Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Brock Samson posted:

im going to die laughing

edit holy loving poo poo

edit sex talk noooooooooooooo

WITH HIS BROTHER

Somehow they did it. They topped last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I don't think anything in life could top this episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want an hourlong special of that guy walking Nathan through his age progressions.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The first idea was kinda weak at first because the guy was very transparently like "sure, I'll play along with your dumb poo poo if it gets my store on TV". Santa's return and Craigslist Age Progression Guy totally pulled it out though.

The second one was classic Nathan. Equal parts evil genius, prank show and "this sure is a weird and honest look into a random guy's life".

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I want an hourlong special of that guy walking Nathan through his age progressions.

That guy should go on a watchlist after this episode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
"okay ... uhm ... this is a boy"

"Well see the funny news about this is that I can make a boy into a girl."
"I'm just more concerned with accuracy."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this season is a work of art

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The old astronaut bit was so incredible. This show is magic.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
This show will be what kills me

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
There are no words for what this show is.

I thought I was going to die from "my wife and kids...they died in space, it was an accident".

Then there was sumo suit in the antique store by the dude that tag teams girls with his brother.

I'm not sure I can believe this is real from how often Nathan finds these insane people, but even if it's scripted it's the greatest work of fiction ever produced.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Those ridiculous tag-teaming brothers would have been great for his man-zone inside that women's clothing store.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
"He told me that an alien tried to pull him into the sun." :vince:

Nathan's fingerprints were all over Santa's talk with the boy and it just made it all the more fantastic to listen to him recite those absurd lines.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

seriously though: shout out to J Squad

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
age progression guy was clearly a Craigslist scammer which made this all the more hilarious

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This is the second show in a row where I'm feeling legitimately bad for the people he reels in. The fitness guy last week was left in a really bad spot - he'd basically lost his job with Nathan and was left awkwardly trying to sell himself to the moving company guy ("meet the only employee you'll ever need!") on what was basically a scam that neither of them really believed in.

This week, ordinary bro gets scammed out of two hundred bucks for the crime of hanging out with Nathan, thinking it was just a couple guys getting drunk and having a good time. I really hope Nathan gave him his money back when they wrapped up. :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

This is the second show in a row where I'm feeling legitimately bad for the people he reels in. The fitness guy last week was left in a really bad spot - he'd basically lost his job with Nathan and was left awkwardly trying to sell himself to the moving company guy ("meet the only employee you'll ever need!") on what was basically a scam that neither of them really believed in.

This week, ordinary bro gets scammed out of two hundred bucks for the crime of hanging out with Nathan, thinking it was just a couple guys getting drunk and having a good time. I really hope Nathan gave him his money back when they wrapped up. :(

Everyone gets paid to be on the show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

I wish there were more businesses that have a clear, tangible goal, like the exterminator guy trying to land a hotel gig

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Same. Also I think it was really messed up how all those people on the Sopranos committed murders and got away with it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Puppy Galaxy posted:

seriously though: shout out to J Squad

what's your favorite posish' bro?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Phenotype posted:

They cast for the people on the show, if you aren't aware how most reality TV shows work. They aren't just random poor innocent souls he is out there to scam and make them pay money to other businesses. And I'm sure they are compensated for their time as well. This is a blurb from Nathan about the people he tries to get on his show.

NATHAN posted:

In general, there seems to be an understanding that when participating in a reality show you're not going to get full information about what will happen so that authentic moments can be captured on camera. The people that appear comfortable with this are usually the ones we end up involving in the show - those that seem open to an experience or adventure that's different from their day-to-day life. Often in the casting process we'll encounter business owners that have lots of specific questions about the show and exactly what we're planning to do with them. Because going into a shoot we don't want participants knowing any of that or that it's a comedy show (as this would take away from them acting naturally), we usually end up avoiding these more controlling/protective personality types as the chances they're going to get very upset by an experience they aren't prepared for is much higher. And the goal is never to get people upset.

We've definitely had business owners that start to realize that the show isn't as straightforward as they first thought it would be (this probably happens with most of them), but we've only had it happen once where someone mid-way through shooting realized exactly what the show was. For that segment, we ended up having to re-shoot it with another business since it was difficult to continue after that.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Brock Samson posted:

Are you loving kidding me
nathan_for_you.txt

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They cast for the people on the show, if you aren't aware how most reality TV shows work. They aren't just random poor innocent souls he is out there to scam and make them pay money to other businesses. And I'm sure they are compensated for their time as well. This is a blurb from Nathan about the people he tries to get on his show.

So what keeps them from Googling the show or his name? I wonder if he gives them a different show name, or last name.

Actually most of the people seem clueless enough that even if they watched the show they would take it at face value.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That explains a bit about the business owners, but a lot of the customers feel like just whoever came by the store that day. I was picturing people like Tagteam Bro as just being some dude at a bar, and Nathan walks up with his camera team and asks him to help do a spot on the LA nightlife for a hundred bucks or whatever. What about, like, the people who went on the hike up Mt Chileo for the gas station refund? Or all the customers who bought a bunch of crap for the tourist shop/movie shoot?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Phenotype posted:

That explains a bit about the business owners, but a lot of the customers feel like just whoever came by the store that day. I was picturing people like Tagteam Bro as just being some dude at a bar, and Nathan walks up with his camera team and asks him to help do a spot on the LA nightlife for a hundred bucks or whatever. What about, like, the people who went on the hike up Mt Chileo for the gas station refund? Or all the customers who bought a bunch of crap for the tourist shop/movie shoot?

Yeah that quote doesn't seem to apply to the customers, just the business owners. For the customers and other extras I imagine they tell them whatever works best in the moment.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The one good thing about the show ending one day will be Nathan (hopefully) doing a big interview where he goes super deep into the show's process.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I mean, you may be weirded out by what the people are comfortable talking about, but like, clearly they aren't. I never get the vibe that anyone's portrayed in a way that's inaccurate anyways.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah that quote doesn't seem to apply to the customers, just the business owners. For the customers and other extras I imagine they tell them whatever works best in the moment.

There's no reason why you can't use random passers-by in a TV show, all you have to do is get them to sign a release afterwards. You don't have to pay them as far as I know. Either they are very good at casting actors who can do 100% genuine awkwardness like we see on the show or they are just actual members of the public who stumbled onto the show. They wouldn't explain beforehand what to do, they might just say we're shooting a TV show here, do you mind being in it, and get their signature afterwards.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Wandle Cax posted:

You don't have to pay them as far as I know.
And that's why every crappy sketch show ever has done Man On The Street segments.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I mean, you may be weirded out by what the people are comfortable talking about, but like, clearly they aren't. I never get the vibe that anyone's portrayed in a way that's inaccurate anyways.

It's not that I'm weirded out by them, I'm just curious how much they reveal to all the customers that go on. Like Tagteam Bro or the chick that met "Johnny Depp" and bought a hundred bucks worth of tourist garbage -- do they get their money back at the end of the show? What about the people that had a half dozen chickens poo poo on their car? It seems kinda mean-spirited if they don't, and they actually are scamming these people.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How long before this gets too popular for him to continue finding people that are clueless?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I love the show, but Nathan's thing must have a ceiling way lower than, like, Amy Schumer where that might be a problem.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

It's not that I'm weirded out by them, I'm just curious how much they reveal to all the customers that go on. Like Tagteam Bro or the chick that met "Johnny Depp" and bought a hundred bucks worth of tourist garbage -- do they get their money back at the end of the show? What about the people that had a half dozen chickens poo poo on their car? It seems kinda mean-spirited if they don't, and they actually are scamming these people.

The Johnny depp "extras" were all paid.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I don't know anyone who has ever heard of the show, including my brothers who both watch other Comedy Central shows. I can't see it being a problem any time soon.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Right, and the people who he is helping don't really seem to be the demographic that would watch a show like this to know about it anyway.

Unless he does some super crazy stunt that gives him Tom Green/Jackass status, I doubt that it'll be a problem.

Impractical jokers are on their sixth season and they can still find plenty of people who have no idea who they are.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 7, 2015

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Dumb Starbucks made all sorts of news and no one still has any idea who Nathan is.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

How long before this gets too popular for him to continue finding people that are clueless?

Ratings are also not so good

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 7, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Forever, Nathan for you is small niche comedy show on TV. :ssh:

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Fielder has the unassuming inoffensive Canadian thing down pat. He will forever blend into the crowd no matter how high-profile his stunts become because he is always so far removed from the stunts to begin with. The Movement had Garbarino as the figurehead. Hero Pig was a pig. He was the spokesperson for Dumb Starbucks and gave interviews on talk shows but Starbucks itself was the star and overshadowed his presence from the stunt's very conception. If anything Banksy got more press from the ordeal than Fielder just from people thinking it was him. It's really amazing to see in action how well this guy disappears into his act.

speshl guy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 7, 2015

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, I didn't know how this season would work out after all the Dumb Starbucks publicity. I guess it's just much easier to blend in if you're not a Sacha Baron Cohen character in a crazy outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'd say the extent of knowledge of the Dumb Starbucks went roughly like this for most people:

"It was that Banksy thing right? Oh it wasn't Banksy? ok."

• Locked thread