Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Windows 98 posted:

The difference between justice and vengeance is simple. Justice is resolution devolved out of the law of the land and abides by the moral code of society. Vengeance is whatever the gently caress you want due to a personal vendetta for punishment. I can serve justice as a judge who wasn't involved in the altercation. If something didn't actually happen to me I can't act out vengeance (avenging is different but also not justice).

You loving idiots I swear to god.

haha calm down dude its not like he hit here with a shovel or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I mean sure if you want to grossly simplify things I'm basically proposing everyone have a one free get out of manslaughter ticket but the overall intent is to focus on a justice system that devotes it's money towards reducing incidents rather than one that devotes money towards punishing people because that's what is right. Some level of deterrence via possible penalties will of course be a positive thing but I think in a case like this locking the father up for negligence wouldn't do any good.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
genetically engineer dogs to pack heat then do the thing in kids books where they choose between owners. losers get a facefull of double ought

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Frostwerks posted:

haha calm down dude its not like he hit here with a shovel or anything

Please do not make light of shovel crimes. Shovel violence is an epidemic which is sweeping the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXQ49jtr6HQ

BONK! BONK! BONKITYBONKITYBONK!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean sure if you want to grossly simplify things I'm basically proposing everyone have a one free get out of manslaughter ticket but the overall intent is to focus on a justice system that devotes it's money towards reducing incidents rather than one that devotes money towards punishing people because that's what is right. Some level of deterrence via possible penalties will of course be a positive thing but I think in a case like this locking the father up for negligence wouldn't do any good.

Not unless you take the additional step of taking the kid and giving him a lot of therapy and better education than "shoot other people you don't like" maybe

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

No one grossly oversimplified anything, you have consistently and clearly argued for everyone having a free get out of manslaughter ticket, and yet somehow believe this will reduce further incidents. It seems like it might reduce repeat offenders, but I imagine the overall incidence of negligent homicide would go up if we decided on this as punishment.

We could probably greatly reduce the amount of future negligent homicides by publicly executing the father and/or son, but thankfully our justice system and overall ideas of fairness aren't built around short term measurable goals such as that.

The U.S. undeniable has a lovely criminal justice system, but you should at least think about whether or not your proposed changes to it would be result in a net positive, because it doesn't seem that they would. It seems you want to completely eliminate the idea of criminal negligence as a way to fix unrelated issues with the prison system, as well as being weirdly concerned over maintaining a traditional nuclear family structure for the kid.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Even if you don't MEAN it that way, the ease with which it's interpreted to mean "everyone gets a freebie" kind of shows why it would be a bad way to run the criminal justice system like that. Laws are open to intepretation and that interpretation isn't a good one.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
someone hasn't said it this page yet so

if only she had gun, then this, not happen

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had thought that was just goon hyperbole that people said that but no the shooting in Oregon made otherwise rational people on Facebook go nuts with it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If the victims only had guns, too... They'd miss the shooter and hit some innocent bystanders and then when SWAT gets there 10 minutes later they won't know who is who and they'll just shoot everyone with a gun.

Brilliant.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It helps when you have extremely wealthy gun manufacturer's lobbying that comes right out and tells you that is the correct opinion to have:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
seems to me the parents should be executed and the kid sent to police academy. hes gonna be a fine cop

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Zero posted:

hes gonna be a fine cop
Girl was white, you are incorrect

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
guns dont kill people, tezzor's censorship does

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
imo each NRA boardmember should be forced to pick a rifle (nothing insane just a regular gun) and then they should all be forced to go into the worst parts of LA or Chicago and just hang out there for a month. Like they're on a camping expedition or something.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
MaKayla...Yeah I'm conflicted.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Marketing New Brain posted:

No one grossly oversimplified anything, you have consistently and clearly argued for everyone having a free get out of manslaughter ticket, and yet somehow believe this will reduce further incidents. It seems like it might reduce repeat offenders, but I imagine the overall incidence of negligent homicide would go up if we decided on this as punishment.

We could probably greatly reduce the amount of future negligent homicides by publicly executing the father and/or son, but thankfully our justice system and overall ideas of fairness aren't built around short term measurable goals such as that.

The U.S. undeniable has a lovely criminal justice system, but you should at least think about whether or not your proposed changes to it would be result in a net positive, because it doesn't seem that they would. It seems you want to completely eliminate the idea of criminal negligence as a way to fix unrelated issues with the prison system, as well as being weirdly concerned over maintaining a traditional nuclear family structure for the kid.
Except nothing I've argued for even remotely implies that, I think imprisonment should be off the table for people who are not an active danger to society, but I've also repeatedly said that other restrictions of freedom could be relevant and necessary. I've also said that some punishment as a deterrent is reasonable (so long as there is evidence to support it's effectiveness), just that the punishment shouldn't be prison when it's not necessary. There are plenty of ways to give negligence consequences that don't involve pretty much removing someone's ability to be a productive member of society for the rest of their life. The goal of the justice system should be to reduce crime, not to punish, sometimes these goals will overlap and that's fine, but I think our current system places far more emphasis on the latter than the former.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the kid is a natural
whats the problem

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

You guys keep ignoring the fact that this is in a rural area. Things are different out here. The closest help can be 30 minutes away sometimes.

Firearms are a necessary part of life. You guys keep talking like "UGH WQOW I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THERE WAS ACCESS TO A FIREARM" like... hunting rifles, shotguns, and handguns are just a part of life out here.

Which is why the kid should go down for 1st degree murder. He knows what guns are, knows how to use them, knows what they can do.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

If the victims only had guns, too... They'd miss the shooter and hit some innocent bystanders and then when SWAT gets there 10 minutes later they won't know who is who and they'll just shoot everyone with a gun.

Brilliant.

I don't think I've ever heard of this happening. Statistically it has to have happened once, at some point, somewhere. Seems like it would be something the media would latch on to as well. It just never ever comes up. Pretty sure it's a big myth OH NO WHAT IF THIS EDGE CASE TRAGEDY THAT NEVER HAPPENS ACTUALLY HAPPENED?!?! You hear about police and military collateral damage all the time though maybe we could take those guys guns away for a trial run and see how it works out?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

CuteJen96 posted:

they don't have to be locked up. I keep my glock 40 loaded with a round in the chamber on my nightstand. i keep the shotgun under the bed and in reach.

America.txt

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gary oldmans diary posted:

the kid is a natural
whats the problem

yeah he's a shoe in for special forces

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harrower posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of this happening. Statistically it has to have happened once, at some point, somewhere. Seems like it would be something the media would latch on to as well. It just never ever comes up. Pretty sure it's a big myth OH NO WHAT IF THIS EDGE CASE TRAGEDY THAT NEVER HAPPENS ACTUALLY HAPPENED?!?! You hear about police and military collateral damage all the time though maybe we could take those guys guns away for a trial run and see how it works out?

happened just the other week actually. Bystander w/ gun tries to shoot carjackers, ends up hitting the victim in the head and then ran away.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Harrower posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Indy posted:

America.txt
Could only be more so if it was a gated community

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i legit want everybody to be armed now i think it would be hilarious and funny and yes that is the correct response to have to every american packing heat at all times

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

theres like 5 gun threads in gbs now

Fewer than the number of gun murders in America today so keep posting

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

theres like 5 gun threads in gbs now

tezzors gonna change some hearts and minds

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

imo each NRA boardmember should be forced to pick a rifle (nothing insane just a regular gun) and then they should all be forced to go into the worst parts of LA or Chicago and just hang out there for a month. Like they're on a camping expedition or something.

What makes you think you'd have to force them, they'd pay for this privilege

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

happened just the other week actually. Bystander w/ gun tries to shoot carjackers, ends up hitting the victim in the head and then ran away.

He policed up his brass, gonna have to give him a pass on this one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CuteJen96 posted:

You guys keep ignoring the fact that this is in a rural area. Things are different out here. The closest help can be 30 minutes away sometimes.

Firearms are a necessary part of life. You guys keep talking like "UGH WQOW I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THERE WAS ACCESS TO A FIREARM" like... hunting rifles, shotguns, and handguns are just a part of life out here.

Which is why the kid should go down for 1st degree murder. He knows what guns are, knows how to use them, knows what they can do.

Yes sometimes you can't wait 30 minutes before shooting somebody, it's really different out here in the sticks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you lameass city slickers with your cops doing all the shooting omg

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 3 years!)

it's better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Out here in the Bushland we take matters into our own hands when it comes to puppies

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

CuteJen96 posted:

We should open an american zoo. You'd be the premier attraction.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i dare say the people who represent gun manufacturers may not be supporting guns for reasons of "freedom"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CuteJen96 posted:

I don't give a poo poo where you live, don't give a little kid who still has a developing brain (as in they don't even have a fully developed sense of empathy at such a young age) access to guns or teach them how to use them.

Don't leave your loving gun loaded.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ArbitraryC posted:

Well except the dad is an adult capable of making their own decisions and understands what death is. That would be murder then and as a potential danger to society it would make sense to have them behind bars for some period of time. Depending on how much culpability you want to assign an 11 year old with a shotgun, while you could still call this a murder the fact that the kid got ahold of the shotgun was not premeditated on the dad's part. It was irresponsible sure, and he shouldn't be allowed to have guns, but if he had no guns he wouldn't be a danger.

Manslaughter?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I don't give a poo poo where you live, don't give a little kid who still has a developing brain (as in they don't even have a fully developed sense of empathy at such a young age) access to guns or teach them how to use them.

Don't leave your loving gun loaded.

Look sometimes your 10 year old gets in an argument over a puppy and somebody needs to get shot, that's just how it is in THE WASTELAND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
that guy got shot in the head but is in stable condition he must be very lucky as far as someone who gets shot in the head goes

• Locked thread