Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If Koopa took over the mushroom kingdom via a violent military coup (as seen at the start if the movie) and became dictator for life then why are there those huge VOTE FOR KOOPA posters in the background all through the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A reminder that Bob Hoskins hated making that film more than anything in his life:

Bob Hoskins posted:

The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a fuckin' nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin' nightmare. Fuckin' idiots.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I still haven't figured out why they had Princess Daisy in the film instead of Princess Peach.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The only Super Mario Bros film I acknowledge is スーパー マリオ ブラザーズ ピーチ姫救出大作戦! (Sūpā Mario Burazāzu Pīchi-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen!) which was released in 1986 in GLORIOUS NIPPON and the baka gaijin live action movie is dead to me. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpRYwNviSus

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Joust posted:

I was very young and I got a luigi figurine for the movie and it was only when I grew up that I realised I had owned a John Leguizamo action figure.

Well at least it wasn't a Fisher Stevens action figure

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bob Hoskins had to do all his own stunts and had the poo poo beaten out of him during the making of that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFlrfA0gcD0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember how the movie ended on a cliffhanger when Princess Daisy reappeared and told the Mario Bros she needed their help? Remember how the movie bombed so badly that the sequel they set up was never made? Well someone decided they couldn't live without that sequel so they made a Mario Bros 2 webcomic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

haljordan posted:

Has anyone killed Mojo Nixon yet

He's almost completed his metamorphosis into Andre the Giant so death can't be far behind

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phobic Nest posted:

For some reason I've been trying to watch this but naw I'm done. For some reason Luigi is blue (bluigi lol) and extremely money-hungry (jewigi lolol) and gently caress it, not my weegee.

Luigi was back to his usual green clothing three years later in part 3 'Super Mario Shirayuki-hime‎' of アマダアニメシリーズ スーパーマリオブラザーズ (Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15VvZ5UQCs

For some reason they went "gently caress that Mushroom Kingdom storyline bullshit, let's just shoehorn the characters into classic fairytales"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is my Luigi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnU-2HRJNO4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WatermelonGun posted:

did they make a mojo nixon action figure?

Doesn't look like it. Ain't no one got time for a Mojo Nixon action figure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfq2Cp1-zcc

WatermelonGun posted:

i always wanted to motorboat that big black chick in this movie. like mash my face down her cleave and then she could use those rocket boots to take me away from my sad reality.

Fun fact: that character was called Big Bertha. There was a monster in the Mario games called Big Bertha but it was a fat red fish:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

since the princess lady was hatched from an egg it stands to reason that her titties did not have nipples

Also she probably doesn't have a belly button. Or a separate vagina and rear end in a top hat, she has has an all-purpose cloaca. Also her hair is probably just really thin proto-feathers.

This is magical :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
During the course of this thread we have thought wayyyyy more about this film than the directors probably did

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=criC5YPY2Lg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Johnny Aztec posted:

It was all so hosed up because the script was for somthing else, and that Husband and wife team just shoehorned as many Mario References in there as they could.

Naw, it was always going to be a Mario film and they'd gone through a stack of writers and several directors before they got to the shooting stage. You can actually see how the script evolved (and de-evolved) over the various different rewrites.

Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper and everyone else were hired on the strength of one script but when they turned up to start working they were handed a completely different script. Hopper was supposed to be on site for just 5 weeks but that blew out to 17 weeks. It was a ttoal clusterfuck/

In the end the producers took over the whole thing and arranged a bunch of reshoots without the directors and even locked them out of the editing suite.

Here's as good article about how this movie shoot was totally hosed from the get go

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ryoshi posted:

Also daisy makes my pants fit weird

I have some terrible news

I looked up Samantha Mathis' IMDB page to see what she's been doing recently and apart from some TV work it's mostly been christianity-themed movies and Atlas Shrugged 2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Also, Yoshi is apparently a pretty drat advanced animatronic, like some of the Jurassic Park people showed up on set to check him out. Took like 8 people to pilot him from what I remember.

Yeah it was loving crazy:

quote:

The Yoshi puppet was capable of making 64 separate movements due to 200 feet of cable crammed inside its 3 foot tall structure. In all, no less than 9 puppeteers were used to operate the Yoshi puppet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKhy6dO5nw

This site has a whole bunch of other production photos:

There were dozens and dozens of highly skilled artisans working their butts off to bring this movie to the big screen and the directors were loving around making script changes up to and during filming and dicking around obsessing over tiny details (at one point one of the co-directors poured a cup of coffee over an extra because he thought her costume wasn't grungy enough) and arguing amongst themselves rather than concentrating on the big big picture.

Edit: the movie pretty much killed the directors' careers. Rocky Morton didn't direct anything else for another 11 years until he had a few straight-to-DVD things in the mid 2000s and then disappeared again. Annabel Jankel also didn't direct anything else for another 12 years and even then they were just a few TV and straight-to-DVD stuff (including one TV episode this year).

The writers didn't fare much better. Parker Bennett got a writing credit on an episode of the TV series Sweet Valley High 3 years later and then disappeared. Terry Runté died the year after SMB was released without having any further screen credits. Ed Solomon (who was called in to do a complete rewrite at one point and then fired and then brought back later to script doctor the resultant mess when they got a new script but went over budget and had to abandon large chunks of it) managed to escape pretty well unscathed. He was already well known for writing the Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure movies and later went on to write Men In Black, Charlie's Angels and Now You See Me and was working on the Spider-Man spinoff movie Venom (which is now in limbo after Sony struck their deal with Marvel).

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

I've seen all 3 parts

loving why?

• Locked thread