Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I want that more than you can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'd watch that. Hell I want to play that myself.

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015
I'm a fan of randomizers. As a bonus, that sounds awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So can this randomizer put, say, the bow where you'd normally get the Fierce Deity Mask? :v:

I'd definitely at least check such an LP out. Your production values have been good with your main videos, but streaming (especially if you're going to do live commentary) is a different bag. But hey, if you feel you can do it justice, then go for it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Do it. That sounds amazing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yes I love this idea, please do it.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
Do it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
You absolutely should.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I'd love to see it. Go hog wild.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do it and also try to give us a live insight into your routing process as the game continually fucks you over.

Do it with this stipulation.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Wow ok, didn't expect such a quick response. I'll go ahead and do that then.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So can this randomizer put, say, the bow where you'd normally get the Fierce Deity Mask? :v:

I'd definitely at least check such an LP out. Your production values have been good with your main videos, but streaming (especially if you're going to do live commentary) is a different bag. But hey, if you feel you can do it justice, then go for it.

So I'll probably talk about it when I play it, but it seems there are some checks to avoid impossible situations. Obviously you can't check all possible situations so there could be some issues. But yes I think that can happen, it's not a problem though.

And yeah I've streamed and talked while doing races and stuff, so I'm not too concerned, but I'm not sure the best way to both stream and upload to youtube. Ideally I'd want to stream lower quality while recording high quality, for both audio and video, but I don't really know the best way to do that. So I might just not stream, I'm still thinking about it.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 12, 2015

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

DoctorKill posted:

And yeah I've streamed and talked while doing races and stuff, so I'm not too concerned, but I'm not sure the best way to both stream and upload to youtube. Ideally I'd want to stream lower quality while recording high quality, for both audio and video, but I don't really know the best way to do that. So I might just not stream, I'm still thinking about it.

Xsplit lets you set your bitrate for video and audio, streaming and local recording individually. You can stream at 1000 kbps and you can record at 3000 kbps if you want, for example.

I don't know a thing about OBS if you use that instead, though.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do it and also try to give us a live insight into your routing process as the game continually fucks you over.

Absolutely this. It's good that the randomizer has some sanity checks, or we'd potentially have a Chaos Mode on our hands (well I'd watch that too).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Maple Leaf posted:

Xsplit lets you set your bitrate for video and audio, streaming and local recording individually. You can stream at 1000 kbps and you can record at 3000 kbps if you want, for example.

I don't know a thing about OBS if you use that instead, though.

It totally does let you do that too. :D

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just found this thread. I really enjoyed the OOT thread, looking forward to bingeing your videos this weekend.

Are we still doing the spoiler gimmick? If so...Sega's desperate last push to remain relevant in the console race produced a system with a fantastic library and ahead-of-its-time features that still died an early death at the hands of the Playstation 2, but left many classic games as its legacy.

That's a spoiler for anyone reading up on the history of the console wars.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DoctorKill posted:

Wow ok, didn't expect such a quick response. I'll go ahead and do that then.

So I'll probably talk about it when I play it, but it seems there are some checks to avoid impossible situations. Obviously you can't check all possible situations so there could be some issues. But yes I think that can happen, it's not a problem though.

Having watched the first couple of OoT videos you did, I think I can say that your LP really hit a better stride when you had a guest to explain things to and bounce conversation off of. If you're looking to still have guest commentary available, you can always stream with someone there to be amazed at the situations you get into. There's also a way to use a program called VoiceMeeter to send the audio of whatever's happening on your computer through a Skype call for instance, meaning you could have one person in a call with you viewing what you're doing through Skype screen share and also hearing the game audio, all without having to run a stream at the same time. I'm working out this exact setup for a project Faerie Fortune and I are planning and she's the one that taught me how this VoiceMeeter setup works. I know she also uses it for her Pikmin LPs.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Oh yeah I definitely plan on having co-commentators for this as well, having guests makes it more fun. And I've looked into all that, I think I could set up a skype stream like that just fine, but doing a livestream would also be cool I think. Still working that out though.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Definitely, routing out stuff is probably my favorite part about glitching honestly.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I'd be interested in guest commentating for the randomizer run. I've thought of offering for the main LP but my commentary style is very snarky and smartassy, and you've got a lot to explain and don't need me getting in the way of that.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorKill posted:

Majora's Mask Randomizer.

Does that sound interesting to you guys? Is it worth doing?

Oh my god they did it with Majora's Mask?!

I tried the Zelda 1 randomizer and it was insane, triforce pieces were in regular kill rooms! This'll be twice as insane I bet.

I enjoy doing co-commentary quite a bit myself, as well, so I'd be interested.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ephraim225 posted:

I tried the Zelda 1 randomizer and it was insane, triforce pieces were in regular kill rooms! This'll be twice as insane I bet.

I enjoy doing co-commentary quite a bit myself, as well, so I'd be interested.

Is there one for Link to the Past? I'd be interested in playing that.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I've commented before, I'll comment again. It sounds interesting and fun.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
If you're willing to reach back in the co-commentator recycle bin I'd totally be down to commentate again for a randomizer. I've never watched a randomizer run for MM, that'd be pretty fun to see and do!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I would... like to comment on a video. If you'll have me.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Late to the party here but I've never really heard of a randomized item order and that sounds perfect.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I would be down for commentary if possible.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Always up for some sweet Zelda action. I could watch you break these games apart all day.

Uh, in a platonic way, of course.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

If randomization works for Toejam and Earl, I can't wait to see how it works for Majora's Mask!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Zeikier posted:

If randomization works for Toejam and Earl, I can't wait to see how it works for Majora's Mask!

Can't wait to see him go crazy looking for the bow only to find it in a chest in a hole in Termina Field.

Or, you know, in the Great Bay Temple behind an eye door.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Ice Arrows from Cycle One to the rescue!

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Ephraim225 posted:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Can't wait to see him go crazy looking for the bow only to find it in a chest in a hole in Termina Field.

Just to clarify, while I haven't played the Zelda 1 randomizer, I don't think the MM randomizer is as whimsical. It only randomizes inventory items among themselves, so it's not like random rupee chests will now have an important item. All important items are just a different important item. It's still pretty disjointed but not to a crazy extent.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's probably for the best. Majora's Mask can get pretty obtuse with its puzzles sometimes, not to mention the potential to be screwed over by a major item being in any random chest would be very high I'd imagine.

This coming from someone who has played a randomizer of Metroid Prime.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FPzero posted:

This coming from someone who has played a randomizer of Metroid Prime.

How on earth would that work? There's only two chances to get the missile launcher (space jump and the actual launcher) that I can think of before you're stuck. I'd love to see someone do a run off this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

pointlessone posted:

How on earth would that work? There's only two chances to get the missile launcher (space jump and the actual launcher) that I can think of before you're stuck. I'd love to see someone do a run off this.

It's very hard.

Serious answer, by default it does not randomize the locations of Morph Ball, Missile Launcher and Bombs so you have some chance to progress. However, a lot of settings you will need to have extensive knowledge of the glitches and out of bounds travel methods, otherwise known as wallcrawling. There is a setting on the randomizer that doesn't require any wallcrawling but you still might need to know some of the more basic, less technical speedrun and sequence breaking tricks. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun to blow open a wall in Chozo Ruins and get Plasma Beam.

Most runs are impossible due to beams being trapped behind areas you need that beam to get into but the randomizer can now check for impossible wins and just generate a new run without you even having to play it. It's still very hard.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Does the MM randomizer work such that without abusing bugs the game is always winnable?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does the MM randomizer work such that without abusing bugs the game is always winnable?

Without abusing bugs is it actually possible to break the main sequence at all? I mean I guess the randomizer could hypothetically put a bunch of key items in place of all the easy-to-get masks (Bremen, Kafei, etc.) to keep you from getting stuck, but Majora's Mask isn't really intended to be a nonlinear game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

DoctorKill posted:

Just to clarify, while I haven't played the Zelda 1 randomizer, I don't think the MM randomizer is as whimsical. It only randomizes inventory items among themselves, so it's not like random rupee chests will now have an important item. All important items are just a different important item. It's still pretty disjointed but not to a crazy extent.

Hahahaha you really have no idea.

I tried it out and it made buying green potions give me a bottle of gold dust. I also got the Goron Mask instead of the Deku Mask, and the banker gave me the bow instead of the wallet. Looks like I'm doing Snowhead first. Hope the Fire Arrows weren't moved. Oh yeah, your filename is also the random seed for this, so you'll presumably get the same result if your filename is "Link" like mine.

I think the randomizer might lead to some interesting dungeon orders, and you'll probably be able to sequence break them a bit. Though I don't expect much from the dungeons, they're probably the same as always.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Hey y'all, time for a new episode! With me this time is Azzanadra, and together we steal from all the dead in Ikana and solve Woodfall's problems.

Part 7: Grave Rob Em, Blaze Problems, Slaying Mobs Like It's Sodom

I think Woodfall temple is less impressive than all the other ones, probably because it's supposed to be the first temple, but there's still a few good tricks. Next time I'll actually go ahead and kill Gohma GYORG, and also get the Couple's Mask, which takes up most of the episode actually. It's a really long sidequest.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 15, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What happens if you keep duping bottles beyond six? Will they start to take over the inventory screen like duplicating hearts does?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

DoctorKill posted:

Next time I'll actually go ahead and kill Gohma,

I know this is a typo, but wow, that would be an impressive glitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Mak0rz posted:

What happens if you keep duping bottles beyond six? Will they start to take over the inventory screen like duplicating hearts does?

No, it just keeps overwriting the first bottle slot.

• Locked thread