.

• Locked thread