Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

AVclub posted:

Try to explain Nathan For You to somebody who’s never seen it, and you’ll find that it defies easy description. Where do you begin? There’s the stated premise: A business-school graduate helps struggling companies get on their feet. Except the plans he comes up with are really elaborate pranks. Except the pranks typically become experiments in human nature. Oh, and the host is a socially clumsy man-child who shouldn’t be on TV, but he’s really a brilliant comedian who’s just pretending, mostly.

When I’m proselytizing on behalf of Nathan For You, I tend to rattle through inadequate half-explanations like this. It’s no use. I end up boring my friends and frustrating myself with my inability to capture the show’s magic. It’s pointless. So now I simply say that Nathan For You is not only one of the funniest series I’ve ever seen, but it’s also the most honest reality show on TV.
Season 3 Trailer
Nathan's Twitter
CC's site for streaming and such

Oh, also the first two seasons are coming out on DVD next month. There's a bunch of cool extras but most importantly you'll get one of these posters with your order.

Season 3 will start October 15.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This show is pretty good. Almost as good as Review. We should watch it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh drat, I was wondering just the other day when/if there was gonna be a third season of Nathan For You. I guess he kept things lowkey during filming because there hasn't been anything that's gone viral like Dumb Starbucks did during the creation of the second season.

Cavauro posted:

This show is pretty good. Almost as good as Review. We should watch it.
I'm convinced that nothing can be as beautiful as the second season of Review. That's not a knock at Nathan For You, because that also kept bringing its A game during every episode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Y-Hat posted:

I guess he kept things lowkey during filming because there hasn't been anything that's gone viral like Dumb Starbucks did during the creation of the second season.
The trailer has something about a Best Buy lawsuit but yeah, I think they stayed away from anything that makes a public splash like Dumb Starbucks on this one.

Although, nobody knew the show had created the Hero Pig video that went viral before the first season aired, so who knows.

Y-Hat posted:

I'm convinced that nothing can be as beautiful as the second season of Review. That's not a knock at Nathan For You, because that also kept bringing its A game during every episode.
Yeah, before Review's 2nd season I had trouble deciding which show was my favorite. Doubt they can top that but both are really unique and fantastically executed in their own way.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
October 15 is finally here!

Nathan gave an interview to Bonnie Teti of the AVClub -- Jon Teti's mom, who hated him and didn't get his style of humour at all at the outset -- that is so wonderfully Nathan that it's hard to describe. Tense, weird, personal, and oddly touching by the end.

Highlight:

quote:

BT: I would like to either know that we, as the watchers, are in on the joke with you. Because I feel like you want me to be part of the people that are foolish.

NF: I don’t—well, who do you find foolish in the show?

BT: The people that participate. The poor real estate lady that surprisingly fell into, I guess, gold comedy, and when they showed your reaction, you were taking a picture of her. [In the episode “Mechanic/Realtor,” Nathan hires an exorcist to cleanse a house and its realtor of evil spirits. Nathan snaps a photo on his phone while the realtor is in the midst of her startlingly traumatic exorcism. —Ed.]

NF: Well, that moment in particular, I didn’t even know how to comprehend it. That was an instinct of mine in that moment to take a photo, I guess. Some people view the show that way, and that’s totally valid, but personally, I don’t find the people involved in the show, for the most part, to be foolish. They come across to me as very sweet and endearing most of the time. Especially that real estate lady.

BT: I thought she was, too, but then I felt like you were very removed from her. Why didn’t you just look into the camera with a “What the hell?” But you took out your camera to take a picture of her. I thought that was very removed.

NF: You wanted me to look at the camera that was filming me and give a look?

BT: Yes. Because I wanted you to say to me, as the viewer, “Holy crap! What’s going on here?”

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 15, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soothing Vapors posted:

October 15 is finally here!

Nathan gave an interview to Bonnie Teti of the AVClub -- Jon Teti's mom, who hated him and didn't get his style of humour at all at the outset -- that is so wonderfully Nathan that it's hard to describe. Tense, weird, personal, and oddly touching by the end.

Highlight:

If I didn't know better I'd think Teti's mom was flipping the act on Nathan.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If I didn't know better I'd think Teti's mom was flipping the act on Nathan.

Yeah this kind of marks where I wasn't sure she was being genuine, though admittedly this is very funny.

quote:

NF: What’s the most funny to you, Bonney? What do you find the most funny?

BT: I’m gonna tell you, Nathan, the thing I find the most funny is a fat woman on a rope swing on America’s Funniest Home Videos.

NF: [Laughs.] Okay.

BT: How about you?

NF: Um—does she fall, or is she just on a rope?

BT: Oh, my God. You can’t picture a fat woman grabbing onto a rope swing and the disaster that happens?

JT: Well, what does happen, Mom?

BT: Oh, the tree branch breaks. She falls into the river, but she falls on her behind, and oh, my God, it’s the funniest thing in the whole world!

Moltke
May 13, 2009
This is the funniest show on TV. Can't wait for the premiere tonight!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Also from that interview, and this maybe isn't the place for it, but this articulates my own cancer experience better than I've ever been able to.

quote:

BT: I am happy. You know, I had a bout with some cancer last winter that is all gone. It was a very traumatic thing for my family, and I do try to remember to be happy every day.

NF: Well, congratulations for getting through that. It’s all gone?

BT: It’s gone. It was gone in a couple of weeks.

NF: That’s quite a scare. When it happened, where was your mind at? When you got this diagnosis, what were you thinking?

BT: I thought, “Well, that’s it. I’m gone.” But it wasn’t that kind of cancer, so they just cut it off—it was on my stomach—and they cut it out, and it was gone! Then I didn’t know how to act. I didn’t want to tell people that I was a cancer survivor because I never really let it come into my mind that I had it. So I never really told anyone.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I am excited about this idea. I can't decide whether it's illegal, impossible, or just really really impractical. Or all three.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The true best CC show of its golden age returns once more. Get your hypest, gang.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Two foot door. Alligators.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is pretty incredible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

5 minutes in and this is goddamn fantastic already.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Well I for one expect this to go very well.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
His negotiation skills.

"I'm going to count to 3 and then I'm going to leave."

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I missed this show so much.

EDIT: I can't believe he keeps getting this judge to be on the show.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 16, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god the mesh sleeves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I need more Goth Nathan.

And a follow up with Alan's love life.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Companies like Best Buy and Enron

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I thought the part where he tricked Alan into getting certified as insane for the lawsuit was uncharacteristically mean for the show (even with Nathan's tendency of getting carried away with his schemes) but then the end turned it around completely.

I tried to look up how many episodes this season's gonna have and stumbled on next week's description Nathan comes up with a way for a ranch to accommodate overweight riders; a women's boutique attempts to appease male customers; Nathan may have committed a hate crime. That last part sounds like it's gonna be amazing.

Also Nathan's gonna be back on Tom Scharpling's Best Show next week where he's one of my favorite guests. His previous appearance has a lot of talk about the show's process and such, it's from after season 1 ended. Scroll down to the Juli 2, 2013 ep here.

Oh and from his twitter, this is appearantly a real thing.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 16, 2015

Moltke
May 13, 2009

anotherone posted:

Companies like Best Buy and Enron

Came here to post this, the best line from this episode.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I love how the first guy that went to the premium TV section saw the alligator, stared at it for a few seconds, then decided it wasn't worth it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Sammus posted:

I love how the first guy that went to the premium TV section saw the alligator, stared at it for a few seconds, then decided it wasn't worth it.

The only thing that could have made it better was if the "deal" somehow ended up on Fatwallet or Slickdeals.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sammus posted:

I know I would have considered going for it.

Also that ending was actually really sweet. :3:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The alligator was less of an obstacle than the little door which the TVs would never have fit through.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was hoping someone would make a gif of this.

Nathan was supposed to be on The Best Show this week but they had technical difficulties.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 17, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Best Buy plan is the best terrible idea.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Does anyone know if/when the DVD/Bluray of the first seasons are coming to Europe?

vvvv Cool, thanks

Per fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 17, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I put a link to the Shout! Factory site in the OP, they'll release the first two seasons next month and I'm pretty sure they ship internationally.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Forgot that the show had started back up until today. Amazing episode.

LostRook posted:

The alligator was less of an obstacle than the little door which the TVs would never have fit through.

Right, I always find myself thinking about the legality of stuff Nathan is doing when I watch the show and this seemed to be the fishiest part. How could the deal hold up if pressed in court if you actually can't bring the TV through the 2 foot door to the counter even if you brave the alligator crossing?

Then I always move on and just enjoy the show because it's hilarious

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Also Nathan's gonna be back on Tom Scharpling's Best Show next week where he's one of my favorite guests. His previous appearance has a lot of talk about the show's process and such, it's from after season 1 ended. Scroll down to the Juli 2, 2013 ep here.
Sadly it was just a phone interview after they couldn't make it work last week, still great. The one I linked before is him actually in the studio, answering random calls and it's one of my favorite call-in stretches in 15 years of the show.

Anyway, here's a link to yesterday's interview, it starts 90 minutes in.
http://thebestshow.net/

The only really interesting bit about the show was him saying he went through 7 months of physical training for whatever he does in this season's finale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Menamino posted:

Forgot that the show had started back up until today. Amazing episode.

Right, I always find myself thinking about the legality of stuff Nathan is doing when I watch the show and this seemed to be the fishiest part. How could the deal hold up if pressed in court if you actually can't bring the TV through the 2 foot door to the counter even if you brave the alligator crossing?

Then I always move on and just enjoy the show because it's hilarious

I would absolutely go past an alligator to get a giant TV for $1 because I'm pretty sure if the alligator attacked me I could have sued Comedy Central for literally millions.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I guessing if anyone tried to do it the producer or whoever was the highest ranking on the set would just be like 'gently caress it, here's a free tv.'

The best line of the show is when the first guy with the tux is leaving the store and Nathan is saying 'that's too bad because this is a dollar we're losing too.'

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 21, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I would absolutely go past an alligator to get a giant TV for $1 because I'm pretty sure if the alligator attacked me I could have sued Comedy Central for literally millions.

0% chance that door was actually unlocked, right?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PostNouveau posted:

0% chance that door was actually unlocked, right?

Yeah I imagine anyone who really had the balls would have gotten something from the producers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And there's a chance that someone did, it just wasn't shown. I'd love to see a full breakdown of one of the episodes, especially one like this where the whole episode revolves around one case (which I prefer). From the designing stage to then working out what will happen, to manipulating it so it goes to plan. It would be super interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

And there's a chance that someone did, it just wasn't shown. I'd love to see a full breakdown of one of the episodes, especially one like this where the whole episode revolves around one case (which I prefer). From the designing stage to then working out what will happen, to manipulating it so it goes to plan. It would be super interesting.

:agreed:

It strikes me as more weird that there would have been nobody who went through the door.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
This might be an unpopular opinion for the goons of TV IV, but I don't think a TV is worth risking serious injury, maiming, and death for, and I don't think the average person thinks so either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's what they want you to think.

• Locked thread