Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've actually brought up Dumb Starbucks a bunch of times when trying to explain the show to people and the most common response has been "huh?" or "oh yeah I think I heard about that". It also doesn't sound very funny when a third party is trying to explain it to someone who isn't familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NESguerilla posted:

I've actually brought up Dumb Starbucks a bunch of times when trying to explain the show to people and the most common response has been "huh?" or "oh yeah I think I heard about that". It also doesn't sound very funny when a third party is trying to explain it to someone who isn't familiar with it.

Yeah it almost comes off as just this weird story instead of an elaborate comedy bit. Even if they saw the episode they'd probably have to intersect on a lot of niche tastes in humor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zsinjeh posted:

I'd say the extent of knowledge of the Dumb Starbucks went roughly like this for most people:

"It was that Banksy thing right? Oh it wasn't Banksy? ok."

I think most people don't even know who Banksy is, at least, most people not in the UK.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I wear my Dumb Starbucks ballcap (had a friend around there when it happened) around a semi-boring Canadian city, have only really had 5 people pick it and the origin up since I started. People probably mostly assume it's just a Starbucks hat.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

I think most people don't even know who Banksy is, at least, most people not in the UK.

Who do u hang out with?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I think there's probably some accuracy in the statement that a majority of people don't know who Banksy is, but he's long since entered public consciousness and in fact any tableau-style gag is immediately attributed to him by the media regardless of improbability because he's the only recognizable name in street art.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

Nobody knows who he is.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I need that apple juice backpack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: that's the second time he's built a contraption to impractically suck drinks out from a tube.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This show is incredible. I just watched the 2nd and 3rd season on demand and it was great.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Yeah it almost comes off as just this weird story instead of an elaborate comedy bit. Even if they saw the episode they'd probably have to intersect on a lot of niche tastes in humor.
We did this thing where, you know, we put an alligator inside a small door. A small room, basically, with a small door. And we would have customers coming in to get a $1 TV, basically. So, and, the only thing they had to do was go—have, basically, a dress code. We had a dress code. So you have to be dressed nicely. Maybe a suit, tie, nice shoes.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I like the episodes where he seems to make a real connection with the small business owner better. Niky was completely unengaged and I found myself less engaged for it as well.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Krinkle posted:

I need that apple juice backpack.

I totally forgot about that until I read this. I wonder how much they spent on that, for a joke they just breezed right by and never mentioned again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Max22 posted:

We did this thing where, you know, we put an alligator inside a small door. A small room, basically, with a small door. And we would have customers coming in to get a $1 TV, basically. So, and, the only thing they had to do was go—have, basically, a dress code. We had a dress code. So you have to be dressed nicely. Maybe a suit, tie, nice shoes.

Clearly this man is delusional.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I've actually heard of this scheme being tried before.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He's taking it so far and I'm loving every second of it.

Edit: Nathan's so lonely :(

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 13, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Aw, Ellen's a sport about this.

EDIT: Okay I had my doubts but this went in a really cool direction.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 13, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't believe they pulled off the skateboard AND triple selfie. I loved that.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Watching the side by side screens, it was actually really impressive with how well-timed and spot on the actors were.

I have to say, I'm really loving these 1-business episodes. I love how it starts off with a simple premise (or at least, simple in terms of Nathan For You) then gains momentum until we get to the point that Nathan's trying to bring down Best Buy or putting on a big production play.

Wow. What a great episode. I just can't believe this is real.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nathan has gone from just asking everyone he meets to hang out with him to actually manipulating his own reality through his show. Those two AGAIN scenes were my favorite moments of the season so far.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The bar owner calling a play based exactly on a day of her life boring was amazing. And Nathan being creepy as poo poo with women never gets old.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That "again" I love you scene had everyone in the room crying from laughter at my place

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The "again" scenes (I can't believe he cried on command) and his interactions with smokers at the other bars were fantastic but this felt like more of a filler episode compared to everything else he's pulled off this season.

I don't think the authorities give much of a poo poo about a dive bar allowing smokers for two days.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That "again" I love you scene had everyone in the room crying from laughter at my place

Yeah that was so good. In like a strange funny sad way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Right, yeah, laughter. :smith:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The "again" scenes were pure strain awkward and I loved them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm catching up now, am up to that scene, and I gotta take breaks.
Watching this show is like being pinned to one of those butterfly collector's corkboard but you're impaled on someone else's awkwardness and you just kind of wiggle in place but you're not going anywhere and it won't end.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Krinkle posted:

I'm catching up now, am up to that scene, and I gotta take breaks.
Watching this show is like being pinned to one of those butterfly collector's corkboard but you're impaled on someone else's awkwardness and you just kind of wiggle in place but you're not going anywhere and it won't end.

That's the best way I've ever heard this show described. Although to be fair this is the first time this season he's been so incredibly awkward when last season it was just so uncomfortable so much of the time. Great show.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
This show is amazing. Just burned through whats out there on season 3. That old lady bartender was adorable. :3:

Are the 1st and 2nd season as good?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Chromatic posted:

This show is amazing. Just burned through whats out there on season 3. That old lady bartender was adorable. :3:

Are the 1st and 2nd season as good?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

I've been wondering the backstory on that production credit for years. Anybody know more about it?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Excellent news! Will probably start binging it later today or tomorrow.

Someone got ahold of the sweet lady bartender and got her to answer some questions. Nathan is either that awkward in real life or keeps his character going at all times.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nathanforyou/comments/3smvdr/was_able_to_talk_with_ellen_the_owner_of_the_bar/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Enderzero posted:

I've been wondering the backstory on that production credit for years. Anybody know more about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWorSepWyJQ

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Chromatic posted:

Someone got ahold of the sweet lady bartender and got her to answer some questions. Nathan is either that awkward in real life or keeps his character going at all times.

He would have to keep the character going all the time since he wouldn't know ahead of time which parts they'd be using during editing, and he wouldn't want to tip off the marks.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Enderzero posted:

See the video above. It's Tim Heidecker's dad.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

...again.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The fake bartender lady was a pro

"It's not fake, I loved it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I didn't expect Nathan to be a good enough actor to cry on command.

• Locked thread