Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Cause I usually read quote unquote serious lit and I was in the mood for something fun but I'm not gonna read it if it's gonna be a repeat of my ready player one experience

Look into Bizarro Fiction for some really fun and weird fiction.
Here's Sam Pink's Amazon catalog, he's pretty literary compared to other members of the 'movement'.
I suggest Rontel, but any of his works are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

My new book is about a guy who jacks his pud on the surface of another world

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Look into Bizarro Fiction for some really fun and weird fiction.
Here's Sam Pink's Amazon catalog, he's pretty literary compared to other members of the 'movement'.
I suggest Rontel, but any of his works are good.

this looks like some tao lin poo poo

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh

Read this it's as light as ice cream truck ice cream and hilarious http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Circle-Piers-Anthony/dp/0380018004/

ha I'll check that out thanx

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bug Bill Murray posted:

ha I'll check that out thanx

Not intentionally hilarious BTW

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's really really good, i would recommend it to almost anyone, the prose is pretty bad from an artistic level but you will not give a tiny bit of poo poo about how underdeveloped and underwhelming the characters and dialogue are because the real entities peopling this novel are engineering problems and their solutions

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't think so Loden Taylor

nah bro they're all beep boop poo poo's crazy

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I liked science fiction a lot more when it was about telling stories and exploring characters and reflecting on humanity instead of smugly fixing every problem with :techno: and then soapboxing about the author's politics and fetishes

loving lol, proving you have never actually read any sci fi

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

nomadologique posted:

it's really really good, i would recommend it to almost anyone, the prose is pretty bad from an artistic level but you will not give a tiny bit of poo poo about how underdeveloped and underwhelming the characters and dialogue are because the real entities peopling this novel are engineering problems and their solutions

The novel peaked with Dostoevsky because the ultimate engineering problem is man's inhumanity to man, and the only solution is Jesus.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Agag posted:

The novel peaked with Dostoevsky because the ultimate engineering problem is man's inhumanity to man, and the only solution is Jesus.

thanks now i don't have to read any more books.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i read brothers karamazov once and i couldn't help but think alyosha is a boring turd and probably more retarded than the town mute.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Does the book ever have a scene with him masturbating on Mars?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

nomadologique posted:

thanks now i don't have to read any more books.

You can still read STEM textbooks and/or the Bible.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

no but you can assume it happens, i guess robinson crusoe was also totally sexless but i haven't read it.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Agag posted:

You can still read STEM textbooks and/or the Bible.

difference being??

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

nomadologique posted:

difference being??

Deus scientiarum Dominus est

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

au contraire, deus ex machina est

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

wet fart

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PoPcornTG posted:

Does the book ever have a scene with him masturbating on Mars?

There's a whole chapter dedicated to it. Later Nasa gets mad he throws his astro cum socks outside because he needs to save his jizzz to make rocket fuel. They go into the Isp values of each load and everything.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

There's a whole chapter dedicated to it. Later Nasa gets mad he throws his astro cum socks outside because he needs to save his jizzz to make rocket fuel. They go into the Isp values of each load and everything.

and that was how life began on mars

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dear Rote Learning Wunderkinder:

Obv your work hours will blow us Westerns out of the water, what with the effort and strain you put into micromanagement, results oriented thinking, and anything at all that can be petty.

Wow project much?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Horniest Manticore posted:

this looks like some tao lin poo poo

You should his books, they are loving awesome.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You should his books, they are loving awesome.

I WISH I COULD THROW PLATES AT YOU RRR

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EngineerSean posted:

Wow project much?

I'm real angry in my posts about things tonight

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
tired of hard sci fi movies

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
the movie better than the book

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ya esp that scene where he duct tapes his face and his pms'ing suit sighs in relief

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

isn't tao lin that crazy nyc rape dude? wikipedia says yes

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

and then there was this whole thing about the nyc alt lit scene being all rapey and literally no one was surprised or scandalized except the ppl involved?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

do you mean to say those tryhard hipsters who affect an air of liberal openmindedness are actually rapey insecure sexually damaged cases of arrested development like every single other generation in the history of the world? holy moly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The movie kinda lost me when the Chinese decided to help save Pirate Ryan. The Chinese are soulless monsters, they totally would've let him die.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

nomadologique posted:

he's a rapist now too? i feel strangely great knowing that

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Volcott posted:

The movie kinda lost me when the Chinese decided to help save Pirate Ryan. The Chinese are soulless monsters, they totally would've let him die.

they did it to get a chinese astronaut on the next mars mission, this is made clear in the book but is only referenced in the credit sequence when martinez says hey baby wassup to the chinese astronaut before launch

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

he's a rapist now too? i feel strangely great knowing that

he got accused of rape by a mentally unstable former gf/future bf (eventual transman) who was 16 and he was 22, so at least in the eyes of the world it's stat rape and there was blah blah about pressure but his accusal then prompted at least one other young-and-vulnerable to accuse someone else in the nyc alt lit community of most definitely raping through emotional coercion, but surprise the entire thing is complicated by the fact that these people are (a) young (b) stupid/self obsessed (c) enmeshed in webs of power that make it seem difficult or impossible to resist predatory behavior from scene "figures"

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
There is some stuff with the rebreathers in his space suits that made me raise an eyebrow but it's close enough and more detail would only be interesting to people like me and not that many people own rebreathers Irl

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Intercepts are easy you just launch straight up and catch the passing ship

Don't worry about matching velocities.

They kinda reeled that back at the end after the first time but then took three steps back when ironman crap

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Absolutely no psychological angst from being loving stranded on another planet.

Hell he even knows and forgives the crew for it

Would've been a lot more interesting if he was super mad about it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ironman crap is not in the book, the end is actually quite anti climactic so it's kind of a shame but also unsurprising they changed it

him being angry would made the book actually unreadable, and since it's not really a book about him so much as the problems he encounters, the author made the right choice (the only functional one)

if he had been angry the book never would have sold and nobody would care about it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

nomadologique posted:

nomadologique posted:

he got accused of rape by a mentally unstable former gf/future bf (eventual transman) who was 16 and he was 22, so at least in the eyes of the world it's stat rape and there was blah blah about pressure but his accusal then prompted at least one other young-and-vulnerable to accuse someone else in the nyc alt lit community of most definitely raping through emotional coercion, but surprise the entire thing is complicated by the fact that these people are (a) young (b) stupid/self obsessed (c) enmeshed in webs of power that make it seem difficult or impossible to resist predatory behavior from scene "figures"

nobody cares

• Locked thread