Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

adaz posted:

You can do only do that a handful of times a game before you are out of challenges. I don't really think it's that big of an issue.

I agree in principle but actually applying it in a way that 1) does not cause as many problems as it's solves 2) doesn't completely kill the watch ability of the game seems impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

AsInHowe posted:

Yes.

Seriously though, besides "it's deeply ingrained in people", what makes the NFL entertaining? It's horribly corporate and generic, and ultimately everything is about some stupid media-driven bullshit that isn't even about the actual game.

I don't care about a league-initiated witch hunt for a star player. I don't care about a grandstanding doofus who only cares about profits but is too dumb to actually create a worthwhile product. And I especially don't care for games that come down to something stupid rather than the actual game and actual teams.

I'd much rather care about college football, where it is at least fun even when your team is bad, and it's awesome when your team is good. Even a bad college football game is fun to go to, and the variety in the teams makes everything interesting and fun. Teams and schools actually have a personality. And, when Michigan plays Michigan State in two weeks, it's most likely going to come down to the actual game on the field, instead of something stupid deciding the outcome to take all fun away.

as bad as the NFL is as an entity, the NCAA is 10x worse

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

NC-17 posted:

That sucks. But on the other hand whatever, it's not like the Lions played so well and then had a win stolen out from under them.

yes, the team that was only three points down that would have had the ball six inches from the goal line with under two minutes to play wasn't going to win anyway, excellent analysis

I mean seriously, the offense was dogshit but the defense played pretty drat well and to see their effort squandered because of a loving missed penalty in spite of the dogshit offense is just heartbreaking.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

yes, the team that was only three points down that would have had the ball six inches from the goal line with under two minutes to play wasn't going to win anyway, excellent analysis

I mean seriously, the offense was dogshit but the defense played pretty drat well and to see their effort squandered because of a loving missed penalty in spite of the dogshit offense is just heartbreaking.

haha wow salty??

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ross Angeles posted:

as bad as the NFL is as an entity, the NCAA is 10x worse

The NCAA is worse, but actual radical change is coming.

Besides, as a Michigan fan, we had an rear end in a top hat CEO running the athletic department, and he was run out of town so vociferously, he had to move to New Jersey. Everyone knows the NCAA is bad, but the cracks are visible and things will be taken down in the near-future.

Meanwhile, the NFL will have ginger tattletale Roger Goodell for decades to come.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

The SituAsian posted:

I agree in principle but actually applying it in a way that 1) does not cause as many problems as it's solves 2) doesn't completely kill the watch ability of the game seems impossible.

Ross had a good point as to why not just review every play like in college, sure, and why not give it a shot in some preseason games. If it's totally terrible then sure, why not kill it. It's just we're so worried about the ability to watch games and yet we have all these totally unnecessary TV timeouts that are already killing the ability to watch games and doing nothing to improve the quality of the games themselves.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i believe it was squandered via the megatron fumble, not some technicality after the fact

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
Oh lions, I ate a mediocre hamburger at a bww just to watch this? Here's hoping they fire the owner!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

With how the Lions offense played they were just as likely to fumble the handoff as to score on the following play.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

nice SB 49 fan fic, OP.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tweak posted:

i believe it was squandered via the megatron fumble, not some technicality after the fact

that was a great play by Kam more than a fumble by megatron too. kam's play in a vacuum was amazing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

The NCAA is worse, but actual radical change is coming.

Besides, as a Michigan fan, we had an rear end in a top hat CEO running the athletic department, and he was run out of town so vociferously, he had to move to New Jersey. Everyone knows the NCAA is bad, but the cracks are visible and things will be taken down in the near-future.

Meanwhile, the NFL will have ginger tattletale Roger Goodell for decades to come.

I'd disagree about the "near" part. It's gonna take a while because that's how things go.

Also, you're a Michigan fan. I think you might feel a bit differently if you weren't a fan of a major power conference team with an amazing coach. You actually have hopes and legitimate paths to a championship in the coming years. The Chargers will win 10 superbowls before SDSU ever sniffs the college football playoff

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

AsInHowe posted:

Yes.

Seriously though, besides "it's deeply ingrained in people", what makes the NFL entertaining? It's horribly corporate and generic, and ultimately everything is about some stupid media-driven bullshit that isn't even about the actual game.

I don't care about a league-initiated witch hunt for a star player. I don't care about a grandstanding doofus who only cares about profits but is too dumb to actually create a worthwhile product. And I especially don't care for games that come down to something stupid rather than the actual game and actual teams.

I'd much rather care about college football, where it is at least fun even when your team is bad, and it's awesome when your team is good. Even a bad college football game is fun to go to, and the variety in the teams makes everything interesting and fun. Teams and schools actually have a personality. And, when Michigan plays Michigan State in two weeks, it's most likely going to come down to the actual game on the field, instead of something stupid deciding the outcome to take all fun away.

Yeah but some of us like defense...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

adaz posted:

Ross had a good point as to why not just review every play like in college, sure, and why not give it a shot in some preseason games. If it's totally terrible then sure, why not kill it. It's just we're so worried about the ability to watch games and yet we have all these totally unnecessary TV timeouts that are already killing the ability to watch games and doing nothing to improve the quality of the games themselves.

I don't understand the "watchability" aspect. They already do it in college and it's barely even noticeable

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

nerve posted:

that was a great play by Kam more than a fumble by megatron too. kam's play in a vacuum was amazing

This is worth repeating. The Lions are trash but that was a good play, because Johnson is one hell of a player too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

There are a lot of good defenses in college football. Moreso than the NFL in fact.

Just don't watch Big 12 games

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

It's understandable that the individual Back Judge might not have known the specifics of the rule. But it's inexcusable that neither the Side or Field Judge—both of whom also saw it—called a conference and then made the call on the field before it went to review.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

You're talking to a Big 10 fan, he'll claim they play a lot of defense instead of just not knowing how to play offense.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The Bengals are going to shithouse the Seahawks. It's karma.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sent from my iPad posted:

It's understandable that the individual Back Judge might not have known the specifics of the rule. But it's inexcusable that neither the Side or Field Judge—both of whom also saw it—called a conference and then made the call on the field before it went to review.

The back judge saw it and apparently thought it wasn't obvious enough.

The back judge is Seattle's 12s man.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
As a gophers fan, I personally believe college football is bullshit and should be burned to the ground. Much like my hopes and dreams.

E: asinhowe sounds way too much like my dad to not be my dad.

Piggles
Oct 10, 2006

Wilson with the Hail Mary to Tate!

Sent from my iPad posted:

I was at the game, you're saying it wasn't reviewed!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ross Angeles posted:

I'd disagree about the "near" part. It's gonna take a while because that's how things go.

Also, you're a Michigan fan. I think you might feel a bit differently if you weren't a fan of a major power conference team with an amazing coach. You actually have hopes and legitimate paths to a championship in the coming years. The Chargers will win 10 superbowls before SDSU ever sniffs the college football playoff

We had said rear end in a top hat CEO from 2011-2014, and he was fired in an humiliating way because college sports are different than the pros. Those hopes and legitimate paths to a championship were literally created by the community out of sheer will and determination.

Honestly, it's going to be a big conference/little conference split as part of the NCAA reforms.

Seriously though, I think I've only watched two full NFL games all year, and maybe only a handful of snippets of other live NFL game action. Once it doesn't mean that much any more, it's not hard to fill up the time elsewhere.

Eifert Posting posted:

Then watch the Big Ten, where Michigan is shutting out opponents, Michigan State turns 2-star recruits into first-round draft picks, and Ohio State plays just well enough to not lose.

If you want nothing but offense, watch the Big 12.

If you want quick offense that can turn into balanced shootouts, watch the Pac 12.

Heck, if you want a bunch of little dudes running a gimmick offense to perfection, watch Air Force.

The variety of college football is what makes it fun. That, and actually going to games and having a good time.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

As a gophers fan, I personally believe college football is bullshit and should be burned to the ground. Much like my hopes and dreams.

The Big Ten West is a wide-open division with no good longtime powers, and if Minnesota wins that, they essentially play a worn-down Michigan/MSU/Ohio State for a spot in the college football playoffs, where anything can presumably happen.

Minnesota isn't really in that bad of spot.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Piggles posted:

I was at the game, you're saying it wasn't reviewed!
Change of possession is automatically reviewed, but batting specifically isn't reviewable because the NFL is stupid. They have to make the right call on the field.

...which is what they should have done, since they can take a minute to have a conference before throwing a flag.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AsInHowe posted:

Yes.

the actual media platform of the nfl is horrid
the announcers, the ads, the nfl media culture, the presentation, you name it

what keeps people interested is the social aspect of it. All your friends are lions fans so you're a lions fan too so you can talk about their most recent poo poo show with your pals (internet or otherwise)
who goes to games alone? no-one.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

E: asinhowe sounds way too much like my dad to not be my dad.

He's a Michigan fan. We all sound like we're 87 years old

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Those hopes and legitimate paths to a championship were literally created by the community out of sheer will and determination.

lol at the whole post but especially at this part

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The prodigal son is returning: the Bucs are working out Connor "I tore my ACL playing a charity basketball" Barth tomorrow. I thought he was already signed and cut by someone else this season for some reason but no, he was signed to a 2-year deal in Tampa during the preseason, cut, and now they're probably going to hire him again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Heck, if you want a bunch of little dudes running a gimmick offense to perfection, watch Air Force.

no don't watch Air Force, watch Navy or Georgia Southern (who don't run the same gimmick but their gimmick owns super hard)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
College football does actually really suck if your team sucks. Of the times where I've put down money to watch the gophers, they've won once, the crowd is dead and sad drunks pray that we only lose to Wisconsin by thirty. I'm undergoing the opposite this year as I'm becoming dissatisfied with NCAA.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Please don't support people ever watching or supporting the loving triple option

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

Please don't support people ever watching or supporting the loving triple option

triple option owns and is way better than whatever poo poo-tier offense SDSU is throwing out there

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Ross Angeles posted:

I agree with you Ross. I prefer runs up the gut on 3rd and 17

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ross Angeles posted:

The triple option is the most beautiful thing in football when it's working.

It's the ugliest thing in football when it isn't working.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

College football does actually really suck if your team sucks. Of the times where I've put down money to watch the gophers, they've won once, the crowd is dead and sad drunks pray that we only lose to Wisconsin by thirty. I'm undergoing the opposite this year as I'm becoming dissatisfied with NCAA.

Yeah, I love my school but going to Qualcomm to see it a third full as SDSU flails around on offense on the field, running an offense that was popular in 1960 in the NFL, just isn't fun. At all.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Alaois posted:

triple option owns and is way better than whatever poo poo-tier offense SDSU is throwing out there

The lowest of bars

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

besides, the FRITZ SPREAD is way better

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

AsInHowe posted:

And, when Michigan plays Michigan State in two weeks, it's most likely going to come down to the actual game on the field, instead of something stupid deciding the outcome to take all fun away.

Someone go get Thoguh to come in here and show off the Iowa State apology letter wall

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

maker posted:

I went to a vikings-broncos pre season game once to see tim tebow in his rookie year because the bus home went by the stadium and I hopped off and got a $3 ticket on impulse.

Was fun, pro football is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Minnesota's not that bad, and can actually make something of themselves in a weak division. They aren't perpetually doomed like Rutgers and Maryland or something. Minnesota's actually on the rise.

Ross Angeles posted:

Yeah, I love my school but going to Qualcomm to see it a third full as SDSU flails around on offense on the field, running an offense that was popular in 1960 in the NFL, just isn't fun. At all.

The problem here is that you're going to an empty NFL stadium, which isn't even fun when full.

maker posted:

the actual media platform of the nfl is horrid
the announcers, the ads, the nfl media culture, the presentation, you name it

what keeps people interested is the social aspect of it. All your friends are lions fans so you're a lions fan too so you can talk about their most recent poo poo show with your pals (internet or otherwise)

What keeps people interested is force of habit. But once the habit is broken, poo poo.

• Locked thread