Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mr Beens posted:

Seems like you are in the minority

Is he? Seems like most people, at least around here, weren't too fond of this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

enraged_camel posted:

Both the villain, and the way he was defeated, were also terrible. "He feeds on nuclear energy, how do we stop him??? Oh wait, just feed him more energy than he can absorb!" Are you loving kidding me? I was hoping they would do away with dumb villains after last season's robot bee girl, but I guess not.

I know over loading the villain has been done to death, but haven't they already done that on season 1? I honestly can't remember.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I know it's just a carry over from the comics, but Golden Glider is one of the worst name's I've ever heard. Plus it doesn't make sense within the context of the show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

greatn posted:

I didn't like the "what, so you can shut me down again?" line. He should have got a slap in the face for that rather than an apology. He's the one who should have apologized for asking someone out while they're at work, that's like a major faux pas.

Especially during the rush hour. The standard rule of thumb: if the person you are approaching is not allowed to leave, do not ask them out.

The one moment I couldn't suspend my disbelief on this episode was the fact that she asked him out later in the episode after that weird pick up. Although, I'm not sure slapping him would have been an appropriate response.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

WarLocke posted:

Umm, it's Crisco, get it right guys.

Wells-2 is so great. Also he's a diiiiiick

I know I'm alone in this, but I thought Wells 2 was too much of a dick. Like I get that he has beef with Jay, but why the gently caress was he so angry towards this complete group of strangers that haven't done poo poo to him? Especially when he's going to them for help with a problem he created.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

mikeraskol posted:

His daughter is being held captive by an insanely powerful speedster who could murder her at any second?

And being an rear end in a top hat to the only people that can do anything about it helps doesn't help his cause.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

My Q-Face posted:

It really felt like a plot contrivance out of thin air because Arrow is dealing in Mystical poo poo this season.

Yeah, it really was odd how little effort Barry put into fighting that guy before he just gives up and calls for help. Savage didn't even seem like much of a threat to him until he got the staff.

Also:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hawkpeople are lame as gently caress and the only thing worse than 1 is 2 of them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Mr Beens posted:

That was a bit of a wet fart. I loving hate US TV show "christmas" episodes anyway, but even without all that horrible shmaltz over the top this was a pretty poor episode.

The magic magnet bomb solution was laughable and yet again they come up with some weird convoluted reason why Flash can't just run out of the building (that makes no sense) then make him helicopter out (which makes less sense than him just running out).

Worse than the magnet bomb was Team Flash and Patty both figuring out where Trickester was based on the reflection of a teddy bear in his eye. That was super dumb.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I really hope we've come to the end of all the West family drama.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You're right. What I should have said is, I hope this is the end of West family drama that is completely divorced from the rest of the story. Have Barry and Wally interacted at all? Aside from Barry answering the door when he first showed up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

enraged_camel posted:

They haven't interacted, which I think is a great thing because the last thing we want is awkward jealousy from Wally towards Barry for having been Joe's son all those years. Because you know the writers will definitely add something like that.

No way, the writers would never do that. Clearly they're setting up a new love triangle where Iris has to choose which one of her brothers she wants to be with. Actually, I shouldn't even joke about that, because someone has already written that fan fiction.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

catch22 posted:

I haven't really read comics in a long time, so I don't know if this is still a thing, but I always thought it was bizarre when some world shattering event was going on and the bad guy causing it was a mutant, there were only mutants fighting him, and if he was a non-mutant, it would be only non-mutants. Like where were the Avengers or Spider-Man during the Age of Apocalypse story line?

It was an alternate timeline where mutants ruled, I'm pretty sure they just didn't exist as heroes.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Man this episode was a huge letdown after last week. Did they ever address how earthquake guy found out about Star Labs?

mikeraskol posted:

Sorry guys I think might have some health problems because I pretty sure I've been hallucinating. In this crazy vision, someone on team Flash murdered a defenseless dude in a cell by ripping out his brain matter through his nose.

It was weird too because everyone forgot about it and like an episode or two later Barry said that Mr. Brain-murderer was a key part of Team Flash.

Edit: Honestly how is a viewer supposed to feel any sympathy for Wells at all? The whole Jesse plotline was terrible and feel completely flat for me because of this point, and the show seems to have no conception about this. I think it honestly believes we should be rooting for this rough, plucky guy.

You also hallucinated Patty shooting Wells and that plot point never being mentioned again.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've gotten used to stupid Barry moments on this show, but him just standing there while Zoom was being held off by Killer Frost was too much. Like it's the chance he's been waiting for all season and the first moment of weakness shown by Zoom and our hero doesn't do anything. In fact he let's Killer Frost sacrifice herself like it was nothing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

VagueRant posted:

Oh god, I forgot how terrible and forced this hurriedly introduced, random low-stakes antagonist was.

I'd bet all the money in the world that guy exists only to be a potential love interest for Iris. Look how hot he is!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Senerio posted:

Probably just a "Jay needs something more to do this episode because he's about to be handled."

I like what you did there.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
At the very least, I'm glad Barry finally defeated an enemy by thinking on his own and not calling home base to get a pep talk.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I wouldn't have minded Barry being pissy about Earth-2 if the guy hadn't spent this entire season being pissy about one thing or another.

10 Beers posted:

Man, those Argus dudes are chumps. That's the oldest trick in the book!

They clearly didn't see Jurassic World.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Zoom just comes off like a Power Ranger villain. He knows everything about our heroes and can literally kill them any second he wants, but instead he sends wave after wave of jobbers so our hero can learn a lesson of the week.

This show would be better served by not having a season long villain and maybe doing smaller arcs centered around rotating enemies. Similar to what Shield did last year.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The very first thing he did was send a giant monster man after the Flash...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

computer parts posted:

One interesting part of Jay as Zoom is that now we don't know that Velocity 9 will actually hurt Barry. In fact, it could've been that he was trying to prevent Barry from being fast enough to beat Zoom using the drug.

Arguably he didn't know if the Tar guy would've died or not. Oh and Wells killed thine turtle guy and Barry forgave him*, but otherwise nah.

*Which puts Barry in a bind - either he ignores that a guy killed someone, or he "broods" about it. This is why it's a dumb example that's somehow still repeated.

In Barry's defense, Tar guy was already loving dead as poo poo. The particle accelerator basically turned him into a walking talking corpse with tar powers.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Kelsing posted:

What could the writers have done in order to make the season more compelling than it is? The 'giving Jay more agency' idea where he has a sort of power struggle with Wells over influencing Barry was a fantastic idea, but is there anything else they could've done?

I think that having a more lighthearted Wally in comparison to the 'I hate everyone' bore that he is now would've helped to keep the season fresh. Especially if he actually knew that Barry was The Flash (honestly, why are they keeping it from him?).

Then again, they're probably just trying to have him be like the New 52 Wally West, who is bad.

Barry and Wally haven't really interacted until this last episode, why would they tell him he's the Flash?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rarity posted:

Awwwwww Central City! Don't you dare be sour, clap for your world famous Earth-2 champ, and feel the power! It's a New Jay!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Wally's actor (his name escapes me, guess I'm a racist) was at C2E2 over the weekend in the autograph area and we never saw a single person in his line. Not even once and we spent a good amount of time in that area.

I honestly couldn't believe he was booked for the show when I saw him listed. He's only been in a handful of episodes and hasn't even done anything noteworthy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Almost all of the series regulars have exclusive convention deals with Wizard World so Reedpop probably jumped at the chance to snag who they could.

My friends saw him wandering around and got starstruck and all I could do is wonder why. Out of curiosity, is your shop located in Chicago?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Someone needs to do a running tally on the number of disgruntled scientists that turn evil on this show. I can think of think of at least three this season alone.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Krad posted:

They're still the same people, no one gets erased, just modified. Remember that Cisco could still recall his death after changing the timeline.

And in this case only a few extremely minor changes have been made. It's not like Barry robbed them of some perfect alternate life.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

tsob posted:

On the other hand they were all willing to let Barry entirely change lives, theirs included, and possibly for the worse, during the season one finale so that he could save his Mom. He had a lovely motive, but given chaos theory he really had no right to be loving with the timeline like that and it wasn't even his own decision not to, but that of some other, different Flash we'll probably never get some insight in to.

Well yes, but at the same time he was just trying to fix the damage done by RF in the first place. Not only would he save his mother, but Harrison Wells and thousands of others lost in the accelerator explosion.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

enraged_camel posted:

You know what I look forward to?

Wally finding out that Barry is The Flash, and then accusing Joe of keeping it a secret from him.

Because let's face it: the show has been rather light on West family drama lately.

Don't worry, Iris is finally developing feelings for Barry so look forward to some long drawn out star crossed lovers bullshit.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I thought Barry was faster than Zoom now? Wasn't that the while point of him trying to take him on this episode? He caught him once, just do it again.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Aphrodite posted:

He could, if he chased him right away. The time Barry spent gawking is enough for Zoom to get far enough away that being faster won't help Barry find him.

I was thinking more about after they got Wally back. Zoom lost his bargaining chip and Barry literally had nothing standing in the way of punching him the gently caress out. Sure all his friends were there and could have been in danger, but why would you bring them along and make them targets in the first place?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Flash is too dumb to be a superhero. Like, hey maybe work on a solution for permanently catching Zoom before opening the breaches because he is a speedster you stupid idiot :doh:

Seriously! If there was only one way for Zoom to get back to earth 1 why not set a trap in that room? You know because they have the technology to take away a meta's powers and all.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I love that there's still only one breach still open and Zoom still uses it to go back and forth and no one's thought to do anything about it.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'd find Zoom a lot scarier if he'd kill just one character that mattered, instead of leaving them to come up with more plans to foil him.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm shocked no one has mentioned how stupid Grindr's zombie walk was. The whole time it looked like he was trying to keep his pants from falling down.

Also I'm glad Zoom continues his descent into Power Ranger villain by employing a group of terribly non threatening mooks that will probably come at the Flash one at a time.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
If Iris and Barry don't get together there would be no backlash, because who the gently caress wants them to be together at this point? Honestly, how much better would it have been to have them just date for the get go without all this cliche "will they, wont they" bullshit?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Fuego Fish posted:

Shia Labeouf still got top billing, though.

And was the star of all those movies, while Tyrese played second fiddle to Fergie's husband.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't understand why everyone was coming down on Barry so much. He was confident he could beat Zoom, but at no point does he get sloppy or cocky.

Also they really need to stop using the slow mo CGI Flash so much, it looks worse and worse every time.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

PFlats posted:

Well I mean what was he supposed to do? Sound moves at like the speed of light. Barry can barely run above Mach 3, there's no way he could have avoided it.

Barry should probably stop having long drawn out conversations with the metas of the week, they always end with him getting chumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
If Barry's life wasn't filled with tragedy how would they be able to cram motivational speeches into every drat episode?

• Locked thread