Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
she's a fanfiction writer, so she clearly has a unique and convoluted backstory that makes her incredibly special among ymps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Odd that she still has 2 unused sleeves. Guess she doesn't need to completely go crazy for this one.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd be pretty funny if it rewound Allison to "back before she started dyeing her hair and working out."

It destroyed her nail polish, so wiping out the hairdye definitely isn't out of the question.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Superstring posted:

Genocidal angel or no, I do wonder what his plan is for dealing with a Demiurge.

I don't think he is going to deal with a Demiurge.

I think he's just going to re-corporealize White Chain, tell it to go endear itself to Alice, and keep his distance.

Clever way to make an angel go where you want: put a spike in it, move its armor, pull the spike out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

blastron posted:

5 Dollar Footlong Deceives The Masses

I think they just reincarnated, actually.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

team overhead smash posted:

Actually based on Morrison's Quantum Theory of Supermans, Superman is infinite once you take into account 4th dimensional narratives.

what about 5th dimensional imps? does that bring us back into a finite number?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tenebrais posted:

I think her point is more along the lines of "I may rule a hundred thousand universes but I still need to keep up appearances".

Yeah, it seems like she's trying to convince Allison (and may or may not actually herself believe)that the reason she is a rapacious empress is because it is inherently necessary. To play the leader of 111,111 worlds and balance to 6 other demiurges, you need to have a bit of an iron fist.

And to be honest, I'm not sure she's wrong.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That reminds me of one of my favorite comic book moments. The villain takes control of the hero (Blue Beetle) and sets him against his unpowered best friend. And because they're a villain, they decide that rather than let the Blue Beetle fight with just his alien supersuit, they use some magic to transform him into what he secretly desires:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I wonder how much her cognition is affected by her age. In other words, does she only feel this way when she's her young self?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ElMaligno posted:

If you can quantify an entire universe into a number, and there are a finite number of universes, then there is a finite number of worlds.

Granted that number is in a magnitude that we cannot comprehend and is easier to imagine it as infinite, but its still finite.
No, that just means you're not using an injection to map the universe to a number. It doesn't say anything at all about the size of the universe.

Let f(x) = 1 for all x in R^n. Your codomain {1} is a number, which is finite, so there must be a finite number of elements in R^n. QED.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 19, 2016

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

wiegieman posted:

Come on, man. N is countably infinite.
sorry that was an oversight i fixed my proof

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
i'm finding the idea of a bird swordsman a little too farfetchd

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

A.o.D. posted:

names can be a lot of things. Allison is just a name, and not a good one, because she's no one's son.

Some names are descriptions of character, like the angels.

Others are mission statements, like Murder the gods and topple their thrones.

I wouldn't be surprised if Himself was a rubric of some kind.

Finally some names are prophecies so strong that they border on Fact, like Al-Yis-Un, Kill Six Billion Demons.
:eng101: "-on" is a French diminutive suffix (like -ette) so Allison means "Little Alice", not "Son of Alice".

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know it's a FYAD thing but what's the actual genesis of that spiel?

Or is it so much a fyad thing that further questions are meaningless
It started with Pitch Black, a sci-fi movie from the late 90s/early 2000s starring Vin Diesel as Riddick. It did well enough to merit a sequel, The Chronicles of Riddick.

With that in mind, FYAD poster graey alien invented a character who would really enjoy the Riddick series and the character Riddick in particular, and made up a funny post in that character's voice.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That hairpin is a tuning fork, isn't it. Hrm.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Ashcans posted:

The idea of spending $150 on kit for a high school sport seems crazy to me
I've got some bad news for you

(Also I can't get over the fact that a dude with a warhammer avatar is worried about spending too much on a hobby.)

edit:

berenzen posted:

I don't know about football, but hockey is around 500-1500 depending on quality of equipment and whether you bought it used or not. Goalies are probably around 750-2000.

Skates are 80-100+
Stick is 50-1000
Only $100+ for skates but up to $1000 for a stick? Where are you buying your sticks? Unless you're talking about a kid who breaks a $250 composite literally the day after its warranty ends and you're not using your credit card's extended warranty, you'll be hard-pressed to break $1000.

Meanwhile, decent senior skates start around $200 on sale and skyrocket from there.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 31, 2016

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
When confronted with a real fight, I didn't expect 6 Juggs to just split like that.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm kinda hoping Allison ports herself right back into the middle of her roommates.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Looking forward to the flashback where we find out that Cio's been sitting on that airship for the last 30 pages just waiting for a chance to make her grand re-entrance, just trying out different poses.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Cio and Blueberry had me thinking about devils and names. Ciocie Cioelle Estrella Von Maximus the Third, versus Princess Mamoru Moonshine Jagermeister Jack Jack Daniels Timothy Tim Bill Freddy Mercury Blueberry Luna, Esquire.

Those are two rather different ways of having multiple names. Obviously Luna got her name from Allie's key forcing it on her. But Cio's could just be a person's name. First, middle, last, fake title suffix (of Maximus?), age suffix. I mean, Prince William is technically "Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, KG, KT, PC, ADC(P)". Do other devils have names that pass as a single name like Cio's?

Or I guess what I'm really saying is I keep getting the feeling that given Cio's vague history/backstory, there's something curious about her blue devil-ness.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
well according to barthes i can totally decide they're magic scissors

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm guessing White Chain's word choice in the last panel is rather deliberate: I'm sure White Chain wants to see the power returned to the true king, I just doubt they think that Zaid (or any human) is the true king.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Operant posted:

Sometimes I make funky art errors and it amazes me how people interpret it. It's fixed in the print edition.

This post with Operant has him now claiming Allison pulled the needle out the entire time. We know he’s telling the truth because he’s been saying this from the very beginning, right?

No, of course not. Up until this interview he’s talked about it as a change to “fix” the character.

I guess we call call this “Allison Pulled the Needle Out Excuse: The Special Edition”. He’s gone back to his own excuses and edited them to make them “better”. Much like the Star Wars: Special Edition changes all he’s doing is pointing out how terribly his thought processes works.

First, let’s compare two versions (there are multiple versions of the changes, this just has one):

Renaissance Robot posted:

I totally didn't notice that you changed it but I have the book to hand so I went to look:

Subtle!

In the original there’s only speedlines from the angel's head, no signal to the audience at all that Allison moved anything. If he meant for viewers to know Allison didn't develop telekinesis, first his storytelling ability is worse than Stephan Meyer’s. At least in Twilight we know who is doing what, even though we don’t care because it’s terrible.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

the best part of that is the shadow of the cameraman on the razer scooter, furiously pedaling to keep up with the car

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

ConfusedUs posted:

I just noticed he has prints up for sale now.

I'm sorely tempted to get some big ones. I loving love the art in this comic.

quote:

$12.80 $16.00
YOU SAVE
50%

uh

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tenebrais posted:

My reading is that Yabalchaoth stole Mammon's entire key, but the key of creation is only a fraction of Mammon's power - the keys are prizes for the powerful, they don't themselves make demiurges.

I mean, Mammon bought his key, so obviously his wealth was more valuable, and thus more powerful, than the key.

And I seriously doubt his investments have lost money since gaining mastery over a hundred thousand odd worlds.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hiveminded posted:

Newly-summoned Cio is holding a chain in the last panel, which I guess clarifies the new relationship she had with her husband.

criminals are a cowardly and supersitious lot, so cio must become something that strikes fear into their heart.

she must embody what they most fear. a chain... a... white chain

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
you know, there's no scissors anywhere on the latest page, so how did they cut cio's hair?

i'm thinking allison's magic scissors and now this unexplained haircutting are foreshadowing for some bigger barber-related twist

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I really hope that goes up on the site on 4/1.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Fish Noise posted:

That "Incubus, god." line is also making a callback to their first encounter. Both times he's leaning in on the dreams-are-weird thing, although significantly more so now.

Huh, I had forgotten that Incubus knew/knows that Allison is Kill Six Billion Demons, not Zaid.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
the eyes are the mirror to the soul so she's seeing things backwards

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Stormgale posted:

I guess these priests are countless in number.

they might be infinite, but they're definitely countable

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

PMush Perfect posted:

Demiurge4 posted:

teaching a 9 year old algebra.
Honestly a more impressive feat than the whole Demiurge thing.
basic algebra is introduced far earlier than you realize these days (example)

appropriately enough, a great little app to learn the basic operations of algebra is dragonbox

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
God emeritus?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Based on the hover-text: Cio "died", as predicted, and was "revived"? (i.e., Cio was killed by Yabagail the same way Obi wan claims Anakin was killed by Vader)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pureauthor posted:

00001 is gonna be so loving pissed off by the end of this arc.

gotta replenish the ranks of the pursuers somehow

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

A Spherical Sponge posted:

I think it's cool how mottom's key changes depending on her emotional state (mainly how furious she is). Like here it's sort of stable but glowing and on fire a bit because she's calm-angry, but in the most recent one here it's sort of contorted and writhing because she's entirely consumed with unrestrained fury. Also I just really love her as a villain in general.

a key change is a time-tested way to introduce drama and tension to a work

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Have we had any explanation why devils seem to have little part in this? Yab seems to be the only one with any real interest in ambition towards having a key, and the pursuers seem to be entirely warm/cool flames.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I wonder, is that the original form of 6 Juggernaut Star in the top-right corner of the flashback in panel 2?

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-20/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
alt text link