Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D7RzUtFEps

this is me @ every escalator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah this is a whole different issue though. like i walk up escalators but i understand if you dont want to. but the purpose of moving walkways is to accelerate walking not save energy
It's kind of poorly designed if they didn't realize this was going to happen. You really only need one fat person with a big bag to block the whole thing and in a crowded airport at least one person on the conveyor is going to match that description at any given time.

They could have signs all around it that specifically say not to stand or something and maybe have a bored security officer telling people to move along but outside of that I don't think you're ever going to get everyone to cooperate and use them properly.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

djwetmouse posted:

It's built like a staircase so walking makes sense. If you want to stand move to the right. (or left I would assume in Europe)
Not a big deal.

Here so Obligatory Handle can sleep at night...

It's built like a staircase so walking makes sense. If you want to stand move to the right. (or left I would assume in Anguilla, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cyprus, East Timor, Hong Kong (Special Region of China), Indonesia, India, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Afghanistan, Botswana, Kenya,Botswana,Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Australia,
Christmas Island , Cocos , Cook Islands , Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island,Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga,Tuvalu,Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Malta, United Kingdom, Guyana, Suriname, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U. S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Maldives, Mauritius, and Seychelles.)
Not a big deal.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

EngineerSean posted:

while you're not looking this up, don't look up the video of the bouncy castle that gets blown away

I... I won't.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

It's kind of poorly designed if they didn't realize this was going to happen. You really only need one fat person with a big bag to block the whole thing and in a crowded airport at least one person on the conveyor is going to match that description at any given time.

They could have signs all around it that specifically say not to stand or something and maybe have a bored security officer telling people to move along but outside of that I don't think you're ever going to get everyone to cooperate and use them properly.

You could have sensors that detect if people stand still and then a spotlight illuminates them and a loud automated announcement calls them a fat lazy wanker imo.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Have you ever tried to go up an escalator in a klan robe?

The Imperial Wizard has cut the budget for robe repairs so it's best just to stand still until you get off the escalator.
Hold your skirt up until you're off the escalator.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Oberleutnant posted:

You could have sensors that detect if people stand still and then a spotlight illuminates them and a loud automated announcement calls them a fat lazy wanker imo.

The step they're on starts flashing colors and the lunk alarm plays.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a few weeks ago, i saw a group of teenagers break open the locked escalator on/off switch box and then proceed to stand still all the way up after turning it on at the nearest train station

:iiam:

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

djwetmouse posted:

Here so Obligatory Handle can sleep at night...

It's built like a staircase so walking makes sense. If you want to stand move to the right. (or left I would assume in Anguilla, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cyprus, East Timor, Hong Kong (Special Region of China), Indonesia, India, Japan, Macao, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Afghanistan, Botswana, Kenya,Botswana,Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Australia,
Christmas Island , Cocos , Cook Islands , Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island,Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Tokelau, Tonga,Tuvalu,Guernsey, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Malta, United Kingdom, Guyana, Suriname, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, U. S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Falkland Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, Maldives, Mauritius, and Seychelles.)
Not a big deal.

Lmfao that you actually wasted your time looking all that poo poo up.

Also a lot of those countries aren't in Europe. Jfc.

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 6, 2015

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the best part of moving walkways is when you are walking at the end of the conveyor and you feel your body decelerate once you step on the floor it's a funny feeling and it last for a split second but i always appreciate it

if you've got the room, take a running leap off one. it's p. fun.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Make them like those floor pianos you walk on so if you dtand still it's just an endless droning single note all the way up the escalator

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
just constantly plays the fat tuba riff over and over.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

a few weeks ago, i saw a group of teenagers break open the locked escalator on/off switch box and then proceed to stand still all the way up after turning it on at the nearest train station

:iiam:
teenagers are dumb, this is somehow a mystery, goons baffled by "teenager" phenomenon

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tendai posted:

teenagers are dumb, this is somehow a mystery, goons baffled by "teenager" phenomenon
:ms:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

when I walk on conveyors I feel like I'm in one of those dreams where you're walking/running normally but inexplicably moving real fast

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't try to walk the wrong way on a conveyor EVER. I thought I was being cool and you make it half way to figure out you have to really walk fast to beat the conveyor.

THEN YOU STOP and the first thing that hits you IM GONNA LET A MACHINE BEAT ME?

gently caress THAT

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

The South shall rise again. They just do it really, really slowly

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mandator posted:

goddamn, the steps are already moving, where does your important rear end need to be so fast?

This directly contradicts the premise of the thread FWIW HTH SMD

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Lots of lazy rear end people in Chicago think escalators are a ride, too.

It's not just the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

concerned mom posted:

how long do you ythink itll be in america before no one has to move their legs

Wall-E is the single most prophetic and accurate science fiction story of the last few decades.

• Locked thread