Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hooded Reptile
Aug 31, 2015
If the underground fire at the Bridgeton landfill reaches nuclear waste in the nearby West Lake landfill, St. Louis County emergency planners say they’re ready.

County Executive Steve Stenger has released to KMOX a plan drafted in October of 2014, which aims “to save lives in the event of a catastrophic event at the West Lake landfill.”

The 11-page document warns “there is a potential for radioactive fallout to be released in the smoke plume and spread throughout the region.”

Cities in the potential path of radioactive fallout are listed: Bridgeton, Hazelwood, Maryland Heights, the village of Champ and the city of St. Charles.

“This event will most likely occur with little or no warning,” the study claims.

It also warns that local resources may not be adequate, and there will be a need for assistance from federal sources, the private sector and volunteer organizations.

In releasing the document, Stenger says he wants the public to know that the county is preparing for an event that everyone hopes will never take place.

“None of this is meant to be alarmist, but you have to be prepared,” Stenger says.

The disaster plan would go into effect under the direction of the first responding fire department to the landfill in the event of a surface fire.

Pattonville Assistant Fire Chief Matt LaVanchy says if someone were to call 911 and report smoke coming from the landfill, his team would go in first.

LaVanchy says equipment would be in place “within a half hour” to test the smoke for possible radiation.

If radiation were detected, some nearby residents would be urged to evacuate, and others would be urged to take shelter in their homes.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2015/10/05/st-louis-county-releases-disaster-plan-for-west-lake-landfill/

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
who would notice

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why in the gently caress is there an underground fire near a nuclear waste disposal site?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

why in the gently caress is there an underground fire near a nuclear waste disposal site?

the earth is full of lava so its basically underground fires everywhere

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i alwaays thought why not dump waste down like a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge hole where nothing could ever reasonably happen to it that would affect humans, but no we just half rear end it like everything else

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

good, they deserve this for what they did to pizza

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Can we nuke Missouri?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i want to get high on slow burning radioactive waste

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
welp, :smug:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i alwaays thought why not dump waste down like a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge hole where nothing could ever reasonably happen to it that would affect humans, but no we just half rear end it like everything else
Because the technology doesn't really exist to house nuclear waste permanently so you have to design the storage to be accessible in the future before it all leaks out into the ground and ends up in your water supply. For example the lab I work at is close to where we developed the bombs for ww2 and there we have a bunch of nuclear waste containers that are currently slowly leaking because past engineers were like "in the future they'll figure this out, we only need these vessels to last until the 70's" and now it's 2015 and we're still not sure how to handle them.

e: Importantly though modern nuclear energy does not necessarily need to develop much waste, this issue is more a relic of the past

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 6, 2015

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

In master of orion 2 this is a legitimate technology to research

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ArbitraryC posted:

Because the technology doesn't really exist to house nuclear waste permanently so you have to design the storage to be accessible in the future before it all leaks out into the ground and ends up in your water supply. For example the lab I work at is close to where we developed the bombs for ww2 and there we have a bunch of nuclear waste containers that are currently slowly leaking because past engineers were like "in the future they'll figure this out, we only need these vessels to last until the 70's" and now it's 2015 and we're still not sure how to handle them.

Oh drat. Dumb plan, but pretty American imo

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

this poo poo is peak stl

if it happens there'll be a radiation plume over the drat airport and that'll be loving hilarious imo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They illegally dumped waste there from the Manhattan project, that is why it's there you gibbering idiots.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

it'll probably just work itself out

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Oh drat. Dumb plan, but pretty American imo

There wasn't really much else they could do, you could just make more and more shells around the tanks to make them last longer but it's basically just a matter of how many generations they wanted to kick the can down to.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
dump all radioactive waste in space or central africa

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
sounds effen gay. reminds me of a big old dick

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ArbitraryC posted:

There wasn't really much else they could do, you could just make more and more shells around the tanks to make them last longer but it's basically just a matter of how many generations they wanted to kick the can down to.

probably cant make a hole as deep as im imagining, really

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i want to get high on slow burning radioactive waste

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope this means the Cardinals have to disband.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
More ghetto land in St. Louis to house the unwashed

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fishy Joe posted:

dump all radioactive waste in space or central africa

then where would we store your posts

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
SAINT louis? er ok

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Lil Peeler posted:

In master of orion 2 this is a legitimate technology to research

Lol I was trying to look up the name for this (I think they were deep core dumps) and found out that in real life it's also a legitimate technology to research
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_borehole_disposal

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Aralan posted:

Lol I was trying to look up the name for this (I think they were deep core dumps) and found out that in real life it's also a legitimate technology to research
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_borehole_disposal

ya this

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

probably cant make a hole as deep as im imagining, really
There are limits to this kind of technology yeah, but I couldn't tell you what they are or how far off we are from it being a possible thing to do. There are 3 factors in how you deal with radiation, distance, shielding, and time, so putting it deep in the ground would certainly be effective so long as you can guarantee it's not near any groundwater but drilling really deep is significantly easier said than done. IIRC the most recent plan in washington was to just shove the waste into a man made pocket in a mountain, but that fell through due to a mixture of things.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Can we nuke Missouri?

This but unironically.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ArbitraryC posted:

e: Importantly though modern nuclear energy does not necessarily need to develop much waste, this issue is more a relic of the past

Ok put the old containers in bigger newer containers. SOLVED SEND ME MY CHECK!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ArbitraryC posted:

There are limits to this kind of technology yeah, but I couldn't tell you what they are or how far off we are from it being a possible thing to do. There are 3 factors in how you deal with radiation, distance, shielding, and time, so putting it deep in the ground would certainly be effective so long as you can guarantee it's not near any groundwater but drilling really deep is significantly easier said than done. IIRC the most recent plan in washington was to just shove the waste into a man made pocket in a mountain, but that fell through due to a mixture of things.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Oh poo poo, everyone in Ferguson is going to get superpowers. There won't be a CVS left standing on this planet!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

Ok put the old containers in bigger newer containers. SOLVED SEND ME MY CHECK!

I think this is a plan they have legitimately looked into but there's an issue of the structural integrity of the current ones.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Missouri loves company

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
What if we just bury it underground and light it on fire

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
This is what community looks like

*pans through a neighborhood of screaming zombies, flesh bubbling off*

Show them what community looks like

*armed forces at road blocks shooting contaminated missourans trying to flee*

This is what community looks like

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
So far I think all they've really done is make the waste more thick by removing moisture which retards the rate it's presently leaking into the environment.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dont say retard

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It is extremely funny to me that we as a species have to live with tons of highly toxic man made waste for tens of thousands of years because we got in a dick waving contest with the Soviets for a few decades.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr Cheeto posted:

They illegally dumped waste there from the Manhattan project, that is why it's there you gibbering idiots.

this, it's not even an actual waste disposal site, it's a Superfund site because of poo poo idiots did 50 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
We got some o that Fukushima funk in are dumpster fire chief

*dons big boy helmet and ring binder with a nuke sign on it*

Don't worry I got this

• Locked thread