Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

The cartoon predicted the superslide trick. (Kinda.)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

That was the spoiler.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

please stop posting spoilers for my lp

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

DoctorKill posted:

please stop posting spoilers for my lp

You asked for this.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 25, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ArcMage posted:

You asked for this.

There's no spoiler in this post, banned.

Spoiler: episode 6 will be 30 minutes of live footage of me slapping suspicious dish in the face

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

DoctorKill posted:

Spoiler: episode 6 will be 30 minutes of live footage of me slapping suspicious dish in the face
With what

WITH WHAT

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

DoctorKill posted:

i can't believe you've done this

spoiler: you're a horrible jerkface

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Simply Simon posted:

Man, this is just in time, as I checked my Youtube subscriptions the other day to see what SwordlessLink was up to. For those not aware, he also does Zelda glitch- and speedruns because I can never get enough of them. Turns out he had started up an older seemingly abandoned Let's Play Majora with glitches LP again, and I watched the first unseen episode. Which was okay but I felt like he didn't have much fun doing it, and he's always doing poo poo live so a lot of the tricks can go wrong and it was just not that enjoyable.

I kept trying to watch those videos but seeing the huge "REMEMBER OT LIEK AND SUBSCRIBE HERE'S THE NEW VIDEO" just got to me too much.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
SL's videos have improved a bit since he got hit with copyright strikes and got his account restricted, believe it or not. Since he now has to keep his videos to under 16 minutes in length, he actually employs a bit of editing when he's forced to. The biggest problem I have with his work is that he insists on doing everything live, doing everything the finicky glitchy way he wants to demonstrate no matter how many tries it takes him, and showing the audience all of his attempts because he thinks cutting out the failures is disingenuous (and he wants the audience to suffer as much as he does, I guess). Take any of those elements away and you remove the issue completely, but as it is, he gets frustrated every time something doesn't work, and it gets to be like sitting in the back seat of a car while the couple in the front seat yells at each other and nobody's paying attention to the road, so there's no distinction between divorce or an oncoming truck - something is going to hit you head-on and destroy your life. Okay, maybe a bit dramatic, but you're practically watching the guy have a breakdown, particularly in the Mario 64 videos. (And that game has broken many people - remember ElectricalBeast and SirRonLionheart? Both victims of trying to do a normal LP of Mario 64 and shifting to annoying gimmicks halfway through.) With the time limit in place, SL sometimes abandons a trick he wants to show and just describes it or cuts out failures until he gets it right because he can't otherwise fit the video he wants into the time he has, and while he's still frustrated, at least you're usually only hearing the post-success portion of the rant. This will last until sometime in December.

Mawio saves his time-stop power for about three years and uses it to jump off the side of Bowsah's arena with no lives left but TELEPOR back up so he can get the key. Pretty much nobody is aware that this happens because retsupurae has moved on to donated longplays and Kickstarter videos by this time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Even still, he's gone onto using levitate cheats and savestates because he really, really, really doesn't want to edit anything out. It's actually quite pathetic.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Suspicious Dish posted:

Even still, he's gone onto using levitate cheats and savestates because he really, really, really doesn't want to edit anything out. It's actually quite pathetic.

Why do you guys waste your time watching subpar poo poo by youtube randos? I don't get it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the start of his series when he was having fun. But somewhere around the middle of a series he gets progressively more and more angry at video games.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fanzay posted:

Why do you guys waste your time watching subpar poo poo by youtube randos? I don't get it.

Why do you waste your time evaluating what other people do for entertainment? Some questions will just never be answered.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Suspicious Dish posted:

I enjoyed the start of his series when he was having fun. But somewhere around the middle of a series he gets progressively more and more angry at video games.

And that would be where I would have stopped watching.

Nidoking posted:

Why do you waste your time evaluating what other people do for entertainment? Some questions will just never be answered.

I was asking because I don't understand, not because I was trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Sorry, I guess :shrug:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Nidoking posted:

remember ElectricalBeast and SirRonLionheart? Both victims of trying to do a normal LP of Mario 64 and shifting to annoying gimmicks halfway through.)

You hush your mouth.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Fanzay posted:

I was asking because I don't understand, not because I was trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Sorry, I guess :shrug:

If you really wanted to know why, it's because SwordlessLink isn't just a youtube rando. Or if he is he's one with some background in glitches. As I understand it he's been glitching Mario and Zelda games for like, 9 years now? He's been around for a while, so people just kind of hope for decent content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I didn;t see this thread until today but Im very excited to see more zelda

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm watching your Ocarina of Time LP and I seriously love these types of LPs. If you're looking for co-commentators I'd be down for a video. Most of my commentary will just be "Holy poo poo how'd you do that?" to be fair :v:

Edit: I can't wait to see how you get the Wedding Mask. I adore Majora's Mask and it's my favorite Zelda game but man some of the masks had some serious bullshit requirements.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

DoctorKill posted:

If you really wanted to know why, it's because SwordlessLink isn't just a youtube rando. Or if he is he's one with some background in glitches. As I understand it he's been glitching Mario and Zelda games for like, 9 years now? He's been around for a while, so people just kind of hope for decent content.

His Ocarina of Time series was extremely thorough and good, and he never got too frustrated at the game. I mean this being the DoctorKill thread I'd have to say yours is better but his was also out first. His Super Mario 64 glitch stuff was also pretty interesting. I would say avoid the latest series (Star Road) because yeah like some other people were saying it just seems like he's not having a good time. Neither would I, if someone asked me to show off every single Mario 64 and modded Mario 64 level while getting the theoretical max coins in each one. He definitely deserves better than "hurf durf pubscum alien and ungoony" or whatever.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Since the last episode came out later than I wanted, have ANOTHER NEW EPISODE ONLY A FEW DAYS LATER.

Part 4: Power through Stone Tower at Zero Hour

In this episode MissileWaster and I go on a grand adventure, deep down into the... sky of Ikana, into Stone Tower. Stone Tower is many people's favorite dungeon, it might be mine, and it has a lot of cool tricks so I hope you enjoy watching it. If you wanted me to fight Twinmold however, you're out of luck, for certain reasons I will fight Twinmold much later in the LP. The main reason is to spite you.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 25, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

death .cab for qt posted:

[Please don't post spoilers, especially not Metal Gear Solid V spoilers. :confused: -Jordan]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haha oh poo poo, sorry death .cab, I didn't mean for that to happen. Just know that this is absolutely not my fault and that I'm completely blameless.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I always found it a shame the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora isn't the actual song from Link's Awakening, thanks for fixing that!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When I was a child with more time than sense I tested the slash limit of the Razor Sword and I remember it degrading after striking a tree exactly 100 times. I did not test if more powerful attacks (like the jump slash) wear it down faster.

One thing I never cared to try was killing Twinmold without the Giant's Mask because gently caress that.

You finally kill Wesker for good.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I've never actually used the Razor Sword. I always just get the gold dust from the Goron races straight away and upgrade directly to the Gilded Sword.

Judge Doom framed Roger Rabbit, and killed Eddie Valiant's brother.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Like most Zelda speedruns I have no idea what you're talking about half the time but this lp is pretty interesting to watch. I googled around a bit and found out how to do time stop on the 3DS version, it took me a while and didn't actually help here because you need to backflip so you can't trigger the initial block moving cutscene, but I feel like I achieved something so here's a screenshot.

Eli dies at the end of Episode 2

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoctorKill posted:

Haha oh poo poo, sorry death .cab, I didn't mean for that to happen. Just know that this is absolutely not my fault and that I'm completely blameless.

I hold you responsible for these actions despite you not directly causing them. This is just like when it was found out that Big Boss was actually the leader of Outer Heaven. :mad:

ATTN: JordanKai that is a spoiler for the game Metal Gear, for the MSX.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Faraday Cage posted:

Like most Zelda speedruns I have no idea what you're talking about half the time

What!! This isn't good, I've been trying to explain everything I do! Is there specific stuff you didn't get? I can probably explain it more in depth.

And yeah time stop works a bit different in the 3D version, the thing you're trying might work if you start and end the backflip on the switch? Not sure. In any case, MM3D actually has a lot of interesting changes, in regards to the glitches and tricks you can use. If you want to mess around a bit, that trick where I use a bomb to explode myself off ledges? That's way more potent in MM3D, you go a bit farther than in regular MM. There's something called Mask Storage that's new, that essentially lets you delay putting on a transformation mask after you press the button, you can get on Epona as any form that way pretty easily. And most significantly, the hot springs water trick I used to get the rock sirloin is WAY more interesting in MM3D, you can use it to warp into all kinds of places, similar to Wrong Warping in OoT.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
Sorry, I was being a bit hyperbolic there, I've honestly had a much easier time following what you've been doing than most runs I've watched. I just have a hard time keeping track of what each trick is/does and hey I learn some stuff from it and it's cool to watch the game be so broken and still somehow stick together.

I tried ending the backflip on the switch (you actually need to backflip twice from my understanding of it, so I don't think you can both start and end on it) but the cutscene breaks the glitch (or perhaps it could be said it fixes it?). You need to be holding a bottle, backflip and while backflipping use a mask and raise your shield but if you land on the button and trigger the cutscene, rather than causing the glitch it just causes you to put the mask on as usual after the cutscene plays out. From what I read you can use mask storage to put a bottle on the B button and you can then trigger time stop the same way you did in your video. It took me long enough to do the first method for now though, but I might try some other time.

I think the fact that I understand what I'm writing here and am interested in figuring out more of it is a testament to how useful your videos are, so thanks.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorKill posted:

What!! This isn't good, I've been trying to explain everything I do! Is there specific stuff you didn't get? I can probably explain it more in depth.

I have read/seen some of the glitches you show off, but not even close to all of them. And because you explain everything as you do it, it's actually quite easy to follow. Sometimes you do a bunch of glitches in a row and then it can be a bit hard to keep track of things, but your explanations catch up quickly enough so no problem.

I mean, the reason I don't post much in your LP threads is because while you keep saying people can ask any questions, I really don't have many. Your explanations are clear.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Ok well that's good. I just get worried about my explanations because I have a habit of stumbling over my words sometimes. I also occasionally fall into that trap of assuming some of the things I do are completely normal, since I'm so used to doing it that way, but I usually try to catch myself. That's totally why I forgot to mention a few things though! Like skipping the pirates. Glad it's coming through though.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I usually catch the explanation when I'm not spending the entire video going :aaaaa: but I mostly don't understand the specifics behind it. All I know is that you just did some real cool poo poo.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I love watching you tear these games to shreads. If you still need a commentator I'm down for an episode.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
In regards to the Razor Sword: It will revert back to the Kokiri blade, but it's only after 100 HITS, not just swings/slashes. It also doesn't go back to the First Day with you if you use the Song of Time. I used it for one temple in the 64 version and after a while it reverted. After that the only time I get it is just to get the Gilded Sword.

I'm enjoying seeing what you're doing with the game though. The upside-down fairy was surprising, I figured it would just load with the screen orientation

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's too bad the Razor Sword has its 100 hit limitation because it has one of the most unique sword designs in the whole Zelda series in my opinion. Actually it's probably the most unique because I can't think of any other sword that's like it other than the Fierce Deity Sword.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

FPzero posted:

It's too bad the Razor Sword has its 100 hit limitation because it has one of the most unique sword designs in the whole Zelda series in my opinion. Actually it's probably the most unique because I can't think of any other sword that's like it other than the Fierce Deity Sword.

Agreed. The Razor Sword design is really neat, but I would have liked to be able to get it without the limitation as a middle upgrade to the Kokiri sword. Gilded sword is cool, but it just doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal.

Then again I missed being able to change swords and shields like OoT

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So since this thread got me probated can I guest on an episode so I can stare slack-jawed at you breaking this game while saying MGSV spoilers the entire time?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

So since this thread got me probated can I guest on an episode so I can stare slack-jawed at you breaking this game while saying MGSV spoilers the entire time?

make the time counter return to zero

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every owl statue must include information about where it is so the game can spawn you in the right place. The "hidden" owl statue doesn't have that information filled out correctly, so you get "random" data instead (not actually random, just not pulled from a valid owl statue data record), which happens to dump you in the mayor's office. That part at least is straightforward.

This is from a little while back but I did learn a little bit more about the hidden owl recently. Not enough to explain 0th day! But whenever you save at an owl statue it saves which owl statue you save at (which equals Mayor's House for the hidden one) but a different value is set to 1 to identify that you did in fact use an owl to save and to spawn you at that owl location. Whenever you load the owl save, this value is then reset to 0. But when you save at the hidden owl, this value does not get reset like it should, so new cycles always start at the Mayor's house. If you could prevent this value from being reset at other instances then every cycle reset would start you back at the last owl statue you saved at. The cutscene that resets this value by the way is the cutscene that played when I played Song of Soaring for the first time, the cutscene that plays when you load up an owl save.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Also, the 3-day challenge LP that ran here a month or two ago showed a neat thing with the New Wave Bossa Nova cutscene -- it's possible (I forget how, exactly) to switch which instrument you can use for it. In particular, you can learn the song with the Deku pipes. Normally the game tries to force you to use the guitar instead.

Also this, yeah I figured it out and its simple, instead of playing Song of Time like I did when I paused you can just buffer in putting on a mask, and you'll learn it as that form. You can also just soar away, I don't know if I mentioned that. I just didn't have the song at the time. Presumably you could also pause buffer your way to the door and leave, but that's probably not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Yes but my only condition is that after you say each spoiler you have to compare it to a spoiler from another piece of fiction and complain that MGSV totally stole it from there.

• Locked thread